Getting upset

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi as well as depression I have copd and have been trying to get some advice on my inhalers and need to see the copd nurse,   but the NHS is making it very difficult.. Why don't they understand that things are 10 times worse for depressives and treat us less officially?  I have been trying to negotiate the system and I give up now as it's getting me more and more distressed and thinking what's the point of it all?   I might as well self treat and hope I get it right.  If I don't who cares?   Certainly not me... I might as well give up now....

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My darling woman, you do such good work on this forum, please don't leave.

You offer such support and help always, and as far as I'm concerned you're overdue the support given back to you.

I can't advise on your physical health problems, but I sympathise with the struggle it is to get the help you need.

Most importantly, keep being you, because you're wonderful.

Ignore the idiotic/ nonsensical responses and KNOW you are great and you are LOVED.

Thinking of you always xxxxx

• Posted

Bless you Audery for coming in and being so supportive and kind.   I am feeling quite a lot better today thanks to you and the others.  

I don't feel wonderful or great but just an inadequate sad sack most of the time.  On my gravestone will be the epitaph - 'She tried'.  I guess that's all anyone can do isn't it?   

I hope you are ok sweetheart.  Love  Bev xx

• Posted

Hi ♥

I would add to your epitaph

She tried, she cared, she helped, she made a significant difference to the world, she saved lives, he compassion and perseverance cannot be measured as it was infinite!

Lastly she was loved by many!

But that's a longggg way away yet !!!!! ♥♥

• Posted

Ha ha don't make me laugh my friend.  Thats the second time you have made me crack up in a couple of days smile  

I am not Mother Theresa you know...and wouldn't want to be smile   Thank you for the wonderful epitaphs,  but I think they are a lot further away than my ending (probably about 10,000 years) ha ha.  

Can't stop giggling again - hey how about Saint Bev?  smile smile   Love Bev xx

• Posted

Well on mine would be pretty much the same!

I'm 26 and I have half a degree, a bf who I bed bath and a head full of rambling depression.

Maybe mine would read "she kinda tried...ish".

But you my lovely, you've got so much to put up with, and I know you're a fighter. That's something to be so proud of!

It's a lot easier just sitting back and giving in, but you're still here, still fighting on.

Keep going my lovely, I know I'd sorely miss you and I only know you online.

Love you and thinking of you,

Xxxxx

Ps if you ever have "she tried" written on your headstone I will hunt it down and scratch it out and replace it with poetic words of your courage, empowerment and empathy for others, and your commitment to helping people. That's a promise! xxxxx

• Posted

Oh dear Audrey!   I will probably do a David Bowie then... 

I have a lot less to put up with than you my friend.   Mind you I do have a whole degree smile  but I don't have a sick bf I have to look after and can't imagine the stess and tirednes you must be feeling.   I think you are greatly to be admired for doing this and being so patient with him.   That's much better than she tried - that is she does!   And you do.  So none of this she tried to  kind...ish please or I am going to have to come round and give you a proper talking to.    Ok?  Or send the heavy mob round smile 

Love you too sweetheart.  Keep on trucking  Bev xxx

• Posted

Haha! Think I will prob do a David Bowie too.

Though I've had to make a written promise to my bf that if he goes before me, I strap his ashes to a firework and set it off on the beach near us into the sea.

Might be a difficult one to get round the authorities on but I shall try haha.

Keep on being the brilliant you.

xxxxx

• Posted

Don't leave this site because of a negative response. Like others have said there are so many of us here who understand and 1 person's negativity shouldn't put you off talking to those that are genuine.

I totally understand your frustration and how the added weight of depression can make life seem so hard when dealing with the NHS. I have posted on here some negative comments towards the system in the past that I feel have contributed to me depression including a 2 year wait for surgery I knew I might need years ago. But I have also seen a few working inside the system over the past few weeks who have been very understanding with my depression and have gone above and beyond to help me and my husband over the past week so I believe there are some who care.

I know it is hard but keep trying to get the help you need x

• Posted

Thanks very much ssk1.  I know you understand as do most of us with depression.  

Don't get me wrong I am very grateful to the NHS but I can get very upset trying to use the system when I need to.  It's so impersonal and officious these days.  .  I am very lucky in that most of the time I don't need it.   I have worked all my life and paid full taxes etc.  and I have no problem with the maxim of funding each to their ability to go to those who need it.   It just seems on the odd occasion I do need it it's not there for me,  or it's made very difficult to access. 

I too have met some lovely people who work in it and I think they do a wonderful job under very difficult circumstances. 

Thanks again.  I hope you are ok love?    Bev xx  

• Posted

Glad to read that you are at least feeling a bit better. I feel like I'm just functioning and trying to put a smile on my face. I've been told I'm very good at putting a mask on so to speak and leading everyone to believe I'm ok. Luckily for me my GP can see through it now and last week realised on the phone that I was 'off'. The support on here is definatley a big help. Sara x

• Posted

Oh tell me about it Sara.  I am one of those with a very good public face (the result of long practise) and necessity.   I am retired now at 62 thank goodness so I don't have to do it for work now. 

I was fine working when I had some autonomy so I could have a quiet day if I needed it but my last job was totally different to that and was target driven and I was micro managed.   I couldn't hold that face occasionally then and would end up visibly very stressed and anxious.  

It's awful when you are depressed to be forced out of your head and then my mask would slip.   The more I fumbled the more I was 'got at' which just made the whole thing worse.  It's a vicious circle.  Bev xx

• Posted

Update for those who are interested:

I managed to get a doctors appointment (I needed strong painkillers than I can buy over the counter for my bad back).  I did ask her about my inhalers but she said it would take too much time which doctors haven't got now.  She said all those matters are dealt with by the respiratory nurse at the surgery. 

I rang the nurse and got a callback.  We discussed it all over the phone and she was very helpful and answered all my questions.  The best news is my lung function hasn't deteriorated at all!  

Many thanks for all of you who came in and supported me and cared.  Love Bev xxx

• Posted

That's great news Bev, so pleased you got a positive response!

I'm very happy for you! xxxxx

• Posted

Awww Bev

that's great news ♥ to hear! on a separate note as im nosey.......do you mind me asking what painkillers you get for your back problem? As well as being nosey I take co codamol when I get any extreme pain anywhere, but apparently it's not a good thing to take with any regularity. Really pleased with you news ♥♥♥

• Posted

So glad to hear your lung function hasn't deteriorated and that you finally got the help you wanted biggrin
    • Posted

Hello Bev, I am glad you have managed to get to see the doctors, also that you spoke to the nurse about your inhalors. Good news that your lung functionas not deteriorated. Keep your chin up, we are all here for you.  

Best wishes.

Love Elizabeth xx 

• Posted

Thank you Audrey.  It is a big relief I must say as you always dread the worst.   My lung function is in the mid 70's which is good.   It's not out of 100% though but out of the average for my age,  weight,  height etc.  But still good.  Bev xx
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply my friend.   I have been given co-codamol at 15mg which is 8mg stronger than you can get without prescription,  at least in the UK.   I haven't actually got them yet and must go to the chemists to pick them up.   The doctor did say be careful about stomach problems with them....

What dose do you take and do you have to get them on prescription?   I know you are in the US.  Bev xx

• Posted

Thanks Sara.   The nurse was lovely and very helpful.   One of my inhalers has been changed to a much cheaper one coz the patent has run out.  The nurse started explaining how this worked and I waited until she took a breath and said 'Yes I understand about generic meds'.  smile   Bev xx

• Posted

Thanks Elizbeth.   I am very relieved coz the last thing I want is it slipping!  

You all being here for me has made me feel a lot better.  It's great to have friends you can count on.  Bless you all.   Bev xxx

• Posted

Hi Bev

I'm in the UK too♥ I take co codamol too, only occasionally when paracetamol won't shift a pain. Great for tooth pain!

Woke up to sun shining, makes me feel well on my way to recovery!I hope it shines on you all day and everday! ♥♥♥

• Posted

Glad to hear you have managed to get the information and help that you needed Bev! 

Keep going and keep us all updated, I'm glad things are more steady now, here's hoping it stays that way! smile xxx

• Posted

Thanks fee you are very kind my friend.  bev xx
    • Posted

Oops must have got you confused with someone else - sorry Lorraine. 

Oh I hope so thans.  I hate the rain - it makes me feel rubbish,  horrible  and ghastly! smile  

Glad to see you are recovering a lot.   Luvs ya  Bev xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.