Getting Off Topamax Due to Hair Loss - Angry and Need Advice

Posted , 19 users are following.

In April, I finally saw a Dr about my weight. I had been watching what I eat, exercising and drinking half my weight in water every single day and still not losing any weight. At the time, I weighed 237 lbs. I should have been losing weight with diet and exercise, so I figured maybe I should get some tests done to make sure my health was okay.

My blood tests came back great! I'm in good health as far as my blood work shows, but I obviously need to lose weight. So, my Dr suggested a weightloss pill with the speed of lightning. I, being all about a helping hand, said "OF COURSE!" However, I did ask her these questions:

"Will it cause anxiety?"

I asked this, because I was put on Adderal as a young girl and it made me anxious to the point of attacks. It was awful. I always ask this of medication now because I don't ever want to go through that again. In response, she said "Well, not Topamax. It's actually used as a mood stabilizer, so it'll be good for your anxiety."

Amazing! Losing weight, helps with anxiety... What more could I ask for. Then I asked:

"What should I avoid? What should I expect?

She said I didn't have to avoid anything. She said I didn't need to expect anything, just weightloss.

Well, great! SIGN ME UP SISTER!! God, I wish I had never, ever everrrr accepted this drug. The next few weeks weren't hell, but they were just confusing. I didn't have anxiety because I was cloaked with confusion. The brain fog was real, the tingling in my hands and feet was real, but that stuff didn't really bother me because I was slowly losing weight. Just slowly, though. Nothing drastic. I could handle those side effects. The pill actually helped me sleep. I didn't mind it, until... I started losing my hair. The one thing I loved about myself, the one thing that, vainly, kept me going, clearly started to thin drastically. It started with my eyebrows. Then I could see my scalp more and more. Now it's to the point where I don't want to brush it because it just falls out on its own, why brush it out even more? So, I'm stalled at 224 lbs, my once beautiful long hair looks like it is hanging on by a thread and I am self weaning myself off of this awful medicine.

The withdrawals have been intense. Anxiety, depression, stomach aches, even more confussion... I only took this medicine for a month!!! Like, how!? I have weaned properly with the advice of my Dr. I have an appointment on Monday, but I want to tell her how angry I am. She laughed at me when I told her about the hair loss and basically made it seem like I wasn't giving the pill a chance. She also said hair loss isn't a side effect of Topamax, but I have read differently. I want to trust MY DOCTOR, but she has been so rude (so has her staff) and I'm just lost at this point. Who do I go to? Another Dr? Do I go to a weightloss clinic? What about my hair? Will it grow back? Is it permanent? I honestly have never been more depressed in my entire life.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been on Topamax for almost a year now, started experiencing hair loss after about 5 months of taking it.. it's just getting worse & worse. I have thyroid disease, migraines, & mood disorder.. Struggled to lose weight with diet & LOTS of exercise. I am almost to my goal weight now, migraines gone, & moods stabilized.. but I'm losing more & more hair by the day.. I dread showers & brushing what is left of my hair, but terrified to put weight back on.. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm just being honest.. If I discontinue this medication, & keep eating healthy & exercising.. will I gain all that weight back ? PLZ NO negative comments

• Posted

I was on 25 mg Topamax for only 17 days, I am now weaned off 10 days my hair has fallen out to the point of 50% hair loss. will it ever return?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.