Globus and me !

Posted , 11 users are following.

A few months ago i'd nver heard of this horrible condition.

I developed it mid January this year after approx 6 months of anxiety and then an emotional shock.

I am stuck with a feeling of something like mucous at the base of my throat that no matter how many times i swallow wont go away.

The only real respite i et is when eating or drinking.

​I am addressig the issue of anxiety with Sertraline and had an appointment with ENT to look down my throat via my nose.

He discovered i ad acid reflux which i assume is silent as i didn't experience a burning sensation.

He prescribed Pantoprazole to reduce acid.

Symptoms no better 6 weeks later.

​Just had a follow up with ENT and he has reiterated that i need to treat the root cause ( anxiety ) , he sais he's gonig to look down my oesophagus under a GA, i guess to reassure me further.There is a 3-4 month waiting list so i'm trying not to stress,lol

​I have found it helpful reading about other peoples Globus and hope that i in turn can help other people.

5 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, have you tried anything that helper1 said?  I tried the honey last night and actually went away for the night.  Although, I just finished the room temp water and with lemon and I just took the tablespoon of the coconut oil before 2 pieces of flax toast.  Not sure, but my stomach seems to not like the lemon.  Anyway, please let me know if you have had any success.  Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Jacqui,

? i have tried umpteen things, on ppi off ppi, honey, silicol gel, gaviscon to name but a few,i have anxiety which i feel is the cause of my problems.

On lansoprazole at the moment and having some success, i'm more relaxed about the globus and that has improved a lot.

I wouldn't think lemon would be good as it is acidic.

?I think it's a case of trial/error and treating the anxiety alongside the physical symptoms.

Hope you enjoy your trip

• Posted

What is lansoprazole?  I am in the middle of an antibiotic right now, since last Tuesday night first dose.  Its odd though, its gets worse all day.  And now today, I am so sore everywhere.  I think that anxiety and stress over all this is killing me in all.  Well, I am going to keep trying, and praying.  Keep me posted, maybe the stress and anxiety I have will go a little down while I am away.  sad  Hopefully I won't worry more as I am away.  Thank you for replying to me.  

• Posted

Yes hopefuly your stress and anxiety level will go down whilst you are away.

​The mind is very strong, one day i was having a bad reflux day, went to a party in the evening, ate loads , drank wine and guess what, no symptoms.

​Lansoprazole is a PPI, easier on the stomach than Pantoprazole apparently.What symptoms do you have Jacqui ?

I am on sertraline and anti deppresant for my anxiety and have just started an online course to learn CBT

• Posted

#I am and have been stressed since January 2016, so 6 months or so and its been everything bad since then.  I wasn't having heartburn or anything symptoms at all until about 3 weeks ago.  I kept feeling a lump in my throat and it felt like I had to spit.  I couldn't spit there was nothing there, I thought maybe allergies, on which I already take Zyrtec for daily.  So I tried the usual allergie meds and sinus meds (maybe it was dripping down my throat).  Nothing there worked.  So I tried Musinex, its a mucas thinner, maybe it would help me spit it up?  Nope, so then onto the fact that I have been running a mild temp of 100 all this time.  Anyway, still the lump sensation was there.  It has been affecting me mentally so besides the regular daily 100% stress that I have, and the fact that I have bad anxiety problems and bipolar as it is, doesn't help this 1 bit.  I finally went to the Dr now 2 weeks ago today and he did nothing but say get a catscan in which it all looked good except I have a lot of scattered bi latteral lymph nodes in my throat.  I didn't find out the results until a week ago saturday, and they didnt' tell me, I went onto my dr's chart that I have to see all my health stuff and read them.  So now, being as my normal stress and anxiety are at an all time high, I made them even worse as I went online and looked up all the sypmtoms that I had at that point and freaked until Monday when the dr was open.  I must say, I have really crappy drs, I called in the am to get the results and they said they would call back to which they did not by 2pm.  I was freaking out, printed out the results, walked into the Drs office with them in my hand, tears in my eyes and said exactly to them?  I called was upset no one called and you all know about my mental health problems, why make an already panicked person wait? The receptionist in the back said oh, you must be Jacquelyn?  Um yes!  She said oh she didn't call you yet?  No, so she took the papers, went out back, came back with a business card and sent me to the ENT, not even the DR to talk to me, or the nurse!  UGH  Anyway, I left crying driving to the ENT office, they calmed me down enough to make appoointment for next day, DR there scoped up my nose and down my throat and found nothing!  Nothing!  So he said here, take these 2 medications, 1 is Augmentin 875mg tabs (2 a day) and the other is the Pantoprazole Sodium 40mg tabs (1 a day).  Anyway, I don't think my stomach handled the PPI because I thought I was going to die the night I took it.  I had extreme pain everywhere in my GI track, up in my throat and all.  I have had ulcers before because of to much stress and Ibprofen and this is probably what caused all this in the beginning, but anyway, I almost went to the ER because I was in that much pain, my stomach I thought was going to explode.  So the Dr told me to take the antibiotic for now and see what happends.  Well, now I have 4 more days and lately I wake up with pains in my lower back and upper back in the night time.  And I have burning like I have an ulcer and I have tried so many different antacids and none have worked.  All I want to do is cry, I woke up crying and was making my son his toast crying and now I am starting again.  So I have a lump in my throat that I can't swallow, a low temp of usually 100 degrees or so and whatseems like heartburn that was never bothered before.  And well now the pains in my back like either its all going to break or I am.  sad  I will write more from the plane or when I arrive at the destination where I really don't want to be as it is, so that is more anxiety and stress.  

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, i' so sorry you feel so stressed and anxious, doctors dont always help with their attitude, although i have to say my gp is good.

My symptoms started with a lump in the throat feeling, rather like mucous that wouldn't come up. It developed after a period of being anxious about my health. I had a camera up my nose with an ent consultant, he told me i had acid reflux although i didn't experience heartburn.

After taking the panto my stomach problem developed and i put it down to the panto so asked for it to be changed. The consultant refused and did another scope down my throat under a GA. Again he reiterated that there was acid reflux and to keep on taking the panto.

?After trying various things i came off the panto and am on the lansoprazole at the moment, this seems to be working better on my stomach and my globus has been improving for a while now.

I believe this condition will get better but will no doubt flare up again, i will continue with the lanso for now and work on my anxiety.

With globus the best thing to do apparently is to forget about it, not easy when you feel someone is stood on your throat.

With ppi's you need to take them for a number of months, although for some people they work quicker.

I find chewing whitening gum helps the globus, as does drinking water, i have also tried breathing excercises and visualising the lump going.

Please do try to enjoy your trip, the more you relax the better.

When you get make make a plan

• Posted

That is exactly what happened with my stomach.  No heartburn or feelings in my stomach until I took that PPI and I know its acid reflux now to.  I had a problem with the back of my knees and my knees and was taking a lot of Ibprofen and I knew I shouldn't have because it would cause an ulcer to form again.  And yet did it.  But, I didnt' think this stuff would get stuck in the back of my throat.  Never had that before and its terrible.  Funny, all the way to the airport nothing, all the way up until we were about to get on the plane, in the jetbridge as I was getting upset with my son did it happen.  Nothing at all until then.  Even after I ate a part of a sub, nothing.  But, the minute that I started to had got upset iwth him it started all over again and now is here.  I am on the plane now and its bothering me a little.  Water doesn't help me much.  And I used to drink close to a gallon a day sad   I haven't been able to see my therapist for awhile now, well 2 weeks and then before that it was about 3 weeks and so feelings that I couldn't express or have her help me express or explain to me I guess backed up.  I was on a really good routine exercising and everything 15 pounds in about 6 weeks or so!  All the way until this happened with my throat, I haven't really been back to the gym.  Its weird though because like I said I have the slight tempature of 100 or so about 75-85% of the time?  I alst stress a lot because I left Massachusettes to come to Florida to get away from stress up there and its ten times worse down here.  Plus, I took my son out of a great school and although this school is supposed to be great he is having trouble in it.  So that is upsetting, and his dad had cancer and I took him out of Dana Farber hospital care for one down here and ALL these Dr's are stupid!  They haven't a clue and its a cancer hospital.  They are all snotty or rude, most the nurses are too.  I really wish I could figure a way to move back and all, but it all seems impossible right now.  I will maybe try and figure out another type of acid reducer that may work.  I just am so upset that I took us all from the best doctors in the world to totaly crappy ones that only want money and not to help.  Even the eye dr is bad.  Sorry for the long sob story, just it seems to help a little knowing that some people out here also have the same problems as well as mostly everyone here has anxiety to go with it.  So it seems I am not so crazy.  I am going to try and relax as much as I can, but I have a very hyper, non attentive and defient 8 year old.  Yikes.  And his grandparents make it worse.  Yikes.  Really though, Thank you for talking to me.  This is nice

• Posted

Hello Jacqui, hope you are enjoying your trip.

My globus gets worse when i'm anxious too, very common

• Posted

I haven't been feeling all that well since I've been here feeling seems to stay in my throat and now my right ear has been hurting. I am still on the Augmentin so I don't understand how my ear could be hurting as well as my temperature still stays around 100.2 Nothing seems to make sense

• Posted

sorry to hear this Jacqui, what is augmentin ?

?pm me if you want to chat in private, i'm here

• Posted

Hi, I can describe myself experiencing the exact same symptoms as you, same progression, etc.

I have been exposed to a lot of stress before this startes (work+house moving+ finding out my partner had cancer - now he is fine) so all these concerns with the lump in the throat made just impossible to see light at the end of the tunnel, however I read every single comment here and in all grpups related ans I can find the conclusion that what we have it was cause by stress and anxiety and bacame a physical would that will only go away if we find a way of stopping to overthink about it. And to stop getting anxious about other problem too. I only got better when I realised That what is making me feel bad is my own overthinking and fear of this stupid symptoms! It is difficult, but once you realise this is the problem things do get muchh better. I think to get 100% fine will require to change our life style and diet. As you I used to go to the gym everyday and I stopped completelly since november when things started to get stressful. I am sure if we get back on track with exercises and good habits we will get fine again! I did a lot of exams that came normal, which game me a peace of mind to be able to start to control my stupid fear and overthinking about this problem. Slowly but surely , we will get better if we are strong enought to fight this back, doing what is right and good to our mind, then as a consequence , our body will heal! The mind is very powerful indeed and in the same way that can make us ill can also heal.

Don't give up, don't get negative! Get up and start to do thing you think are going to make you feel better and keep your mind busy with something you enjoy doing, to distract to, plus all the food diet and blablabla everybody is advising and you should start to feel much better as I am starting to feel now!

Ps: sorry for my poor english

• Posted

Wow. Work house moving son having adhd with now not a good dr. His dad had cancer and we moved away from Dana Farber in Boston MA and now he has bad Drs and his health isn't so good. And now me. And I had to fight for some health insurance. Oh I am so understanding of your situation. But see now I have to move back to Massachusetts and it's so much more to live there. I'm so lost. I screwed up big time and the worst is I have messed up my son and his dad. It all falls on me and me being a failure again. Oh and I have lots of mental issues with no dr to help. It seems like I have lost hope.

• Posted

Listen to me! Your cure is in yourself! Believe me! Believe in you! Stop the thoughts about feeling sad and sorry for yourself! Find in that sadness angry to end this situation like I did! Think: " I am not going to let this to mess up with my life because I WANT and I Will get better and will get over all of these!"

• Posted

you are right henrique the mind is strong, strong enough to cause problems so we must learn to turn it around and use it to get rid of the symptoms.

Easier said than done i know but it does give hope

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.