Globus and me !

Posted , 11 users are following.

A few months ago i'd nver heard of this horrible condition.

I developed it mid January this year after approx 6 months of anxiety and then an emotional shock.

I am stuck with a feeling of something like mucous at the base of my throat that no matter how many times i swallow wont go away.

The only real respite i et is when eating or drinking.

​I am addressig the issue of anxiety with Sertraline and had an appointment with ENT to look down my throat via my nose.

He discovered i ad acid reflux which i assume is silent as i didn't experience a burning sensation.

He prescribed Pantoprazole to reduce acid.

Symptoms no better 6 weeks later.

​Just had a follow up with ENT and he has reiterated that i need to treat the root cause ( anxiety ) , he sais he's gonig to look down my oesophagus under a GA, i guess to reassure me further.There is a 3-4 month waiting list so i'm trying not to stress,lol

​I have found it helpful reading about other peoples Globus and hope that i in turn can help other people.

5 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HiShelley, I just came across your post from 2 years ago, whilst looking for any mention of globus, having had it written on my paperwork from consultant.

I’ve been suffering from it for a long time now. Maybe be is a very lucky by story, but I was wondering if you have sorted your problem out? 

I am starting trial and error tests at home, trying to rule out possible causes. I do not believe that it is anxiety.

Regards W

• Posted

I too am a new sufferer. I do not believe mine is from anxiety either. The first time I have ever had anxiety  is from this globus thing NOT GOING AWAY!  I do however have severe acid reflux and it could be caused from that for sure. I just started doing the regimen that helper1 said saved his/her life. 
    • Posted

Hi Nancy, Is your problem in your throat, or is it, like mine, a feeling of ‘a lump of phlegm hanging in with claws’ ?

I keep telling the Drs and consultants that I think it’s my sinuses, but they haven’t checked thatcarea yet.... Unfortunately, I ‘have a lot going in’ At the moment, so have to prioritise at the hospital.

Anxiety? I did get the sensation when I went to the dentist yesterday ( now THAT’S ANXIETY), but it seems to happen at weird times, with no obvious cause...... but it WAS a heck of a lot worse when I used to suck polo mints on the bus, and mentos..... OMG.... so bad. 

I’ve tried to cut out sugary things, and it’s not half as bad. 

Like you, I did get anxious when it happened, and I have found that mind over matter helps.... Try to put your mind on something else completely..... See if it helps.

W

• Posted

Mine definitely feels like something is stuck but I have a lot of phlegm also. I went to you tube and searched globus hystericus. I feel like I received more answers there than at the doctor so far!  One video talks about tight neck and throat muscles and gave instructions as to what exercise should be done.  I’m going to give that a try for sure. It’s driving me crazy. I have a stressful job so I’m sure that’s part of it. The only thing that has kept me sane is lorazepam. Sad. I’ve been so healthy my entire life. I just don’t get this!!!
    • Posted

Did you by any chance have a car accident in the past? Whiplash ? The consultant last week told me that my barium swallow test showed problems with vertebrae in neck and I have a piece of bone (extra), poking ( I think he meant)..... also, I have dismobility( the muscles don’t work correctly. 

I’ve just made my breakfast , not eaten yet, but took my tablets, and the sensation is building. Feel I need to eat to ‘send it down’. 

I will take a look at you tube when I get free time later today......

W

• Posted

I didn’t have whiplash but my husband accidentally fell on me two years ago which caused horrible pain in my neck and one arm. I went to the chiropractor for 8 weeks after. Also my CT Scan vertebrae deteriation in my neck. 
    • Posted

I think perhaps neck trauma may be a cause, but I’m not a medical person. Just trying to work it out.  Neck exercises may well help. I hope you get some relief from it. Try not to get anxious when you start feeling it 🤞 W

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.