Going for 30mg citalopram from 20mg, will I cope

Posted , 7 users are following.

The doctor had decided today to up my citalopram to 30mg, I have acute anxiety and not sleeping. I'm terrified as I don't want to feel worse. Only a few days ago I felt like I couldn't go on anymore and just wanted to disappear forever. I've been on 20mg for eleven weeks so far.x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Personally I would of reduced it by 10mg & not up it, too high a dose makes me anxious also, but when I’ve reduced ,I’ve felt better, everybody is different & it is definitely worth experimenting & not have your doctor just guessing.

• Posted

I also reduced and what a difference..still on ten milligrams and recovered..
  • Posted

Hang in there Gemma77.  You can do this.  Maybe if you do decide to up the dose only go up to 25 for awhile and then 30?  I've found I don't get as much anxiety doing increasing by 5 mg.   The other thing that helped me is I went and got a second opinon from a mental health doctor instead of just a general practioner.  They actually monitored closer and changed the drug I was on and it made all the difference.  Also they gave more coping and technique ideas for dealing with the anxiety.  Currently doing ART therapy (accelerated resoultion therapy) and its just teaching rethinking through rapid eye movements.  Just don't give up.  You can be happy and fun again--it just takes a little to get there.  You have a lot of people pulling for you!  You got this!

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I cannot tell you what you can or cannot cope with, only you know how you feel. You mentioned in another thread that 20mg worked for you and you wish you hadnt come off it. Why is it not working now? What are you afraid off? If you up it you may get side effects whilst you are settling, could you cope with this? I found counselling helped me alot and CBT is fantastic.
  • Posted

Hi Gemma,

I was taking propranolol with citalopram a while back and I didn't feel any better. When I checked for drug interactions, I stopped taking the propranolol. Taking citalopram with propranolol may increase the effects of propranolol and usually a dose adjustment is needed. This could mean uneven heartbeats, shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness and more. Also, citalopram and eszapiclone can cause similar side effects when used together. When your doctor increased citalopram today did he advise you to take these other meds too? If just seems like a lot of meds to me and I tend to agree with Mike and Lois about being careful about going up to 30mgs.

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

I was taking propranolol with citalopram a while back and I didn't feel any better. When I checked for drug interactions, I stopped taking the propranolol. Taking citalopram with propranolol may increase the effects of propranolol and usually a dose adjustment is needed. This could mean uneven heartbeats, shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness and more. Also, citalopram and eszapiclone can cause similar side effects when used together. When your doctor increased citalopram today did he advise you to take these other meds too? If just seems like a lot of meds to me and I tend to agree with Mike and Lois about being careful about going up to 30mgs.

• Posted

When you mean a med adjustment are you referring to the celexa or the beta blocker or both ..and how about the ziplocone does that need and adjustment also.. thanks
    • Posted

Hi Lois,

When I looked these meds up on the drug interaction site it stated that taking both citalopram and propranolol would need a dose adjustment, presumably both. There was no mention of a dose adjustment for ziplicone just details of the interaction symptoms with citalopram which were similar to those of citalopram and propranolol.

• Posted

Hit the reply button accidently.

You can check this on the drug interaction sites. When I started taking both I felt worse which made me look them up and that's why I stopped the propranolol. They were prescribed by two different doctors, I know my records are there in front of them but I wondered why drugs could be prescribed that could interact with one another. I eventually got used to 10mgs citalopram which worked very well for me for years until my recent blip.

Best wishes

• Posted

A lot of people are on a beta blocker and an SSRI :-). Besides rapid heart beat or irregular heart beat, beta blockers are also prescribed for high blood pressure. I wouldn't worry about the two interacting. They have a "moderate" interaction on the drug websites, but so do many other drugs with citalopram, including all the benzos :-).

• Posted

Yes you are right Kelly ..I never had a problem with the xanex with the ziplocone with the celexa..I guess everyone is different..I did take a beta blocker before and lasted a few days on it .the dizziness and muscle aches where horrible...
    • Posted

Hi Kelly,

Speaking about anxiety, I'm very nervous about taking too many medications especially when there is a risk of interaction. The combo didn't work for me. I sometimes think it's too easy for doctors to overprescribe meds instead of getting to the route of the problem. Citalopram itself can cause anxiety symptoms and so can propranolol as well as insomnia. Once you start taking a mixture of drugs and get all these anxiety symptoms it's difficult to tell what is causing the symptoms, your anxiety or your meds. It just messes with your head. Just my opinion.

I wish everyone well.

• Posted

I completely agree with everything you have said Sharlie, thats my experience of this too.
    • Posted

Thanks Paula,

I just want to try and help, I don't mean to add to anyone's anxiety, that's hell enough as it is.

I hope you are making good progress with your recovery after your weekend away. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.