Glad I found this site

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 45 and pretty sure I've been going through per I since I turned 40, I tried talking to other woman about how I was feeling but since none seemed to be going through the same things it just made me feel bad. I suffer from anxiety and some depression and was put on prozac the last 2 months, it's only helping a bit. Me doctor put me off work for a few months as I was missing work a lot and was scared I was going to get fired (I never used to miss work at all). I've been a single mom for many years, my children are in their late teens now, this is suppose to be my time of freedom and more fun and I don't really want to leave the house. We can't help each other directly but it's nice to just know we are not alone in the way we feel...and we are not crazy.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Samantha,

I am 45 too and found out in March this year that the perimenopause had approached, and this came with full force!

I completely did not understand what had hit me.....Insomnia, anxiety, headaches, white tongue, sore throat, night sweats, joint aches, and the list goes on.....

I found this website which helped me sooooo much on understanding what was and still happening with me. 

I hope your symptoms settle down soon and ask your doctor to do your bloods to see if you are going through the peri. This will put your mind at rest a little knowing what your going through....

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Thank you Samantha for replying.

I didn't have blood tests for hormones but I did have them for everything else and all came back good. My family doctor was changed and I went for months without one so it was a bit confusing for a while and I had to deal with going to the ER whenever I felt bad.

I have lots of symptoms of peri but the only 2 that really bother me are the anxiety and insomnia this can feel disabling at times. This is my period week do both symptoms are through the roof. I've come to terms there is no point in complaining about it and just fight it as woman have been always dealing with this, it woll ho away. This site is nice though as it's nice to read other woman's stories so we don't feel we are the only one.

I hope all of us feel better soon.

Good luck too.

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Yes the anxiety and Insomnia is very scary! I totally understand you.

When i feel my anxiety coming on, it just comes out of the blue and this is what scares me. This also comes with a hot flush too.

I know it sounds silly but i tell myself that i am fine and i am going to be okay.... where ever i am i remove my self and have 10 minutes to get myself together.

Your also not alone :-) my insomnia is settling down now i can fall asleep but still wake in the early hours. Where as before i was not falling a sleep until 3.00am in the morning a waking for 6.30am for work

I read on this site about reducing caffeine this has helped me so much.

Have a good weekend.

• Posted

Hi Samantha, I stopped all caffeine months ago, I don't sleep during my period, I'm on the fourth night of no sleep and can tell I'm fighting not to be cranky, I've been fighting not to cry as I have errands to run. I'll be ok in a few days, it's important to stay positive.

Have a wonderful weekend.

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Hope it all settles down for you soon and you can get some sleep.

Yes we do have to stay positive as being a woman is Tough!

Have a good day

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Thanks, I hope for all of us. I went and got some b6, b12, omega 3 and magnesium and am cutting out all sugars and processed foods, I normally eat very healthy but I have been sneaking some goodies in. I got to get better and get things back in order.

Have a great day

• Posted

Going through the same thing.  Some days are unbearable.  After a month of Zoloft, things are worse.  Returning to Paxil, which I have taken for years, hoping it will be effective at a 40 or 60 mg dose.  The anxiety, ruminating, crying, and fixation on thoughts is debilitating  The only thing that gets me through, at times, is my Ativan.  Getting counseling, doing mindfulness, and trying to be hopeful.  As stated by previous ladies, staying busy with physical work helps.  Although I have to force myself to get started!  Wish I could stay in bed and watch bad TV, with my dog, until this passes.  I hate feeling this way.  So hard.
    • Posted

Hi Amalie,

It is rough, I was just googling sign of bipolar as I feel I'm such a emotional crazy woman but I don't think I am, I'm pretty sure it's peri. I'm trying everything to help, god sometimes I do yoga 3 times a day to calm myself. This is not fair, woman go through so many things periods, child birth, work at work and at home..no this.

Thanks for your words, it really helps knowing it's not just me.

• Posted

I feel horrible, as we "speak".  I work for an elderly attorney (I am in the States)......and I just wish he would retire this summer.  That way, I could sit at home and collect unemployment.......and try to get through this time.  Unfortunately, he doesn't plan to retire until the new year : (  My husband is not very supportive....thinks it is mind over matter.  Cannot begin higher dose of Paxil for 4 days.  Praying it will work.

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel, if you read all of this I had to take time off of work, that is not the normal me. I think it's good I'm not married, I would get too emotionally upset if I wasn't getting supported. I really tried mind over matter, good food, lots of exercise and trying to be constantly positive, I wish men could get it.

I hope you have a better day!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.