Getting up for a wee

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi just a question about my problem, i am 56 my doctor says it prostate disease getting older and can give me a pill to stop me getting up in the night which is great, but not done any tests.

So after a few months and asking doctors what it is i have decided toa sk here.

I work until late about 2am most days and have my last cup of tea about 10pm and carry a bottle of water after that which i just have sips from from until i go to sleep about 2.30am by this time i have been for a wee a few times and have my last one before i try to sleep, but then i am up again about 3 or 4 times during the night going again, is this normal at my ages because i have only had this a few months now ?

I have got the to doctor calling in the morning going to ask for a PSA TEST

I did have a ct scan last year august looking for cancer so i would think that would of picked something up if i had anything, but that was 8 months ago.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's sensible to restrict fluid intake from at least 4 hours before your regular sleep time. Your age is just a little early to start fussing about PSA readings, and in general terms try to remember that prostate cancer is usually so slow growing that a policy called 'watchful waiting' is followed. An exception might be made if there is a history of prostate cancer in your close family.

• Posted

so if i go to sleep at 2am don't have any drinks at all after 9/10pm ?

• Posted

Try it. Could take a while to take effect mind. Seeing your close family record, you may be sensible to be aware, and do your research, but for heavens sake, dont get obsessive about it. If any doctor starts to talk about prostate biopsy, resist as strongly as you can.
    • Posted

Thanks yes i wont let them just do what they want i never do lol

Last year i had the ct scan because of all the weight i lost, did tell them it's from acid reflux and can't eat much. But sent me for a ct scan to make sure and all they found was emphysema changes whcich was the last thing i wanted, now stopped smoking to slow it down or hopefully anyway.

• Posted

There's a whole bunch of tests they can do to determine prostate size, bladder size, if you have retention, urodynamics, etc. PSA can be inaccurate if you have a infection, digital exam, sex 48 hours prior to blood work. Do some online research into the tests and such. So you don't go in uninformed.

• Posted

I do have problem with my testicles i can't touch them so tender but they did scan said nothing is wrong. could that be infection and cause this ?

• Posted

Just been doctors got enlarged Prostate having PSA blood test monday and results tuesday
  • Posted

It's probably time for a full work up, including bladder dynamics testing and a scope. You could have bph, you could have bladder issues, you could have both or something else. BPH usually creeps up over a long period of time, but there are exceptions. Don't take any meds or do anything else until you have a real diagnosis, which isn't possible until they've done the kind of workup I outlined.

Also - with your family history, I'd get a PSA test every year and don't let that reflux go. Reflux can lead to esophogeal cancer and with your family history you should treat it aggressively and keep a close eye on it.

• Posted

Don't know what BPH is sorry, the reflux i take 2 tablets and stopping smoking helped loads.

I was at hospital last year for tests ct scan barium swallow and others the surgeon said he does not think i need an operation to fix my acid because it's not that bad ? i have hiatus hernia and weak muscle that cause the acid, the NHS is in a mess so don't get much help at all and not sure i really want to go back and to again when they don't ever fix anything.

• Posted

BPH is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, or in simpler terms, an enlarged prostate. Its the most common cause of the issues you described, but usually has a long build up - you notice little problems and it just gets worse over time.

As for the reflux  - you probably don't need surgery, but i would be aggressive with non surgical approaches as you have a pronounced family history of cancer and its known to be a cause of it.

• Posted

i have high risk of cancer because i have emphysema also sad don't have much luck to be honest.

What do you mean be aggressive with it ? it's only the last few weeks that i have started eating more foods that i have not had for a long time because it's got much better since i stopped smoking.

• Posted

Take meds for it and have it monitored. Don't just "learn to live with it".

• Posted

I have been dealing with acid reflux or gerd for 40 years( since I was about 13). Over the counter antacid used to work fine. It stopped working about 8 years ago or so. Now prescription meds are barely helping. Insurance decided I only need 1 a day instead of 2. Now I am having issues. Go to get my stomach scoped on the 30th. Hiatal hernia confirmed 2 or 3 years ago.
    • Posted

I was taking Omeprazole. 2 a day. Insurance decided I only need 1. Doc switched to zantec, it didn't do anything. Taking pantoprazole now. It's like taking 1 Omeprazole. Doesn't last.

• Posted

Yes i have Hiatal hernia and weak muscle but stopping smoking as helped me.
    • Posted

I never smoked or drank. Just showed up one night and never left. Lol. Getting symptoms of a ulcer
    • Posted

It's not nice to have acid reflux, but i have loads fo health problems and none are nice lol

• Posted

You might want to see an ENT who will probably give you a diagnosis of 

laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) which is often present along with regular reflux/GERD. You might find that diagnosis code (For LPR) will allow double dosing of PPI's. 

I also had a bad case of GERD (and LPR) for years which has significantly settled down. I found double PPI's helpful back then as well as Carafate (sucralfate). A lot of the younger docs may not prescribe Carafate but I found it very helpful. Liquid better than pill form, but your insurance may only pay for the pills. As to the PPI's, have to experiment as not all work the same. Zegerid is one of the most potent and fast acting but be careful if you have high blood pressure as they contain sodium.

Today, I can eat pretty much anything without medication as long as I don't go overboard with trigger foods. Some days I take a single OTC Prilosec about 30-60 minutes before breakfast, some days not. At night time occasionally take OTC Pepsid Complete. If I do something stupid -- like eat pizza, have an alcohol drink, a cup of coffee and some chocolate, at the same time (I've done worse smile )-- then I'll prophalactively swig down some pepto bismol.

Jim

• Posted

Only 1 a day doesn't sound enough. When I was at my worst, I was prescribed double dose Nexium (or Zegerid) twice a day. (That would be FOUR TIMES what you're taking plus I took a zantac or similar at night). Insurance paid for it. As mentioned in another post, I had a diagnosis of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) which allowed the insurance to pay for the higher dosage. See an ENT, they often treat reflux more agressively than Gastros. 

Jim

• Posted

Surgery should be a last resort for relfux, as it can sometimes make the condition much worse. Experimenting with different PPI's and H-2 Blockers should be enough. That, and limiting or avoiding trigger foods. As I mentioned in another post, you might also want to try Carafate (Sucrafate). It's a different approach to reflux/gerd.

Jim

• Posted

Been to one 3 times . Seen a gastroenterologist little over a month ago. Reviewed cat scan which confirmed hiatal hernia. Go for gastroscopy on the 30th to see why I am making so much acid, damage from it, see what's bleeding, etc. I already take 80 mg of Omeprazole which is alot. 40 is normal. Lol. Ingested Clorox when I was 3 or 4th years old. Might have damage from that. Lol

• Posted

Usual dose for Omeprazole is 2 - 20 mg a day. Insurance having a fit about 2- 40 mg a day so they will try to get them to push it threw. If they still won't he will do 1 Omeprazole(proton pump inhibiter) 1 of something else that's not a ppi.

• Posted

I was doing fine with Maalox. Then some brainiac decided it needed to be flavored.
    • Posted

Maalox. How old school smile  I remember chugging Mylanta in the old days. Now, one OTC Prilosec before breakfast does the trick.

Jim

• Posted

Just been doctors got enlarged Prostate having PSA blood test monday and results tuesday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.