Getting ready for hip replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm getting ready for hip replacement and am totally petrified. The surgeon is only 42 . I've got a book of exercises and have ordered a few pillows but it seems like some articles say you can never bend or twist again and other articles say you should be able to do most things after 6 months without dislocating your hip. I live alone and am worried. I love to garden. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Sandy

As others have said if it needs doing just get on with it and get back to life again. If you leave it life will only get worse for you and making a decent recovery less likely when you are forced to have the surgery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Oh Sandy

I was petrified too and cried all the way to theatre! I am now 7 months post op and life is so much better. You are lucky to have a young surgeon he will know all the latest techniques. When are you going in? Make sure you have done everything that needs doing at home as it is tricky afterwards i.e. Washing ironing gardening etc. Buy a grabber (helping hand) as you won't be able to pick things off the floor. Buy food stocks soup dinners treats and make sure they are stored at grabbing level! A table next to where you are going to sit will be helpful to put all your meds on drinks remote and sweeties! Loose clothing is a must. I assume you have your toilet raiser ready which you need. The first two weeks are tough but as long as you keep up with regular meds and do your exercises no matter how rough you feel each week get better. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it's pain free so you have lots to look forward to.

We are all here to support you and I am sure others will give you some good tips there are so many

Best wishes julie

• Posted

Hi Sandy here in Australia is restrictions only 6 weeks than you can slowly go back to normal. I had hydro therapy after hip replecement and i was told by physio only 6 weeks restrictions. I did not know this and I try follow 90 degrees rule for 9 weeks and i was told I dont have to just have to be careful and slowly go back to normal. Im nearly 10 months after left hip replecement but my rigth one need to be done as well just waiting

for a day when will be done. I live alone to . You will be fine.

Good luck ,hug Madla💗

• Posted

Thank you and so glad I found this forum. You guys are all wonderful!
  • Posted

Hi Sandy Let me add my "2 words" to all the others. I am 75 and 8 weeks post op posterior. I am nearly pain free, the pains I have are from the muscles which are trying very hard to heal. I too was scared very very scared before the surgery, but what helped me a lot was all the research I did. I got the house prepared for the surgery, not just me! I got the toilet raisers, the shower bench, the grabber etc, the best of all was the hospital bed my daughter insisted in renting. I had a young woman come in for 1-2 hours every day to do the things for me that I could not do (again at my daughters insistance) because I too live alone. I will not tell you not to worry, that would be stupid, but I will asure you that you will feel so so so much better after the surgery that you will look back at your worries and smile. So good luck Sandy you will be just fine. 

PS: let the weeds grow, you will get to them in 6 months, then it will be winter, they will die and next year you will yank them all out. 

Karin

• Posted

Hi Karin than you so much. I too like to be prepared and have high toilet bars in walk in shower wedge pillow with straps, knee pillow. Etc I opted not to have shower bench since I prefer to stand. I kind of think my pain will be less than it is now in 8 weeks too! But I read about blood clots, infections etc and I'm just trying not to worry. My surgery is in September because I need time to prepare mentally and house wise. Ha ok, I don't want my gardens to die in the harsh August heat of oklahoma either. And yes I can always yank the weeds out after! Love that! 

• Posted

I did not think I needed the shower bench either "I will stand" but let me tell you to this day I am very happy I got the bench, I would not have been able to stand and still to this day (8 weeks) I would not like to stand, our balance is not what it was before. Take care and be careful not to fall. It will be over soon. Funny thing, before I go, when you are waiting for the surgery it seems like such a far way off, but now when I look back it has passed very fast.

• Posted

Dear Kaura

Due to an accident I suffered on the way home from the surgery I was told not to weight bear on the operated leg so it was crutches for five weeks.

I tried to put a stool in the shower but failed as there was insufficient space so I had to get in the shower cubicle with my crutches then stand on the good leg and put the crutches outside the cubicle then shower etc whilst standing on the one leg.

How I longed to be able to put my other leg down to support me! Getting out of the shower and drying myself was a bit of an epic. I'm 75 but have good balance thank goodness otherwise I think I would have had a big problem!

All seems in the distant last but it is just over five weeks.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Dear Richard

I feel for you, I really don't think I would have been able to stand in the shower/tub, for me that bench was a godsend, 2/3 goes in the tub the rest sticks out so one can sit down and then swing the legs into the tub. It is still in the tub and is not going anywhere anytime soon, I enjoy sitting down and enjoying my shower without being afraid of falling.

Hope you are doing well now. I am getting better every day.

Karin

• Posted

Richard

Non weight bearing us tough. My shower is also very small but partial weight bearing I like it as you can't really fall over al all.

Mike

• Posted

Dear Kaura

With my shower enclosure there was unfortunately not enough room to squeeze the small seat I was supplied with to use in the bathroom into the shower. Also it did not give me anough space to fit in there and most important to shut the doors. BTW I am very slim weighing just eleven stones!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Mike

I was also concerned that I could slip over getting in and out if the shower cubicle. I always took my mobile into the bathroom in case I had an accident but never needed to use it!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Sandy, it's hard not to worry, but you do sound organised. I love my garden too, and I was trimming stuff and mowing the lawn after a few weeks, whilst still using 1 crutch. You can stick your leg out behind you and bend a bit whilst not breaking the 90° rule. Be very careful not to twist.

By the way, my surgeon was in his 40s, and he was brilliant.(and not bad looking!) Nice steady hand, and plenty of experience is what you need. All the best, Judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.