Getting nervous about up coming TKR SURGERY. Should i get a ice machine or not?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm confused about my need to use a ice machine or not. My medical team said that I won't need one and ice packs will be all I need. My Daughter had shoulder surgery and she said she couldn't have lived out one. I have read it both ways here in forums but I'm still not sure and my surgery is Oct.28th, what to do,,what to do???

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Brenda no matter what shape or form you get it in..ice will be your constant companion!  I am 8 weeks TKR and still use it faithfully after all physical therapy sessions, after being active all day and before bed.  Check with your MD who is doing the surgery about the machine.   Every hospital in our area that is doing TKR's are automatically issuing the ice machine to you after surgery...whether you want them or not.  Yes, they are very expensive.  On my hospital itemized bill it was listed at $560..medicare and my suppliment paid for it.  You can get a new one on ebay for about $130 new or $75 used.  They require 8lbs of ice every 24 hrs and you can get bags of ice at McDonalds 2/$1.50.  I also went to a medical supply store and got the huge blue ice pack and use that for "quick ice down" when swelling gets really bad (which is often).

Above all...please remember that this surgery is like no other!  Recovery is measured in months, not weeks. Be faithful in you physical therapy, do your home exercises, rest whenever and wherever you can and do NOT let the pain get ahead of you...take those pain meds along with plenty of water and laxatives!  Stay close to this forum, we are here for you. 

• Posted

Hi Brenda,Good luck for your op. Please make sure that you have a good team of helper's.Get easy foods for microwave! You need to take a day at a time.regards Amanda

• Posted

My last total knee i tried to use the machine and it was too heavy on my, ice packs are better i think

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.