Getting off of PPI's

Posted , 14 users are following.

Has anyone successfully gotten off of PPI's? I'm currently taking 50 mg Pantaprozole before bed. Omnaprozole didn't work for me at all. It appears to have stopped working. I would like to cut the PPI's out completely. I'm afraid to go 'cold turkey'. What works? 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have tried, numerous times to quit, because I was scared of the risks.  All I can say, is drink plenty of water, take supplements, especially magnesium, make sure you get vitamin D and calcium, and eat a healthy diet.  
  • Posted

Hey Arj, do you think the pantoprazole is making you sick/nauseated? I suspect thats what its doing to me

i take 80mg, 40 in the morning 40 at night

• Posted

Not nauseated but I also suffer from migraines. PPI's leach away magnesium and you are taking a lot of it. Try taking magnesium! I take chelated magnesium - the other kind will have you spending a lot of time in the bathroom! 

• Posted

So you suspsect the nausea may be coming from the magnesium deficiency?
    • Posted

I can't diagnose you but it is a symptom of magnesium deficiency and you are on a very high dosage of PPI's. 

• Posted

I have stopped after 13 years, about 6 months ago I developed horrendous burning stomach pains, every test and scan came back normal, was is gastritis, ulcer, it had to be something nothing could feel that bad and be nothing. GP said come off esomeprazole and take a H Pylori test, came off, first 3 weeks were hard but bearable with ranitidine 150mg twice per day and gaviscon, also took mastic gum 1000mg which helped.  During the 3 weeks stomach pains disappeared, they completely went, could it be PPI?  H Pylori test all clear, but as I was pain free was happy with that.  After a really bad episode took 1 x 20mg esomeprazole within 6 hours stomach pain back again, didn't take anymore and pain gone again within 2 days, it was the PPI and to prove it, I stupidly did it again took 1 and got the pain which then went when I stopped.  I am still struggling with acid on occasions, but nothing will make me take esomeprazole again, I may see if a less stronger one works, but am coping with just ranitidine and gaviscon for now. I also have less headaches and feel less tired.  If they work for you great, but they definitely stopped helping me.  Be brave just go cold turkey, I did and can now save the NHS money by not having unnecessary tests. 

• Posted

Hmm. Maybe I will go cold turkey. Right now I am taking it every other day. I keep putting off my gastro appointment because I am recovering from shoulder surgery which just complicates everything. NSAIDS caused heartburn that nothing could handle, even the gel, so I can't take them at all. 

PPI's leach away magnesium so it makes sense that you would be having more headaches and other symptoms. Magnesium is an underrated mineral and older people (like me - I'm 58) actually need more of it than the blood tests indicate.  You may come out in 'normal' range but not be.

• Posted

58 eh? I wish, 67 and agree! Magnesium sucker, just quit, they hold more of a psychological threat. I'v done it. 

• Posted

I've been off of Pantaprozole for about 2 weeks. 

I had a couple of bad days and just took an extra dose of ranitidine in the morning. Otherwise, I have very mild GERD on occasion. I am slowly transitioning into the Mediterranean diet

I was kind of hoping to lose some of the weight that I put on while on it, but no luck.  It's all in my stomach!!! I am sure that this stuff is poison. 

• Posted

All Proton pump inhibitors are very dangerous , they practically turn off all your stomach acid . You need stomach acid to brake down your food , or you are depriving your body of essential nutrients . Acid reflux is in fact due to a failure of the valve on top of your stomach to close properly . A single drop of acid in your esophagus will create heartburn , most people actually have too little stomach acid , not too much .

You have to wean yourself off the PPI’s slowly , reduce the dose and replace with acid reducers , then with acid neutralizers . Take digestive enzymes with your meals and consume lots of probiotics , for example kefir .

• Posted

I've been off of them for a few weeks and doubled up on my ranitidine. I'm doing ok. Thanks. Yogurt may actually be a trigger for me, even home made yogurt. 

• Posted

Rainbowsend, click on start your own discussion, saying private message for?? Whoever. I'll send you one. 

• Posted

No, I'm not lactose intolerant. It might be histamine intolerance.

• Posted

I have been on ppi's for many years now. about 20 to be exact. nothing seemed to work. medication after medication. scope after scope. different doctor after different doctor. days without eating, just to not have to deal with the pain or aftermath. I decided to try an off the wall product I found online. to my belief I was wowed. just trying to maybe help a few others out. I will try to attach a link you can see for yourself. ... 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I would love to know what you used , I don’t know how to send a private message 
    • Posted

I want to know too.  Feel free to PM me.  
    • Posted

Please private message me the link! 

I've been using Aloe Juice, Lilly of the Valley organic and it does seem to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.