Glandular fever/Mono?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm just wandering if it's possible to have glandular fever without having a sore throat? I have been unwell for about 2 months now, it started out as headaches and the feeling that I was getting a cold but after a few days the cold never came out and then I just felt a kind of dizziness ever since but not normal dizziness, more like an unsteady feeling/heavy head. I was basically bed ridden for about 4 days and did feel very unwell. I'm a bit better now but still have the heavy head feeling and mild headaches. My friend told me that she had glandular fever a few years ago and she felt the exact same however she had swollen glands, I haven't had swollen glands that I know I guess it's possible I could of missed them or they weren't as swollen. I know it affects people in different ways but I just want to know if any of you have had similar experiences. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not sure. My symptoms were very obvious with huge swollen glands especially under my arms. They were like tennis balls and every gland in my body swelled too. Severe sore throat, pounding head ache etc. You can get a blood test to check for it. I think they check for EBV
  • Posted

Hey nesbo,

ive had it roughly a year and haven't suffered much with sore throats or glands up... I have had a sore throat but not bad and not at first either.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Before you found out that it was GF did you ever have doubts that it could be that because at first having GF never crossed my mind until now after putting all the symptoms together. 

• Posted

I was diagnosed before I was really ill so I was shocked. Was only a bit tired.
  • Posted

Hi Nesbo,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell. Yes I do think it's possible to have glandular fever without a sore throat, that's not necessarily the main or even a main symptom, seems to affect everyone differently.

However the best idea is to get a blood test with the doctor, that should be able to tell if you have the virus or have been exposed to it recently.

Hoping you are feeling better soon and remember get plenty of rest, and I do believe you will make a full recovery - hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig, I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and yes I'm trying to rest as much as possible. 

• Posted

Hii Nesbo. So crazy , I had the same question like last week lol. But yea I never had the sore throat or flu like symptoms. I just woke up feeling very weird. Then the dizziness and other stuff came. 
    • Posted

I've been googling like crazy trying to find an answer but from what I've found it's definitely possible. Kinda want it to be GF just so I can relax a bit more and focus on getting better. 

• Posted

I understand. I went google crazy too before I found out what was wrong. But make sure you go to the docotrs just to make sure it's the Epstein Barr virus and not anything else. It could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency so a check up is always good. smile 

• Posted

I've managed to get a blood test booked for Monday 😊 When I first went to the doctors with this I was sure it was an iron deficiency but the blood test said all of that was fine. 

• Posted

Hope everything goes well for the blood test Nesbo, you've done the right thing by getting that done and let us know how you get on.

Craig

• Posted

I went Google crazy too. I had a million symptoms months after being diagnosed with mono but my doctor forgot to mention that all that could happen so I thought I was over the virus but kept getting new symptoms daily and it terrified me.. eventually like a year later it all starts to make sense 😣 I wish they told me it can cause all that like the dizzyness and chest pain etc. Would have saved me a ton of anxiety

• Posted

The anxiety is the worst part for me, and yes it does cause many other symptoms that google just doesn't mention. 

• Posted

I've read that older people (+40) usually don't get a sore throat. In my case I'm 29 yo and I had the worst sore throat of my life. But I'm not sure you can get mono without swollen glands even if you're older... My neck lymph nodes got very sore and tender because of the virus. The headaches were extremely painful and the fever was awful. If you're young I think you should get checked for other diseases IMO... 

• Posted

Hey Nesbo,

Just hoping that things can improve soon for you, yes if it was glandular fever at least you would know that was the case, and although it's not the best there is hope in that recovery does come from the virus. Just want to reassure you about that and just trusting in God that you and Christy, Dan, Back to me and everyone on here will fully recover and get back to full health again - God will look after everyone in Jesus' name!

Craig

• Posted

For have long did you have a sore throat? I'm 7 months into this and there is no sight of improvement. It's so annoying. Especially in the morning

• Posted

I'm 26, however I have never had tonsillitis or even really a sore throat I just don't get them even with a normal cold so I guess that could be why I haven't got one. 

• Posted

Hey Catch the Bus,

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time the last 7 months....hang in there I was the same at the 7 months stage, weary and tired and just not sure how and if things would ever improve - but they did and I started to see a big difference after about 10 months I would say. Hoping it will be sooner for you, but you are definitely through the worst and things won't be nearly so bad as in the early stages. There is still plenty of hope today!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you for all the support you are giving on this forum, it helps a lot. How long did it take for you to completely recover from a sore throat?
    • Posted

Hey Catch the Bus, hard to remember exactly, but I know overall I had a made the biggest step forward after about 10 months, and really then started to feel like I could cope with things and live again.

Craig

• Posted

I had a sore throat the first 2 weeks. My throat healed but it got sore again in the 4th-5th week. My throat is no longer sore, but I have swollen glands below my jaw. I guess it kinda comes and goes. It's very unpredictable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.