Ginger works for me.

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have been drinking a smoothie every day not only for pmr but also for my bones. I add everything I can think of plus ginger, and my reduction has been going very well. I am now down to 2mg of pred in a year. The last 2 days I was out of ginger and felt tired and achey. This morning I raced to the store and got some more. I'll never run out again, the powdered stuff doesn't work for me.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anniecurd, could you list the foods you use in your smoothie please. I'm always looking for new ways to get more vegetables and fruits in my diet. 

I have crystallized ginger quite often after dinner. Have you tried that?

• Posted

I love crystallized ginger, I made some for Christmas.

For my smoothie I take 

one half cup of fruit juice, coconut or other nut milk

a handful of kale (for bones)

a stalk of celery

a banana

an apple, pear or other piece of fruit

some pineapple (for inflammation)

a chunk of ginger

a tspn of turmeric

a couple twists of pepper

a tspn of coconut oil

sprigs of different herbs from the garden

whatever weeds I have in the yard (dandelion, purslane, chickweed, etc),  there are a lot of weeds that are very nutritious, just make sure they're not sprayed. I throw it all in the blender and drink the whole thing around 3pm when I need a pick-me-up. I actually double it because my daughter wants one every day too, which is good because she's always on the go.

• Posted

Just made it. Not bad. Did not have any pineapple. Will put that in next time. Thx 
    • Posted

You're welcome! Throw in anything you have. I sometimes put in beets or carrots, anything you have growing in the garden is good. No pesticides.

• Posted

Thank you 😍 You guys have been the best thing that has happened to me in along time!!!!!
  • Posted

Any one take fish oil with dha?  Tumerac capsules?  If I am taking fresh tumerac everyday should I also take the capsules. Not sure about this stuff. Thanks for your knowledge.
    • Posted

I don't take fish oil. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't think you could overdose on turmeric. It's like ginger. I think the fresh would be better.

• Posted

There is no evidence that fish oil helps and it can pose a problem with too much vit A if you overdo it. As for turmeric, there are drugs you should be careful about adding turmeric too, particularly in capsule form:

"Blood-thinning medications: Tumeric may make the effects of these drugs stronger, raising the risk of bleeding. Blood-thinners include warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), and aspirin, among others.

Drugs that reduce stomach acid: Turmeric may interfere with the action of these drugs, increasing the production of stomach acid:

Cimetidine (Tagamet)

Famotidine (Pepcid)

Ranitidine (Zantac)

Esomeprazole (Nexium)

Omeprazole

Lansoprazole (Prevacid)

Drugs for diabetes (that lower blood sugar): Turmeric may make the effects of these drugs stronger, increasing the risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)."

I know somewhere there has been a discussion with a warning about not using turmeric capsules but I have no idea where it is or what exactly it was now. There is this thread under RA though:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/turmeric-and-prednisone--516804

MrsO uses turmeric in all her cooking and swears by it - as well as garlic and oily fish. She notices when she doesn't use as much of any of them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.