Giving up again.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys I have stopped drinking again. Last drink of alcohol I had was Tuesday night. Already cannot believe how better I feel. I was always fatigued the day after drinking. Already I am more energised and alert. Alcohol is a terrible drug and the hold it can have on you.

I really hope I can get past day 3 as last month I did not manage to. The biggest impact is that stopping drinking has reduced my depression and severe anxiety which was likely brought to my on by alcohol? The day after drinking I suffered panic attacks and felt low all the time. Funny how today I feel much better.

Anyway I hope you guys are hopefully defeating alcohol, it really is a terrible addiction that I am determined to brush off.

4 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good for you Gareth! And you seem to have a very good grasp on why you want to which always helps! Let us know how you get on! Have you tried doing home detox programmes before? I tried Steps Counselling's Home Detox and found it really helpful to have constant support from the comfort of my home! 

• Posted

I've not tried any home detox programmes, on Tuesday night it will be 3 weeks since I gave up. I'm still having vivid dreams and waking up 2 or 3 times in the night I guess that's still the withdrawal, thankfully I can get back to sleep quickly most of the time. The night sweats have stopped though which bugged me for a week after giving up.

• Posted

We are here with you. We are your support team in your struggle. 
  • Posted

Hi guys it's over 3 weeks since I gave up drinking but unfortunately I have fell out with my mum again, I moved back in with her a few months ago but we just don't get a long, she calls me paranoid (even though she knows I have suffered with mental health issues) and tonight she accused me of taking drugs, I know she loves me but at the same time she can cut right through you with out of the blue accusations which makes me sad to say the least especially when I've never been on any drugs in my life and I love her. Maybe it's time to move out and find people in life who really appreciate me?

• Posted

Hi Gareth , so well done for stopping drinking for 3 weeks. A massive achievement ! To me it sounds like you would be better off moving out from your mum's place .Your mum has probably seen a lot of your drinking and other issues and under a lot of strain too .As you say she loves you but it also sounds like she has difficulty dealing with it all as many parents would.

It would probably be much better for both of you if you found somewhere else to live ,you could focus on your recovery without your mum's watchful eye and also build up a much better relationship with her.She is probably worried sick.I speak as a mother who has a son who at one time drank very heavily and kept returning home.It never worked for long .He eventually reduced his drinking , got his own place and now we have a great relationship.

• Posted

Hi Nat, What a brilliant, well thought and sincere reply. You speak from experience 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.