Globus sensation

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone!  My apologies if this has been asked on here before.  Has anyone ever developed a sensation in their throat that feels like there is something in the throat, or at times feels like you are being strangled?  This started for me about 5 months ago....and seems to be a chronic thing....sometimes it will go away for a week or two, or even a day or two but then returns. A few doctors suggested GERD.....one thought maybe anxiety.....I wonder if it is muscle related....I don't wake up with it and it seems to show up halfway through the day and I feel relief when I eat something.  I just started seeing an osteopath and she things it is the upper esophagus spasming, and tells me she will work on it at next treatment.   I am going to call for an appointment to get a modified barium swallowing test where they look at how the muscles are working....I am not sure where they go from there, but I am not game for having an endoscopy shoved down my throat because I don't feel that is going to prove anything.   I wondered though if this is peri related only because leading up to this I have had so many hormonal issues (according to gynocologist and urologist) and it seems that this has followed those things.....I also had shingles in February of last year, so I feel like my body has taken quite the whipping the last little while.....just curious if any of you have this, have you been diagnosed or treated, or better yet have you been able to get rid of it?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda, yes, I had this in the very beginning of a hellish year. I saw an ENT who scoped my throat and suggested I might have silent reflux. This led to changing my diet, big weight loss, and going downhill fast. I now think it wasn’t reflux at all. I’m sure it was related to peri, or the anxiety that went along with peri, or the EBV that reactivated due to the drop in hormones. It lasted for a few months and then went away. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I may ask my doctor to be referred to an ENT after I have the barium test....I have had mine for about 5 months on and off.....what I read it does seem like an LPR (silent reflux) but I have started already to change my diet to low acid foods, and I started taking DGL tablets, and I take gavascon if it gets really bad.   It can go away for hours but return again.   I am starting to chart it to see if it gets better or worse around hormone fluctuations.  Where I live we don't have specialized doctors in this type of thing...so I have to research so I know what to ask from my doctor.  

• Edited

HELLO LINDA, YES, THE LUMP IN YOUR THROAT FEELING IS FROM ANXIETY.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU AND NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE GERD.  YES THIS IS VERY MUCH PART OF PERI.  I STARTED WITH ALL THESE SYMPTOMS  AS SOON AS I TURNED 45.  ITS BEEN TWO YEARS OF PURE HELL, EMOTIONS AND AWKWARD  CHANG ES IN MY BODY.    I CAN HONESTLY SAY TO YOU I AM MUCH BETTER NOW AND MANY OF THE PERI SYMPTOMS HAVE SUBSIDED.  BUT WHEN ALL THIS HIT ME IT STARTED WITH ANXIETY AND THE FEELING OF A LUMP STUCK IN MY THROAT.  I HAVE YET TO REACH MENOPAUSE AND I HAVE NEVER TAKEN ANYTHING FOR THESE SYMPTOMS .  I JUST MADE SOME LIFESTYLE CHANGES AND  LOTS OF FAITH AND PRAYERS TO OUR LORD AND SAVIOR BECAUSE HE CREATED WOMAN AND HE WOULD NEVER GIVE US MORE THAN WE CAN HANDLE AND ALL THIS TOO SHALL PASS.  HANG IN THERE AND MUCH LOVE AND SUPPORT YOUR WAY.
    • Posted

Hi olimari, I keep telling myself there's nothing wrong with me, but I can't help thinking this and that..a lot of my symptoms I had earlier in peri came back now I reach 12 months I don't know why been through it 8 years and thought they went so now back to square one, so your lucky they disappear.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I had this for months and doctor said it was globular hysteria caused by my anxiety. after several more trips to my doctor arguing my case that I had a lump he agreed for me to get it checked.

Had appointment where a camera was passed up through my nostrils and down into the back of my throat.

To my astonishment the Dr advised me my throat was clear and healthy. He advised me that the mind is a powerful tool and if you convince yourself you feel a lump then you will feel a lump.

Happy to say since that appointment I have never felt it again.

Menopause brings such anxiety and I am convinced that my own health anxiety caused this and many other ailments that were not there.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Linda, yes I get that..to me is like ya joking that's how i put it..not notice feeling it goes and come if I get uptight can bring it on,and then another time ain't there.

• Edited

Hi Linda I had the globus sensation and a terrible cough for several months. I'd convinced myself I had lung issues. Eventually I was referred to Ent who put a camera up my nose to the back of my throats to have a look at what was going on( this test wasn't an issue at all.....it was no problem). They found everything enflamed and blistered!!! To cut a long story short I was put on Mometasone a steroid nasal spray and hospital strength antihistamine Fexofenadine. My blisters, inflammation and cough stopped after 3 mths......it took a while to settle down. The conclusion to my issues where rinitus and allergies!! I'm on both medication perminantly now.

I do suffer from anxiety which was triggered by a close loss and coeliac disease.

• Posted

Hi Linda

i had that for a very long time, would go away for a short time and then will come back..is the weirdest feeling and always when im anxious.

my dr put me on acid reflux meds and seems to be working..

Also when my neck and upper back is tight I get that as well.

• Posted

You all have given me comfort, knowing that this is not uncommon and not always related to the worst case scenario that you find on google.  I have developed crazy earth anxiety over the last coup,e years when I seem to get weird random new symptoms.  I feel like I am always at the doctors office for something, before this I only went for annual check ups, now it seems every couple of months I am there with something new to report.  The anxiety must have brought this on....and it is interesting because it seems worse if I am under stress, worried, or over tired....I still may do the barium test, just for my own peace of mind....and if it doesn't get better I may ask to be referred to an ENT for a proper diagnosis......I just want the proper treatment....I don't want to take ppi's is it isn't gerd...etc....This seems to be a very stressful phase of life....I am 43 and it seems as soon as I turned 40 things went out of control in my normal feeling body.

• Posted

OM gosh I just wrote about this a few days ago :  i think that is what is happening to me. Not sure though. Does your throat hurt or you get the choking feel and it goes away right away. I wrote about my throat hurting most of the time. I feel like i have something in my throat i feel tightness. I get 1 or 2 day relief then again sad . I thought it was allergies but right now i doubt it. I also thought it was post nasal drip not sure. But I always have that dreadful feeling that i have throat cancer sad . I am going to get it checked out i was just trying allergy meds, IBS meds, and post nasal remedies but still feel the same. I just turned 47 and have had almost all 66 symptoms of menopause sad . Please let me know if your throat ache lasts a while or is it just for the moment when you get the anxiety. I know for sure i have anxiety just not sure if that is what is causing my throat ache! I have never had anxiety but i do now sad . I am on the estradiol patch .025 low dose. It helps me with my moods and hot flashes. I have been feeling a little better from 2 yrs ago. but right now its my throat ache and chronic UTI sad . I hope you start feeling better soooon!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

I have had throat aches in the past....most of the time around my period...even sore throats, but they were very light and passed once my period was over.  This that I have now isn't an ache or sore, it just feeling like after you swallow there is something in there...not when I eat, but like swallowing saliva and sometimes it can feel like I am being strangled....I have been rubbing oils on it and that seems to help a bit, but it seems that there is either a bit of inflammation or the upper esophagus is spasming......I am eating low acid diet right now, and taking Gavascon when it gets too intense...only because the doctors feel it is GERD, because back in the summer I was getting chest pains....they ruled out heart and said GERD, it was after the first chest pain that I started feeling this feeling in my throat.  They said I could try a PPI for 20 days to see if that helped, which I haven't tried yet, as I don't want to make things any worse than they are...meaning side effects as medications always give me that.   I was on a progestrone cream prior to all of this happening and I will say that was the best I felt in a long time,....until this started....then reading it says progestrone can cause acid reflux and weakening of the espohagual muscles, so I stopped using it and now a lot of my old symptoms are back...can't win.  Trying to stay positive in all of this, but also getting tired and frustrated because I feel like I am always at the doctors getting checked over....I am sure they think I am crazy by now.....Probably when it is all said and done they are just going to offer me anti anxiety pills and send me on my way.

• Posted

Linda, we sound exactly the same! I told you I had that lump in my throat and had it scoped. I was having chest pains too. Visited the ER a few times worried I was having a heart attack. So it made sense that maybe it was GERD. So I did try the PPI. I took one nexium and my body just started shaking all over. It was awful. I was also having trouble breathing and felt like something was on my upper back. I’m telling you, this was the beginning of my downward spiral. And I wasn’t on progesterone. If you were feeling ok on it, I’d say to give it a whirl again. And you are right, after complaining of all these symptoms the doc sent me home with Valium. At least it helped me sleep while I was on it, which I desperately needed.

But it seemed like any med I would take, even a Tylenol and I’d get side effects. My body was so super sensitive to everything.

A year and a half gone by and my symptoms still cycle and when it hits I have some trouble breathing, get achy, etc but it’s nothing like it was when all this first hit me. Maybe now I just don’t let anxiety get me going because I know now what it is. Being undiagnosed was the worse part of it. And feeling like I was truly dying. 

And lastly, be careful about your diet. When I went on the silent reflux diet I lost 30 pounds very quickly and I think that made matters worse. Maybe just cut out the biggest offenders like caffeine and mint. 

XO

• Posted

Thanks Suzanne,  yes I think the not knowing is making my anxiety worse.  I am waiting to hear back for my barium test, I just can't brace myself to get the scope done......the thought of it gives me major anxiety.   I do know anxiety has been a lot of my issues in the past but since in peri, the fight or flight button is stuck on go even when I am not worried or stressed.  While I wait for the testing I am doing some meditating, yoga and not over booking myself in my scheduling.  I also am seeing an osteopath just started last month and will see her at the end of the month....as for the weight I am hoping to take it off slowly, I do need to lose a bit of weight as I think this will help from food pushing back up.  

• Posted

HI, my old symptoms that I had from the beginning of Per has also came back..I'm now 12 months and I thought they would stay away even if new ones came out, what can you do take it in your stride and carry on,I'm better sleeping it all off, when you wake up back to it again,but my sister got better so why not us.

• Posted

I hear you.  The majority of my friends don't have this, however they are on anxiety medication.  So I question when we reach a certain age if not only our hormones play a factor, but serotonin levels as well.  I really don't want to take that route as I am so sensitive to anything pharmacuetical but these symptoms are for the birds.  Some days are better than others so I embrace them....At thus point I feel like I am at a stand still, part of me wants the tests to rule anything out, but the other part says why bother, because in the end they will say anxiety and offer a pill.....so for now I continue with my low acid diet, I am drinking more water, adding minerals to my diet...trying to relax more and go from there......I have hope that this too shall pass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.