Getting ready for Myomectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I am trying to get everything ready before my surgery (myomectomy/ C section?) and was wondering if you could give me some tips as to what underwear, itch creams, etc I could buy. I was looking at amazon at these Post Op Panty Compression Hysterectomy and Myomectomy Recovery Panty But in reality I'm lost. Its my first surgery ever and would appreciate any feedback. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my open myomectomy five weeks ago. I bought one size larger “granny panties” or full coverage. However, I was able to take several pairs of the gauzy boy undies they gave me at the hospital.  They were the best. I finally got back in my old underwear about 10 days ago. I didn’t find the need for itch cream, but did (and still am) use a bunch of Tylenol and aleve.  I would make sure to have a stool softener and laxative as well as an anti-gas medication.  I used gas-x. I was pumped so full of air/gas, that the pain was awful and I needed help to get it out. In fact, I didn’t pass gas for four days and the first bowel movement is tough. Make sure you have enough pillows to prop you up when you get home from the hospital.  I was in the hospital for two nights. You will want very loose clothes and nothing that grips or lands on your stomach.  I am still having discomfort and can’t wear a lot of my clothes yet. A heating pad is helpful too. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

A bit off topic but is your lower abdomen a bit swollen/tender (protruberant) at around 5 weeks post op?  Im 3 weeks post op and my lower abd is hard and protruding, more than it is pre-op, and seems to be growing more each day.
    • Posted

THank you so much for you feedback! Hope you feel better soon! 
    • Posted

It got very hard after the surgery for a couple weeks. It is now much looser feels like I lost some muscle control. It is still sore and sometimes feels like it burns. I also tend to have numbness. I just started sleeping without some kind of support under the stomach and even ended up on my stomach at some point last night. 
    • Posted

Did the prescribe any pain medication?? Did they just give you ibprophen or did they give you someting stronger in the hospiatl?? I'm reall terrified about the pain😔😢😭😭😭

• Posted

They gave me iv pain meds for two days and Tylenol. They sent me home with two pain meds and told me to start using Aleve and Tylenol. I still use those but much much less. 
  • Posted

Me too mines is next Tuesday. They are going to try the laparoscopic or laparoctomy i for got the name. But if they cant get it with that they are going to do the myomectomy a bikini line cut😢😭😭. I prey they don't have to. But good luck hope your everything goes ok🙄🙏🏾

• Posted

If you'll have laparoscopic surgery, your recovery will be faster than bikini cut myomectomy. Myomectomy is one of the major surgery so for some people its take a long to recover from the surgery. Wish you all the best and dont be nervous you'll be alright. 

• Posted

Good luck and I hope you don’t end up with the open surgery, but if you do, take your time with the recovery. 
    • Posted

Good luck Pam! I bought the post op undies for after surgery and some full coverage panties, also some shaping panties. We shall see...
    • Posted

Thanks good luck to you too🙄! That's a great idea🤔. Think i'll ask for extra boy shorts they give you at the hospital those are very comfy. But i will look up post op undies. When's your surgery scheduled?

• Posted

Mine is in two weeks. I've never had any kind of surgery, never been to the hospital for anything either. Married no kids. We wanted to have kids and this surgery is my only hope. I went to several doctors and they all wanted to do a histerectomy or they played it down like nothing major and it's so common kind of attitude. We eventually found a doctor that's going to do everything possible and provided us with hope. I'm so tired of worrying, right now I'm just walking with faith and God, that's all I can do. 

• Posted

Me either 😞. Well i did go when i had a blood cloth but it wasn't major surgery i was even awake. After talking to the anesthesiologist I'm more nervous😩😳😧. But she was very nice and listend and answer all the my questions and worries🙄😖. I was told i can leave that same day🤗🤗 I hate hospitals well if everything is okay🙏🏾. Just Google what questions to ask your doctor and anesthesiologist

. I'm so ready for this surgery but terrified at the sametime. That's good you got other opinions. I also saw two gynologist who also suggested hysterectomy. Till i asked to speak to a doctor that specializes in removing fibroids. Me too all you can do is have faith and pray. Feel like these fibroids know I'm going to get rid of them so they have gotten worst like they are twisting , my stomach gets hard i can actually feel it. These pills aren't working anymore so this surgery would be a blessing. Just be optimistic🙄🙏🏾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.