Gleason Score (4+3=7). Any hope?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

1.5 months ago, my dad had TURP surgery for his prostate; otherwise known as BPH. Following his surgery, the doctor advised that they would contact us to schedule a follow-up apppointment once they got my dad's results back from the lab/the biopsy.

So, a couple of weeks ago we attended the doctor's office only to be told that they found a small tumour in his prostate, and that he had a Gleason score of (4+3=7). They did not want to conduct a PSA test during this visit because his numbers would be through the roof, considering he just had prostate surgery. My dad will be receiving his PSA test results just before Christmas.

Additionally, my dad just had a hemorrhoidectomy last Tuesday and is currently in recovery mode. To be honest, I've wondered if this large hemorrhoids could be a symptom of my dad's prostate cancer. But I have no clue!

My dad is pretty down, considering his recent diagnosis, and is scared of his PSA test results and what he might have to do if the numbers are high. At this point, we don't know the level of aggressiveness with respect to this tumour, or if it's spread, and the doctor advised that there are plenty of men, who, once they reach a certain age, have prostate cancer, and don't even realize they have it! Apparently they pass away without even knowing they had prostate cancer and pass away from something other than their prostate cancer.

The doctor already forewarned us that one treatment option is injections, and my dad has told me that if he needs injection, it will ruin him. I'm concerned about my dad's (and family's) mental state, but I'm trying to prepare myself for whatever happens when we attend the doctor's office mid-December to get his test results.

I'm not sure why I'm posting about this specifically. But I think I'm looking for some words of encouragement and hope, more than anything.

Thank you all in advance! 😃

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

1. You are right when you write that 4+3 is worse than 3+4. But that doesn't mean treatment should start asap;
    2. I am unsure how TURP procedures affect PSA tests, but waiting 6 weeks after a procedure to have a PSA is standard. How the PSA changes over time is critical;
    3. At this time I would not consider invasive treatment, but would consider a 3t MRI.

My history: age 52, Gleason 5+4

• Posted

Thank you for this helpful reply, barney34567.

I'm not sure what a 3t MRI is, but I'm about to look into it.

In terms of your situation, I hope you have found/are finding a solution that works for you and your health.

• Posted

MRIs are imaging by magnets.

The standard has been and remains in most places a 1.5T scanner.

A 3T scanner generates VERY clear images. Much clearer than 1.5T.

Also when having it performed see that an expert radiologist in prostate imaging reports on it and not a general radiologist who may miss something.

As for my health, all is well 😃

• Posted

Thank you, barney! This is helpful information.

And I'm glad to hear all is well in terms of your health!

• Posted

One more thing. Make sure that Dad advises the staff at the imaging facility IF he has any metal in his body because this means either the MRI can take place but some things need to be adjusted to take into account any metal or the MRI cannot take place.

• Posted

Hello Francesca

I was treated for prostate cancer - Gleason 4+3 - 12 months ago. As I understand it this is just over the line where treatment is recommended. The good news is that your dad may have a choice of treatments. The other good news is that treatments have a high probability of being successful at this stage. The thing that we did which proved very helpful was finding a local prostate cancer support group to learn from other patients. We also found Macmillan support workers to be really helpful. A daughter accompanied her father to the support group. He has now been treated and seems reasonably happy with his recovery.

I did not use the Prostate Cancer UK helpline but have heard very good reports about them as offering helpful information and medically informed advice. in your position I think I would contact them to prepare for the meeting with ur dads dr.

One year on, I am very glad to have been treated. There are losses but I am learning how to be sexually active again with some success. Being alive and well is worth a lot more than what is lost.

Hoping all goes well for ur dad. He is fortunate to be so well supported.

Tim

• Posted

Hi Tim, thank you for sharing your story!

I hope you are doing well and now cancer free.

I knew absolutely nothing about the prostate and prostate cancer, etc. until recently. Now I'm learning so much in such a short period of time!

We actually reside in Canada, so I'm going to look into more local helplines, if there are any at all.

Following my dad's diagnosis, I discussed the idea of him joining a local support group, but he was completely against the idea. I think he was in denial over the diagnosis, and knowing my dad's personality, he would never join a support group.

He has a fear of hospitals, doctors, illness and therefore, joining a support group, in his mind, is out of the question. But, who knows, maybe he'll change his mind. I'm not holding my breath, though.

• Posted

I understand everyone is different. Some like support groups and others do not. I was urged to join one. I did not want to. But I joined and saw that it did not benefit me. But glad I joined, to at least try it out.

• Posted

I hear you, barney. At least you gave it a shot, right?

I knew he wouldn't go for it, and I respect my dad's decision on not wanting to go. Like you, I don't think he would enjoy it or find it beneficial. If anything, I think it could cause him stress. When it comes to his health, he's a pretty private guy, and the last thing he wants to do is attend a support group where they discuss something that he detests - i.e. - illness, doctors, hospitals, etc.

• Posted

Thanks for your good wishes Francesca. I felt much like your Dad about support groups while I was on active surveillance after my initial diagnosis - Gleason 3+3 - but when it came to 4+3 with a recommendation that i needed to choose a treatment i changed my approach. It was so helpful talking to men who had been through different treatments. They all have side effects and implications for further treatments if the cancer returns so it is an important but difficult choice. it also broke down my sense of isolation and being alone with the potential time bomb ticking away in my loins. i wasn't easy but I am glad i did it. some men come with wives or daughters - less frequently sons!

Your response prompted me to check my latest blood test results from earlier this week. All clear so far. 😃

I really hope your father finds a route forward that suits him. There are some really good services in Canada. My consultant undertook a fellowship in Toronto and speaks very highly of the quality of treatments and follow up care. The follow up is probably better than the UK so you are in the right country for the best treatment options.

• Posted

PS Correction My consultant had a fellowship in Vancouver

• Posted

In that case the best thing to do is to lay off him. Folk handle illnesses differently and the last thing you want to do is add to his already through the roof stress levels.

What you could do is obtain literature (brochures, pamphlets etc) that would have been given to him at a support group, for him to read at his leisure and in private.

Of course he may trash them without reading, but in that case you have done all you can without upsetting him, and you can do no better than that.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi barney,

He will definitely trash any brochures or info I provide, or he'll just thank me, put them aside, and not bother reading them - which is fine AND expected. As long as I am informed, doing the research and advising my dad, that's all that matters to me.

As the saying goes, 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink'. So true...

• Posted

Thank you for the uplifting words, tim!

I'm glad to hear your blood tests came back clear. Great news!

I'm truly learning so much from all of you on this forum. Really priceless information!

I think I have my research cut out for me! The fact that choice of initial treatment could affect future cancer treatment options is overwhelming and well, scary....

• Posted

Very true. I know of a case where a friend's parent has a brain tumor and is scared of treatment because of the bad side effects.

I pointed out to her that no treatment has one really bad side effect: death in under 2 years. I provided paperwork on this and left it with her (the daughter) to give her Mum.

I fully agree with you. You can lead a horse.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.