Getting up for a wee

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi just a question about my problem, i am 56 my doctor says it prostate disease getting older and can give me a pill to stop me getting up in the night which is great, but not done any tests.

So after a few months and asking doctors what it is i have decided toa sk here.

I work until late about 2am most days and have my last cup of tea about 10pm and carry a bottle of water after that which i just have sips from from until i go to sleep about 2.30am by this time i have been for a wee a few times and have my last one before i try to sleep, but then i am up again about 3 or 4 times during the night going again, is this normal at my ages because i have only had this a few months now ?

I have got the to doctor calling in the morning going to ask for a PSA TEST

I did have a ct scan last year august looking for cancer so i would think that would of picked something up if i had anything, but that was 8 months ago.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The CT scan should show the size and configuration of your prostate - which should give the urologist a good idea about whether BPH might be causing your problems.
    • Posted

Not sure they checked but i would of thought they would because they looked at everything even told me about my bowel problem and glall bladder full of stones and damage to lungs.
  • Posted

It's OK to get a PSA test although some controversy on that, but what you describe is not suggestive of cancer, but more suggestive of garden variety bph/luts.

First, if you haven't seen one already, given your age and symptons it's time to see a urologist, not just a GP. 

He will want to run a few simple tests including a bladder scan. If he doesn't run a bladder scan to check your post void residual (PVR) then ask him to. 

BTW what is the name of the pill they suggested you try? Did you try it?

You might also want to google "IPSS Score" and take the five minute test and report back. It helps put your symptons in context. 

Jim

• Posted

Never took the tablet so not sure what the name is, but i am thinking of getting them if it stops all this getting up at night.
    • Posted

the pill is probably an alpha blocker called Flowmax, google it.  It might give you retrograde ejaculation, google that too (no big deal). 

?As to the reflux : if you just get a pain like a winded feeling below the sternum that is dyspepsia, if you get burning higher up it is GORD.  The latter may gradually in rare causes cause low-throat cancer.  Rarely, dyspepsia can be stomach cancer.  A friend Professor David Mackay had dyspepsia, he's dead now but his cancer blog is still on line.  Age 46 they gave him omeprazole, as below age 55 NICE guidelines do not let the GP prescribe endoscopy (unpleasant) unless you have advanced symptoms of possible incurable stomach cancer like blood in vomit or dark blood in stools and anaemia.  He didn't have that so omeprazole it was.  Omeprazole for most people is brilliant, I had dyspepsia ?last October quite bad, my weight plummeted from 80kg to 72 kg in a month and I suddenly felt full far too soon.  As David died of stomach cancer in April last year I was a bit worried as his cancer had started the same.  In most cases it is a stomach ulcer or gastritis or unexplained dyspepsia for no cause (latter = 60%), but omeprazole does wonders for most.  The hiatus hernia thing is more common for people with higher body weight who are over 60 and omeprazole still helps as HH leads to GORD and the omeprazole reduces stomach acid hence reduces GORD symptoms.  Omeprazole also helps gastritis cure and helps ulcers get better.  Rarely Omeprazole ?will if you do have stomach cancer, suppress the growth of it inside the stomach but it still grows in the lining and out into body cavity, so in those rare cases O. can merely suppress or delay the time when Ca Stomach causes the tarry stools etc, and make a cure less likely.  My doctor only prescribed O. but I insisted also on a test for a stomach virus that 15% of us have, H Pylori, that makes Ca Stomach more likely, you have to STOP taking O. for 14 days before the stool test and only take ranitidine, last 24 hours take nothing, so the best thing is for GP to get the test done before you take your first O.  Anyway that was clear, I found I could get by without anything from mid January and weight is stable (at the new slimline weight), no symptoms, can eat plenty now, so have stopped worrying about Ca Stomach, my friend who died age 49 of Ca Stomach was just ultra-unlucky.  Albeit my grandad died of Ca Pancreas age 48, and his son = my dad's brother (=my uncle) died of skin cancer age 38 so we are paranoid in my family about cancer in the men.  One thing is certain, you did yourself a huge favour giving up smoking, and if you do have a hiatus hernia, if you can lose weight if you have any weight to speak of, that is always said to help.  If can't exercise do it with fish/chicken and veg diet

• Posted

Sorry about your friend.

Do you mean dysphagia? That is a swallowing disorder sometimes associated with GERD. If you speak to a gastro they may diagnose symptons in the throat area as GERD but an ENT will diagnose it as LPR.

Long story there but moving on...it really doesn't matter because whatever you call it the refluxed material can lead to Barrett's esophagus which can lead to throat cancer but only in a very small per cent of cases. That said, anyone with persistent LPR should probably have an endoscopy at some point to rule out Barrett's. And the thing with LPR, it doesn't have to be a burning sensation as with other forms of GERD. The symptons can be more subtle such as a clogged ear canal or even a bitter taste in your mouth. 

LPR should be treated more agressively than GERD because the mucous membranes in the upper region are more sensitive and therefore more prone to damage. I took double Nexium (or Zegerid) twice a day at one point which is 4x what some gastro's prescribe for regular GERD. A lot better now so just on one OTC Prilosec per day and only when I feel I need it. 

Jim

• Posted

i went from 85kgs to 71kgs my acid reflux effects my throat and almost make me panic, but the last few weeks i have started to eat things that i could not eat before and i think it down to these mints i am eating a pack a day and my acid problem seems to be loads better now ?

I have hernia and weak muscle plus lung damage bones worn out and on and on growing old is a trap for some of us i think.

• Posted

I did mean dyspepsia. Just an inch below sternum when I had it, winded feeling, not higher up. Seemed like it might not be GORD or as they call it in America, GERD, to my amateur mind. It can be gastritis or stomach ulcer or 60% of time they cannot tell and they call this functional dyspepsia just to cover their embarrassment at not being able to diagnose it. I am sorry about what you have and hope that it clears up or manages well.
    • Posted

Just been doctors got enlarged Prostate having PSA blood test monday and results tuesday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.