Getting off 5mg Valium daily habit advice

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello all, just wanted to share my story for some feedback. I've been taking 5mg of Valium a day for about a month and a half. Mostly for back pain (relaxes my muscles) and for stress/anxiety that I get at the end of the day, half from being at home all day, and half from my lovely 3 yr old daughter who is a bit of a handfull. I didn't realize that it was so habit forming, and am trying to get off of it. Is only 5mg a day enough to get withdrawel symptoms? I find that if I haven't taken it by 6 pm, and start getting stressed, I feel like a mild panic attack is coming on, and get short and snappy, and sensitive to loud noises, people talking ect. I've gone from the 5mg to half (2.5) for the last two days and feel like hell (on top of fighting a cold/cough) I've got a terrible headache, nausea, out of body feeling, deppressed, zero motivation....thinking I should ween off more gradually maybe. Not easy as well as my wife has never taken drugs or had withdrawels from anything..... I would like to get off of it and move on. Any feed back or advice is welcomed. Cheers! 

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, from what I've read you need to ask your doctor for advice.I've been on 5mg for over 10 years and I too worry about stopping and what to expect, I've read to take 2.5mg for two weeks and then half that for 2 weeks and Same again until you stop.May work for you but after many years I don't think it will be ok for me.However I think it's up to the person and how determined they are.The mind can influence results, so stay strong.Good luck

• Posted

Hi, wondering howmyou got on with tapering. I have been on these for over three years and having difficulty with depression.  I want to cut them down but just cannot seem to do it.  I know slow is the way to go, how was your experience
  • Edited

saw a reference to Phenergram somewhere in these posts. It is not safe. It can cause Akathisia. look it up before using it.It is for nausea so seems innocent. Not so

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.