Getting off 5mg Valium daily habit advice

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello all, just wanted to share my story for some feedback. I've been taking 5mg of Valium a day for about a month and a half. Mostly for back pain (relaxes my muscles) and for stress/anxiety that I get at the end of the day, half from being at home all day, and half from my lovely 3 yr old daughter who is a bit of a handfull. I didn't realize that it was so habit forming, and am trying to get off of it. Is only 5mg a day enough to get withdrawel symptoms? I find that if I haven't taken it by 6 pm, and start getting stressed, I feel like a mild panic attack is coming on, and get short and snappy, and sensitive to loud noises, people talking ect. I've gone from the 5mg to half (2.5) for the last two days and feel like hell (on top of fighting a cold/cough) I've got a terrible headache, nausea, out of body feeling, deppressed, zero motivation....thinking I should ween off more gradually maybe. Not easy as well as my wife has never taken drugs or had withdrawels from anything..... I would like to get off of it and move on. Any feed back or advice is welcomed. Cheers! 

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I understand where your coming from, Valium is in a class of drugs called Benzodiazapines, in short they relax the central nervous system.  They are only usually prescribed for short periods of time but they are highly addictive (pyhsically) and mentally.  If you have only been on it for a month your withdrawals should not be too bad but Valium esp have  very long half life around 72 hours so if your taking every day it builds up in your system.  It effects the GABA receptors in the brain, hence the relaxing feeling you get from them.  It it very dangerous too come of any of these drugs cold turkey, from exp I was on a higher dose and other benzo's also I ended up having seziures and in hospital.  I dont want to scare you as I dont believe you would be at risk of this with 5mg for a month.  I do suggest you tapper your dose down very slowly, talk to your doctor and he will suggest a plan so your withdrawals are not as bad, like you said HELL.  Doc's rarely tell you about the risks of these drugs and they think, "oh it will be out of  your system in 72 hours youlll be fine then" unfortunatly thats just where it begins.  I'm not a doctor but have had a fair bit of exp with Valium.  If  you dont talk to your doc and get a plan I would cut your tablets and go from 5mgs to 2.5 as you have said, only stay on the 2.5 for at least a week or two then cut the half tablet in half so your taking 1.25 for another week or two.  It depend on how many tablets you have left.  If you find you simply cant handle it there are detox clinics you can go too which will medically monitor you and bring you off, its not fun and alot of people that try to get off by themselfs dont succeed or re lapse.  Positive is your on a low dose and have not been on it for long.  It is hard when  your Partner does not understand what these withdrawals are like,  there are prescription drug counseling for family so they can understand how you feel and you do feel like your in hell, try drinking lots of water getting your vitamns exercise, it sounds easy but harder to do.  My thoughts are with you and remember your not alone.  I dont no where you live? I'm in Australia so options vary.  I wish you all the best
    • Edited

I was on  fro 3 years 5 mg at night  for restless leg syndrome.  When I stopped  , I  stopped immediately. No  side effects  no addiction. Nothing.  i guess everyone  responds differently though. I cant do more than 5 mg or i feel ill
    • Edited

Wow I'm so glad to read this as I think it's got a lot to do with your state of mind.I've been on 5mg for 10 years and never felt a need to increase in fact I take half sometimes and it works as well.I take to help me sleep,I have tinnitus that's why I started to take them and they do help.I do think they are a good drug if used with caution.So glad you gave them up with no problems.All the best

• Posted

I understand where your coming from, Valium is in a class of drugs called Benzodiazapines, in short they relax the central nervous system.  They are only usually prescribed for short periods of time but they are highly addictive (pyhsically) and mentally.  If you have only been on it for a month your withdrawals should not be too bad but Valium esp have  very long half life around 72 hours so if your taking every day it builds up in your system.  It effects the GABA receptors in the brain, hence the relaxing feeling you get from them.  It it very dangerous too come of any of these drugs cold turkey, from exp I was on a higher dose and other benzo's also I ended up having seziures and in hospital.  I dont want to scare you as I dont believe you would be at risk of this with 5mg for a month.  I do suggest you tapper your dose down very slowly, talk to your doctor and he will suggest a plan so your withdrawals are not as bad, like you said HELL.  Doc's rarely tell you about the risks of these drugs and they think, "oh it will be out of  your system in 72 hours youlll be fine then" unfortunatly thats just where it begins.  I'm not a doctor but have had a fair bit of exp with Valium.  If  you dont talk to your doc and get a plan I would cut your tablets and go from 5mgs to 2.5 as you have said, only stay on the 2.5 for at least a week or two then cut the half tablet in half so your taking 1.25 for another week or two.  It depend on how many tablets you have left.  If you find you simply cant handle it there are detox clinics you can go too which will medically monitor you and bring you off, its not fun and alot of people that try to get off by themselfs dont succeed or re lapse.  Positive is your on a low dose and have not been on it for long.  It is hard when  your Partner does not understand what these withdrawals are like,  there are prescription drug counseling for family so they can understand how you feel and you do feel like your in hell, try drinking lots of water getting your vitamns exercise, it sounds easy but harder to do.  My thoughts are with you and remember your not alone.  I dont no where you live? I'm in Australia so options vary.  I wish you all the best and feel free to write back.  I've been battling these addictions for a long time and the worst thing is it was given to me by my doc and I trusted him, unfortunatly we were the test subjects for these drugs, they have been dishing them out for 30 years.  Now the proffesion no's how addictive they are they just dont want to no about them and leave you in the lurch.  I hope you have a good doctorr to help you or find one..

Take care you will be fine.

• Posted

Hey nicola, thanks for the reply and info, good to hear feedback. It's been a month and a half I've been on them, but about the same like you said, not that long. Good to hear should be easier for me. I'm in Aus as well, went to one doc and she gave me 15mg Oxazepam and a antideppressant, and told me I could quit the Valim cold turkey. Not very happy w/ her advice.....gonna try to stick out the 2.5 dose, and keep up w/ the gym/exercise and swimming, just gotta get over this stoopid cold! I'm down in Vic, sou east of Melbs, so weather sux which doesn't help the blues......I work on the boats, and am on a rotation, 3 months on, 3 off, and heading back in a few weeks. Would like to be off of them by the time I'm back to work. Also hard as while I'm home have alot of free time and go stir crazy sometimes being stuck inside all the time.....not to winge. Anywho, thanks again for the advice n' kind words.
    • Posted

So... Now im scared after reading this.. My doctor gave me the same prescription 5mg once a day but i take it once every 2 days (not every day) am I at risk of becoming addicted? I’m not weak mined so the chances of me becoming addicted mentally are slim. but what about physically? 
    • Posted

Hey Miguel, yeah I would be careful w/ it. Do your research.....I had no Idea about it like I said, and next thing ya know I can't go a day w/o it, and it ain't easy to kick. If you were perscribed for anxiety, I would look into natural stuff. I can't wait to be off this s**t and will never go back. How long have you been on it? I'm pretty strong willed too, quit smoking 6 yrs ago, cold turkey and never touched one since. Just sayin'....Take care. Mark
    • Posted

Sorry at first when I read the second message i though it was from you Mammal133, so I typed this up. then realised it was from Miguel1990 butive sent it you as well, hope you dont mind.

Please don't be scared, you sound very strong minded and if your only taking 5mg every 2 days I really dont beleive you are at risk of addiction considering you have made the dissision to stop.  If you were pysically addicted you would probably be feeling horrible on the day you dont take one.  So thats positive.  My problems have been much bigger than yours, I mean taking alot more and mixing benzo's.  By the way my doctor at the time put me on all these meds, I was not doing it for fun, prob like you, you had a real reason.  Its usually safe to be taking them for a month or two.  Let me no how you are feeling? Physically, any shakes, tremors, sweats no sleeping paranoia, bad Anxiety no appetite etc.  Also your cold would be making you feel worse.  I ran low on my meds a little while ago and got a cold, don't no if its just me but when I wasnt getting what my body needed i constantly felt like i was coming down with a cold.  I did get some Cold and Flu tabs and they did help but it lingered a little.  Once your Flu go's you will feel better.  Also dont disregard taking the odd Paraceamol if you have any fever with your cold,  they do help. You sound like you are a healthy person and if your still keeping up your excersise your doing well.  Lots of water to flush the toxins out also  There are other over the counter medications that can help if your  if in fact your withdrawing, although I think in your case your withdrawals, if any should not be too bad.  Phenergan is a antihistimine but it is also used for sleep, non addictive and safe, the 25 mg ones you can take up to 3 they may make you a little drowsy but you will sleep.  Depending on your tolerance to medications, if you have not used Mersyndol or any Codine based products much then these will work well for you too. Mersyndol and any Codine based products can be addictive if your taking them all the time so just take when needed.  It's hard for me to say as I dont no your history.  Another if your not sleeping is a product called Restavit, it's over the counter and  to people with low tolerance, a good calmative and sleep tablet, you chemist will tell you the pro's and Con's you may not have to take a whole tablet, like me i need several,  Im suggesting these just too get you thru if you are indeed feeling bad.

RE: you doctor, yes its fine to try a antidepressant but they can take up to 4-6 weeks to take effect and are prob a good thing to try, they are non addictive but some have side effects, mainly weight gain but you being a guy it's not as bad.  I cant believe any doctor saying just stop the Valium cold turkey.  Well I can believe it but they should not do it, she prob thinks because you have only been on them for a short time you'll be fine but evey person is different. 

I did not mean too scare you, considering how long and how much your taking, i really dont think you will be addicted but good too get off before you becaome like me and so many others.  Reports say getting off Benzo's if your a long time user are worse withdrawals than Herion, I can vouch for that that.  It's a lot longer process and actually leads to CNS Central Nervous System Depression.  Before Is I say any more pls let me no how you are feeling and side effects etc like i said above.  As I've stated Im no doctor, just lots of experience and I'm happy to lend a helping hand.  Im in NSW, Central Coast.  So before you panic let me no and we can go from there.  There are also natural remedies, I try everything, I probably no more than the doctors about this subject as many others that have gone thru what I have.  I wont bombard you anymore but when I get your reply we wll go from there.  You Will be fine, you have a strong consitution.  Try to stay positive.  When your partner does not understand that's where I found this forum good.  Even if you just want to get something off your chest or scream or cry or have a good old whinge, it helps.  Dont feel like your whinging, Im happy to help in any way if I can.  I wish I had that in the begining and may be I would not have become as bad.  If you are feeling not good we can discuss how to ween you off very slowly.  Keep on doing what your doing.  Until I hear from you ,take care and I'll be sending you good thoughts.  HANG IN THERE MATE.  Best Wishes.  Nx

• Posted

I'm sorry I read your reply to mammal133 and thought it was from miguel, so I hope you dont mind ive responded, only trying to help let me no if you dont want me to post anything too you, just a mix up but still same subject.  relevant to both of you.

Please don't be scared, you sound very strong minded and if your only taking 5mg every 2 days I really dont beleive you are at risk of addiction considering you have made the dissision to stop.  If you were pysically addicted you would probably be feeling horrible on the day you dont take one.  So thats positive.  My problems have been much bigger than yours, I mean taking alot more and mixing benzo's.  By the way my doctor at the time put me on all these meds, I was not doing it for fun, prob like you, you had a real reason.  Its usually safe to be taking them for a month or two.  Let me no how you are feeling? Physically, any shakes, tremors, sweats no sleeping paranoia, bad Anxiety no appetite etc.  Also your cold would be making you feel worse.  I ran low on my meds a little while ago and got a cold, don't no if its just me but when I wasnt getting what my body needed i constantly felt like i was coming down with a cold.  I did get some Cold and Flu tabs and they did help but it lingered a little.  Once your Flu go's you will feel better.  Also dont disregard taking the odd Paraceamol if you have any fever with your cold,  they do help. You sound like you are a healthy person and if your still keeping up your excersise your doing well.  Lots of water to flush the toxins out also  There are other over the counter medications that can help if your  if in fact your withdrawing, although I think in your case your withdrawals, if any should not be too bad.  Phenergan is a antihistimine but it is also used for sleep, non addictive and safe, the 25 mg ones you can take up to 3 they may make you a little drowsy but you will sleep.  Depending on your tolerance to medications, if you have not used Mersyndol or any Codine based products much then these will work well for you too. Mersyndol and any Codine based products can be addictive if your taking them all the time so just take when needed.  It's hard for me to say as I dont no your history.  Another if your not sleeping is a product called Restavit, it's over the counter and  to people with low tolerance, a good calmative and sleep tablet, you chemist will tell you the pro's and Con's you may not have to take a whole tablet, like me i need several,  Im suggesting these just too get you thru if you are indeed feeling bad.

RE: you doctor, yes its fine to try a antidepressant but they can take up to 4-6 weeks to take effect and are prob a good thing to try, they are non addictive but some have side effects, mainly weight gain but you being a guy it's not as bad.  I cant believe any doctor saying just stop the Valium cold turkey.  Well I can believe it but they should not do it, she prob thinks because you have only been on them for a short time you'll be fine but evey person is different. 

I did not mean too scare you, considering how long and how much your taking, i really dont think you will be addicted but good too get off before you becaome like me and so many others.  Reports say getting off Benzo's if your a long time user are worse withdrawals than Herion, I can vouch for that that.  It's a lot longer process and actually leads to CNS Central Nervous System Depression.  Before Is I say any more pls let me no how you are feeling and side effects etc like i said above.  As I've stated Im no doctor, just lots of experience and I'm happy to lend a helping hand.  Im in NSW, Central Coast.  So before you panic let me no and we can go from there.  There are also natural remedies, I try everything, I probably no more than the doctors about this subject as many others that have gone thru what I have.  I wont bombard you anymore but when I get your reply we wll go from there.  You Will be fine, you have a strong consitution.  Try to stay positive.  When your partner does not understand that's where I found this forum good.  Even if you just want to get something off your chest or scream or cry or have a good old whinge, it helps.  Dont feel like your whinging, Im happy to help in any way if I can.  I wish I had that in the begining and may be I would not have become as bad.  If you are feeling not good we can discuss how to ween you off very slowly.  Keep on doing what your doing.  Until I hear from you ,take care and I'll be sending you good thoughts.  HANG IN THERE MATE.  Best Wishes.  Nx

• Posted

Me again, I just read up on Oxazepam, it's also a benzo, and from what Ive read a quite strong one, so It would prob be stopping and withdrawal if you were having them.  Dont no why she would prescribe you these, just be careful they say they should not be used for more than 4 months. or yet again addiction.  did she only give you one 15mg or a bottle? They are for Anxiety. Funny thats one benzo ive not had anything to do with, it will prob get you off the Val's easier and quicker just make sure you dont swap the witch for the bitch, if you no what i mean.  She will monitor you.

Pls let me no how you go on these, as they may help me get off the Vals.  I look up every med that they try to give me these days.  Interested to hear back from you.  Still suggest stay on the 2.5mg vals. Cabin fever sucks no all about it.  So thank you, we can help each other.  Till next time  N.

• Posted

Thank you so much this was very uplifting. I'm sorry you had to go through all that sad but you as well sound like a strong willed person I will keep in touch with you! God bless you and thanks for making me feel better. 
    • Posted

Your more than welcome, hope you are doing well.  Imm all ways here if you need.  You can private converstion me if you would rather.  Have a great day down there in beautiful but cold Victoria.  biggrin  Dont be a stranger, ha ha funny thing to say really as we dont physically know each other, you no what I mean.
    • Posted

Hi there was just wondering how you have been?  I hope all is going well for you and I have thought of you and even though not overly religious i'vve said a few prayes for you too.  God bless you and Take care.  if You can let me know how your going,  Nicolarolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Miguel1990, I think that 5mg every 2 days is safer than every day. I am new to this group but have withdrawn from 10mg a day over 2 years. Now I am on 5mg and the best way to withdraw is only drop 1/4 or 1/2 mg every two weeks. I hope this helps you. Many blessings, Jane
    • Posted

I was prescribed valium for neck issues but never took them,I took 1/2 of a 5mg tab today for a severe anxiety attack !

Will I have to go through any withdraw symptoms from taking 2.5 mg ?

I know it sounds like a dumb question but I feel like a zombie right now,I just wonder how long it will last and do I expect to feel like S**t until this leaves my system?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.