Getting off 5mg Valium daily habit advice

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello all, just wanted to share my story for some feedback. I've been taking 5mg of Valium a day for about a month and a half. Mostly for back pain (relaxes my muscles) and for stress/anxiety that I get at the end of the day, half from being at home all day, and half from my lovely 3 yr old daughter who is a bit of a handfull. I didn't realize that it was so habit forming, and am trying to get off of it. Is only 5mg a day enough to get withdrawel symptoms? I find that if I haven't taken it by 6 pm, and start getting stressed, I feel like a mild panic attack is coming on, and get short and snappy, and sensitive to loud noises, people talking ect. I've gone from the 5mg to half (2.5) for the last two days and feel like hell (on top of fighting a cold/cough) I've got a terrible headache, nausea, out of body feeling, deppressed, zero motivation....thinking I should ween off more gradually maybe. Not easy as well as my wife has never taken drugs or had withdrawels from anything..... I would like to get off of it and move on. Any feed back or advice is welcomed. Cheers! 

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi mammal ,

I have this problem with 3 other painkillers that don't get to bottom of problem just mask the system ,On discussing it with a little old lady in Boots even the pharmacist was laughing.What caused this is that maruana  is legal in uk & may be a better alternative and more organic .

• Posted

Hi skybluepink, Pot not legal in Ausralia yet, they are tryiing to do it for medical reasons only.  It can help a little but not much for me, every ones different.  Im on other pain killers too.  Hope you dont mind me butting in.  Take care
  • Posted

Just an update.....I've been off the evil lil yellow b*st*rds now for over 3 weeks I think, and am all good and moved on. A big part of moving on was that I came home to the states, and the weather is beautiful, around friends and family, moutain biking and being busy, playing w/ kids, hiking in the woods, most of the time I am/was so busy I wouldn't even think about them. Point being, staying busy, being around good people and outdoors made it way easier plus went and saw a lady in Aus and learned about 'EFT Tapping' and it helped alot. Check it out. The key is learning to deal with stress without drugs or booze. I still drink beer, but not to cope, just cause I like it....lol. Take care all, good luck!
    • Posted

So happy to hear your news, congratulations.  I will look into EFT tapping.  Enjoy being home, I loved going there, use to go alot.  Sounds wonderful.  Proud of you ver much so.  Keep up the good work, ever forget we are still here for you if you need it.biggrin
  • Posted

I've had a supply of diazepam for 2 months and take only as and when I need to with a max of 15mg per day but I only took either half or a 5mg when needed to in a day often not every day. 

I discussed it with my GP and he said he was 100% sure I would not become dependent as I was treating them with the respect they deserve and as a result he offered me another small supply. 

I often find if I take 5mg it doesn't do anything much for my anxiety when it gets high apart from makes me wobbly and a feeling of being a bit tipsy but 2.5mg tends to be right. 

I really think you need to know yourself and trust your GP and if your concerned speak to him/her, I sent my GP and update via email on my vilium use and asked that if he was concerned to ring me to discuss it, he didn't but acknowledged the email when I saw him and he said it was a sensible approach and gave him confidence in my attitude towards them. 

Just to finish off ive a very addictive personality so if I'm doing ok them I'm sure you are also. N

• Posted

Hi mammal33

you need to come off more slowly go to The Ashton Manual just go to google and put in the name. This is the best way to get off any benzo has charts showing you how much and how often to tapper.

Ray

• Posted

Dr Ashton deserves to be given an OBE - it's just a shame she's retired, she's probably the only medical professional who truly understands all of this. Googling her pages to anyone reading this & suffering is so very important xxxx
  • Posted

Take your withdrawal slowly then you are less likely to have withdrawal symptoms.

Yes Diazepam is an addictive drug and was recently reclassified under the drugs act.

It is now an offence to have diazepam without it being prescribed by you Dr.

If you are struggling then slow down your reduction.

Proud of you x

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda, hope this finds you well.

Saw doc other day, Valium has not been reclasified but Xanax has, up to Schedule 4, thats a good thing.  Although may be different over there.  Take care, have a good christmas and keep doing what your doing girl.  Im doing much better also. xxxx

• Posted

I am thinking of decorating so I don't feel so alone. Dog and cats doing fine.

Passed a computer exam - taking a course.

Its two days,a week for five weeks.

I passed with 87%.

Room for improvement.

Have a lovely Christmas 🎅 with lots of fun..

thank you for your good wishes xxx

• Posted

Hi i have been on 10mg diazapam since 2006 doctor at my new surgery with my move cut me down to 6 mg and sent me to discussions about this medicine to help my self come totaly off it never worked he stop priscribing me total bad mistake sent me off the rails in my shell depresed so i ended up with the back plus back up to 10 mg daily too yellow tablets one morning one evening plus 40mg diluxatine capsulse which i have reduce to 20mg i have days were i take one tablet or none or then might need a day with 2 to be honest i would say what i new from the start murdered my deppesed mood and got me on my tracks now am stuck with an addiction so to be honest in my eyes you are wanting the tablets yourself dont let it get you addictied like i have let it. I no its only a month but you would be ok with out it and get another drug none addicted but if that is the only one for you you feel i no you will cause a long term depedant to them am living proof my advice to any one try to find another medication unless this is the only help but it will leave you dependant.
  • Posted

All normal, only thing to do is see your Doc and come of a little slower, I no what its like.  HELL is an understatement.  Thinking of you, Go tell your doc you will feel better. Let me know how your going, a few tricks i have.

• Posted

Hi All, I stumbled onto this forum thanks to Dr Google!! I noted there are a few Aussies on here, I'm from NSW and was very relieved to read other peeps experiences with valium. I was recently given 5mg of valium every 4 hrs for 6 days/nights in hospital, (I'd had a seizure) then sent home with a script for 1 x 5mg to be taken every day for 7 days. That all seemed fine then a number of times I took 2.5mg in the middle if the night as I have sleep problems......naughty I know now. I also have taken 1/4 of the 5mg tabs if I feel dizzy etc as I'm super scared of having another seizure. The truth is, since being discharged from hospital I have eaten 28 x 5mg tabs over a period of 7 weeks. Seemed like nothing to me but now, I think I am in a spot of bother with headaches, anxiety and nausea plus a few other nasties mentioned on here. Hard to believe I could be in withdrawals but I think I am. My current method is taking 6 panadol a day, it's not working well, loads of fluids and trying not to stress. I'm thinking with the remaining 1 1/2 5mg valium in my possession I could split it up to 1.2mg doses (or close enough) giving me 9 days to taper. You may think I'm completely mad but I just don't want to continue with these drugs and I don't wish to torture my family any further. I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions to get thru this!!!
  • Posted

Well after reading some of these posts i really don't want to take these Valium's that were prescribed to me today and I was also prescribed hydrocodon and i am going to take them back to the pharmacy tomorrow and see if they have something else they prescribed them to me because I have severe back pain so I really want to wish you good luck on kicking these pills
    • Posted

I've been taking 12 mg/day (sometimes 8 mg if I forget to take a dose) since 1994 for a balance problem. My old doctor retired and my new doctor had me take a drug test. Something went wrong with the test and diazepam didn't show up on it! So now he won't prescribe it. I'm running out. I've never taken more than the prescribed dose. I'm afraid of the return of dizziness as well as withdrawal symptoms.

• Posted

Good for you Manuel,I suffer lower back pain and once or twice a year have physio, I also take GoPo natural rosehip, you can buy in chemist or on line.They take about three weeks to start to work and they work for me..completely natural, worth a try.All the best
    • Posted

Ok Manuel, don't panic, go to health shop and buy some VALERIAN tablets and if the dizziness returns go to out patient at hospital and they will help you.Valeriam is a natural herb that works like valium.Hope you will be ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.