going cold turkey from venlafaxine

Posted , 35 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Good morning! After 2 years of being on 150mg of ven I decided to try to come off them! Doc advised cutting down to 75+ 37.5 but this made me feel awful! So sick and dizzy! I stuck with it for 2 weeks but decided that I would go cold turkey as it couldn't be any worse and yo be honest it really wasnt! Doc gave me anti sickness pills which really helped! I was also given 2mg of diazapam which help with the zaps and feelings of panic (although i take 4mg as 2mg didnt help! ( Well im on day 4 of cold turkey and no where near as dizzy the night sweats aren't as bad but im def more snappy even though mentally I feel ok ! ! Brain zaps aren't as intense, I feel like im making progress! Surely im ocer the worst?

So im wondering if any one can share they cold turkey experiences/advice with me?

Many thanks in advance xxxx

5 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

6 x days cold turkey from Venlafaxine ,I was on Prozac for a few months omg then seroxate/peroxatrine for 8 yrs then for the last 4 yrs ,suicidal attemps in past due to sexual attack, beatings, ptsd etc etc too much evil stuff happened to the innocent little girl I was once ,now in my 50s seems everything eventually caugt up and  had a massive motorway crash with my brain emotions actions and who I was (no idea who i am now ) after yet another betrayal by a loved one i lost the plot and planned for the last time my exit ,still not gone thru yet and as im a single mum ,nan and sister i do have loved ones but i live as a recluse and have not one single other person apart from family in my life ,begged and begged for help from mental health who have my name but dont give any needed help and thats not just from me my sister is a top health pro so knows what shes talking about. WELL i stopped 25thfeb 2017 ,symptoms ,being sick for no reason ,head like a blob of jelly wobbling everyhere when im walking or sitting still ,eyes slow to react to what they are looking at ,unsteady is an understatement on my feet ,keep tripping up and falling ,extremem dizzy spells ,fainting , no proper appitite ,cannot concentrate ,speech jumbled and cannot remember correct words or say sentances without jumbling up , head seems to be having a sort of electric storm with zaps which make you jump ,full feature length dreams of a normal nature (rare for me)  sleep hard to find but shattered all the time , feels like my head is a massive weight and constant bad bad headache ,constant hourly breaking down in sobbing the most horrndous tears for anything to nothing ,opening or moving eyes painful ,ears very sensitive to sound and a lot more but I put the main ones as it may help others understand , I am not going back on tablets as 14 yrs of my life have been lost and can never be got back ,one thing that may worry you is you seem to find you have normal feelings something not felt for a long time depending on how long you were on tablets I was on 2 a day total dose I thing was 75 mgs , this has been hard writing as concentration is so poor and even trying to write is hard , I hope i manage to get thru and survive and i dont mean that in a 'wo is poor me way' I mean it cos its win or lose life with me ,cant live like an invisable person who the health people have forgotten or dont have time for and believe me iv screamed for help, so if i dont get thru i am unsure of what my incontrollable actions will do. For all those going cold turkey yur best bet is to get proffesional help with coming off as i would not recommend it but as im this far down the road 'this lady is not for turning' as they say , GOOD LUCK everyone , TAKR CARE and BLESS YOU ALL ..No one can understand the pain emotionally of mental illness unless they walk the road sufferers do xxx

• Posted

I meant to say been on VENLAFAXINE  for 4 yrs now till I went Cold turkey .
    • Posted

So true. I hate that I was a functioning drug addict, albeit, prescribed drugs for extreme pain, anxiety and depression, but, unless you walk in our shoes, then please don't judge us harshly. Please be kind. Any type of drug addict would prefer to be clean, if that's what we want. And, I desperately want to be me again xx

• Posted

Hey flower I am on day 2 of cold turkey I have been taking some vitamin b12 b6 to help take it day to day!
  • Posted

Hey! I have been on venlaflaxine for a few years now. My doctor has suggested I go off it and my body is ready. I was having a bunch of symptoms while taking it. It's changed my body chemistry. It's been almost a week now and I went from 150 to 75mg and now I'm off it. But I'm experiencing a lot of shocks inside my body. All I can do is sleep more than usual. I honestly don't know what to do. I call this pain rn and I don't know when it's going to end. I was devastated to hear months or even years before it ends. I don't think I'll last... is there any meds that I could take to hide symptoms? It's unbearable. 

• Posted

Hi all. What a medication this forum is !!!!! After breaking my neck 20 years ago I have been on the medication merry go round. I have been on the dreaded Effexor for 2 years. I've been to hell & back. Had a GP that handed out prescriptions like they were gifts. I'm not a stupid person, I should've said no, but,

the pain, anxiety & depression were too much to handle. So came the disgusting drug cocktails. Effoxor, Xanax, Stilnox, Oxycontin, Oxynorm, Lyrica, etc. Early last year, in a sleep coma, I overdosed on Lyrica. My daughter found me. I will never forgive myself for that. Ambulance to A&E. Psych ward for a week. I was mortified. Had a professional position with a huge multi national Co. I had to give up work. Then on top of everything I was then prescribed Physetone (methadone). Attended a new GP. Psych appointments. Gained 40kg. My life was crumbling around me. Even though I wanted to ween myself off all the meds, my new GP was taking too long. Then I had an emergency gallbladder removal 12 weeks ago. Over this last month I've been reducing the meds myself. Then, as of 6 days ago, went cold turkey. Not an intelligent thing to do, but, I wanted my life back. The first 3 days were EXCRUCIATING. Nausea. Vomiting. Vertigo. Dripping sweats one minute, freezing the next. Migraine. Scariest nightmares. A few hours of sleep here & there. Insomnia. No appetite. Day 4, eased very little. Day 5, all of the above, but, I spoke to a friend and she made me laugh like I have not laughed in years. I realised that I had become so vanilla on all the meds. Day 6 today. Starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Have done lots of research on withdrawal forums. Discovered that taking fish oil capsules, lots of water & mild antihistamine are definitely easing the indescribable feelings. But, I am not turning back. I have told no one, just said, I must have the flu. I hate to deceive my adorable family and friends, but, I need to get thru this dreaded withdrawal and LIVE AGAIN. I want normal emotions. I don't want to live in this debilitating fat fog. I can, AND WILL, do this. I hope everyone that tries as hard as I am (believe me, it's a harrowing battle), succeeds ???? We all deserve our lives back. Good Luck All xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.