Getting off of PPI's

Posted , 14 users are following.

Has anyone successfully gotten off of PPI's? I'm currently taking 50 mg Pantaprozole before bed. Omnaprozole didn't work for me at all. It appears to have stopped working. I would like to cut the PPI's out completely. I'm afraid to go 'cold turkey'. What works? 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why do you want to come off? If they are working what is the problem with staying on them. I have been on PPI for over 10 years now, they are wonderful and enable to lead virtually a normal life. I read so many posts here with people suffering because they won't take medication. 

yes there can be side effects and potential risks but the greater risk is driving a car, accidents occur every day, people die every day in cars, but why doesnt that stop you getting in one? because you view the car as essential. I view my PPI as essential and the risks associated with it are so small its not worth worrying about.

Stand back and wait for people to decry what I say!

• Posted

I'm really glad that they are working for you. They aren't really working that well for me. I still have horrible nights with GERD.  The ranitadine is great and I'm not looking to give that up. I'm fairly certain it's my gastroenterologists plan to wean me also but I'd like to hear about how other people did it. Thanks very much for your input!  

• Posted

Your right stand back! PPI's are lethal, they cause osteoporosis, Rob the body of magnesium and in the words of two pharmacists that medication will kill you! It's impossible to have to much acid, it's not draining away, so another organ is failing, not enough acid is more like it, ie food sits in the stomach and fermentation takes place, giving you the same symptoms. 

• Posted

Hi Frederick,

Are you better now that you are off of them and if so what did you do?

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi chandra, firstly I'm a life long sufferer with anxiety!!!!  What has that got to do with it I hear you say? 3 years ago when I started on PPI's my anxiety started to rise! 4,5, weeks ago I stopped taking PPI'S, gradually my anxiety got less, it's always high! Regarding so called acid reflux? Again I'll state you can't produce to much acid! Less acid is produced as we get older, yes I burp, break wind, but so does everyone! Digestive enzymes, bicarbonate of soda, Apple cider vinegar, Aloe Vera. 

• Posted

Yes me too especially over the past few months with my health issues and acid reflux so now I don’t know what is physical and what is mental. I’ve had a lump sensation in my throat since my first endoscopy a few months ago and prior to this I woke up one morning with a lot of pressure beneath my breastbone that didn’t allow me to eat and I kept burping constantly. This caused a full blow anxiety attack and I ended up in the er. I’m currently on nexium but want to come off as the nexium isn’t helping with the pressure and lump. Did you behave similar symptoms or just heartburn ? 
  • Posted

I did get off of them a few years ago, they weren't much help.  I was taking 2 prilosec a day and it seemed to make it worse, so i went down to 1 pill and that was better, after that I went down to 1 pill every other day for about a week then a pill every 3 days for maybe 2 weeks then a pill just when it got bad which it will because it is the rebound effect, you have to just live with it being bad for a few weeks it's not real bad though, it does tapper off to nothing,   I was glad I quit taking them.  I still have silent reflux, if I stay away from coffee and don't over eat I am fine

• Posted

Thanks. That sounds like a good plan. What is 'silent reflux'? 

• Posted

Hi Debra,

Do you get a lump in your throat feeling with silent reflux? I’ve had this for a while and am praying it will go away soon. Thanks!

• Posted

It is called "silent," because it does not necessarily involve the symptoms normally associated with acid reflux, such as heartburn. However, it can lead to hoarseness, frequent throat clearing, and coughing.  My main symptom is shortness of breath if I have coffee or over eat

• Posted

Hi are, there's no physical addiction! Your psychologically addicted! I was on them for about 3 years, at one time for 5months the hospital put the dose up to 80mg, PPI's are lethal! I was told that by a pharmacist. Have you got to much stomach acid???? You know it's virtually impossible to have to much acid??? Not enough acid is more like it! But they won't tell you that because they can't peddle their drugs then.

• Posted

Oh, I know that there is no physical addiction. I thought that most people tapered off. Did you stop cold turkey? How did that go?
    • Posted

its not impossible to have too much acid although i agree ppi r evil. I have too much acid i don't know if it caused by ppi. 

i was prescribed ppi (pantoprazole 40) for hyperacidity. after taking ppi for 4 weeks i tried to come off them but acid came back with vengeance . it was supposed to happen (rebound may be) but i was not aware of that so i went back to doctor & he gave me more ppi. i had no option but  to take those med for 2 years because its unbearable at that time sour water coming back to my mouth pure acid . i had no option day after day i started to symptoms even on ppi. my stomach started burning , severe dysphagia even on them, 8 months 

continuously i was getting lump that has not improved with higher dosage of ppi. 

so i decided to go off them & its been 5 months still i am trying. i started wean process 5 months ago slowly reducing the dose & 3 months ago i switched from ppi to zantac. I have to take 3x150 mg zantac everyday to find some relief . In this 3 months my lump thing has improved not totally gone but its much better.  But i am still on 450mg of zantac everyday which started to give me side effects. i am getting ribs and back pain 

teeth bleeding. i am sure i can not be on them for long . i have tried to reduce the zantac from 450mg to 375 mg but i am getting horrible acid . sour water coming to my mouth it tasts like 100 lemon juices literally impossible to take . i am loosing hope now . probably some ppl have to take ppi for life.

i have gone through every test endoscopy twice, ultrasound twice , multiple blood test some more than twice, ct scan everything is fine. apart from the acid i have 

I am 28 healthy male. i don't smoke , drink, not overweight.  

• Posted

Susan, technically your right by saying you have to much acid??? But that is because your body is not draining away excess acid, so whatever system drains the acid is not working properly? Personally I was on PPI'S 3years!, I just quit!!!! And I'm definitely not better! But certainly not worse. Don't know what country your living in? But how do you know you've got to much acid? There's no fool proof test in this country ( UK) I know off? You can do the home DIY test? No PPI'S  or any antacid meds for 4,5 days, then first thing in the morning small glass of water, heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda mix it, swallow it down and time??? If you burp, belch in under 3mins your stomach acid is high, if after 3mins not enough acid, I don't burp at all, so why the hell am I taking PPI'S ( because they get paid for pumping you full of pills)  if you burp after 3mins, I mean quite a while after, try digestive enzymes, peppermint, ginger turmeric etc. Why? Because the food is sitting in your stomach and fermentation takes place, giving off???? Gas. Good luck.

• Posted

I've been experimenting and taking  a very small dosage (2.5 mg) of klonipin whenever I start to feel heartburn coming on and it seems to work. It's not happening every day. It also seems counter intuitive because anxiety meds presumably cause GERD. I am starting to believe that the experts have no idea what is going on and how it all works. Doing research, I see one site suggesting drinking MILK and another saying NO DAIRY.  Is it lots of acid or is it low acid. 

I drink almond milk a couple of times a day and if I'm having a bad day, I take the ranitadine. I don't eat much, only some bone broth and maybe some crackers. 

How is your diet? If you are having side effects, maybe it's time to try something new. 

• Posted

Peppermint is a no  no. When I was pregnant I had bad heartburn and everyone told me to drink peppermint tea, now they say that it's horrible for you. 

Gum helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.