Going to sleep and seeing objects getting smaller and larger

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi there I am 28 years old and ever since i was a little girl i have had this reoccurance that has always annoyed me and it wasnt until today i actually spoke of it to my mum and she also claimed that she has had this aswell over the time.

Basically when i am off to sleep and my eyes are closed i can see a black background and objects in a distance that a very small and then they are moving/bouncing around and getting closer to me and becoming so big its untrue. I have seen and felt my thumb enlarge and then move around and then get smaller etc, my tongue and legs and also random other objects too. But when i come to open my eyes i am feeling really dizzy and faint and obviously the objects etc have stopped but then asoon as i reclose my eyes it happens again and again. Then i don't have this again for another year or so and is exactly the same thing that happens. It not a nice feeling but very strange. Just wondered if anybody else knows exactly what i am talking about and had this experience aswell?? Would be very interesting if you had.

I am not into drugs, hardly drink, have depression but this started when i was around 5 years old onwards.

Thanks

Emz xx

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

did anyone find a specific name for this? i experienced the same dreams. the hairs on my arms and neck stood up while i was reading everyones posts. i cant believe other people experienced this too.

• Posted

This is interesting that others have experienced this. I too have had these odd dreams. Mine were only when I was very young, maybe 2-8? The dreams were frequent and impressionable enough that I still think about them often all these years later. My sister said she had them too and I have always wondered if anyone else experienced this.

For me it was always a random object, a thing I had never seen before. It could have been any random thing but always new to me. The background was always white/bright/absent. The object would grow and shrink... to unimaginable size. This part is hard to explain but there was a deep feeling associated with these dreams and would coincide with the size of the object, as if i were also large and small, I could feel it in my hands and body and it was not necessarily a pleasant feeling. Just very odd and whatever size the object landed on would leave me with a specific sensation/feeling that I am having a hard time explaining. The dreams were not scary to me but just very odd and I definite took notice. I've not experienced anything like it since then.

• Posted

This forum is making me feel a lot better about my experiences with these dreams. Mine were also always random objects, like small pieces of paper or a bottle cap or something. They would grow so large that they would start to suffocate me and I would panic. I know exactly what you mean about the uneasy feeling, reading about other people's experiences kind of triggers my memories of these dreams and makes me want to cry for some reason. The dreams must have scared me as a child because I still feel uneasy about them.

• Posted

Hey,

I'm 16 and I've also experienced something like this, although it usually isn't a dream like some of you are describing.

In my case, I'll go to bed and after maybe 5 minutes, I can still be wide awake and fully aware, and I'll just think about random things or objects while closing my eyes and they expand like crazy or get extremely small or twist around in weird angles over and over. I am fully awake and I can control my thoughts and make it stop, so it's kind of like my default image until I think about something else or fall asleep.

This happens to me about once a week. It's never really bothered me, except it does worry me because I have a lot of health anxiety. I used to have childhood epilepsy when I was about 8-10 and I've had one singular case of sleep paralysis that I thought was a siezure at the time. I don't think this is sleep paralysis because I am not asleep and have not been asleep before it happens.

It's nice to know I'm not alone!

• Posted

This is almost exactly how i feel! its not like a dream, but an imagination, except i cant stop mine i have to actually see to stop it and even when i go back to sleep it carries on. please look at my other comment!

-Alice

• Posted

This exactly what i experience like I'm awake but i can imagine objects get insansely big even when i open my eyes ill just imagine the objects in my room get bigger this only happens when I'm about to sleep not often though and it doesn't really affect me greatly but it definitely makes me anxious

• Posted

Hello, i am 14 and have been experiencing this for as long as i can remember. I have just experienced it and decided to research it for the first tine and came upon this. its great that other people have felt this too and that I'm not going mad! i asked my sister about it and she said she gets it too just not as often as she used to (she's 20).

I thought id share my experiences as i found it interesting to read others. When i was very young, maybe 3 or 4, i used to have very strange dreams and have night terror almost every week and i remember one dream from it very vividly, it was just a field with a white background, and it was just turning into to waves of spikes, I'm not sure how to describe it properly and over time its just turned into me trying to sleep and then feeling quote hot and ill and then trying to think but whatever i think of gets really large and small and starts twisting about and it really freaks me out so i have to turn on my light so i can see things normally and have a drink, splash my face with water to cool me down and i feel as though i have a temperature.

if anyone has experienced the same things i have or knows anything more about it or knows how to stop it, please reply id be very interested 😃

-Alice

• Posted

this is something I have had happen to me as far as I can remember. it started with a stomach virus I had when I was a kid and these images would appear. it could literally be anything, one second it would be massive then the next extremely thin and small. upon waking, the images would persist when I closed my eyes and bring on a strong sense of anxiety.

this is so strange that others see this exact thing as it is so hard to explain.

• Posted

This has also happened to me especially when I get really sick. when I was around 7 or8 I got really sick that I couldn't get up from bed for more than a week, doctors didn't know what was wrong. during those periods in bed, I had these imaginations frequently. I open my eyes and they are still there. everything I have them my temperature rises alot and I begin to sweat alot. I am 17 now I dont get these imagination anymore but I still remember them and can reimagine then when I close my eyes. what's crazy is how hard it is to describe it to someone. for me it was things turning into curved shape and becoming insanely large to the level that I become claustrophobic. Other times these imaginations occurred are when I get a fever or high temp.

• Edited

I am a 13 year old boy that has had this experience all my life on and off it is hard to control but it is very random when it happens. My therapist thinks it is because of stress and my anxiety. I had been through a lot, but I don't think that is the answer. I also hear ringing in my ears all the time, but I don't have these spells of some sort all the time though. I had these problem as long as I can rember. Some say it could be Vertigo others say different. I understand were they are coming from because Vertigo is dizziness, ringing in the ears, but I can tell its not. I do know there something in your ear that can cause this to happen and it is called labyrinth it can cause stuff like Meniere's syndrome, Vertigo, vestibular neuritis, and more. So I think that it could be mixed with one of these problems and others like having a fever also. Also thank you if you took your time to read this.

• Posted

OMG, exactly how you described it. Its honestly so weird, and it had began ever since my grandad (more like a dad-that i lived with since age2) passed away when i was 9 years old. I would wake up crying and describe this thing as a 'nightmare' as it would freak me out and i would end up waking up throughout the night full off tears and scared to close my eyes so i didnt have to go to sleep. i could never describe this to anyone as they had no idea what i meant as all i could describe it as was 'these random shapes and objects with enlarge and shrink and vary in size zooming in and out on a black background' and to this day i still have no idea what it is however now i dont get it as often as a i used to, roughly 6-12 a year- it depends, and i have no idea what triggers it ...

• Posted

hi! im 16 and this happens to me whenever a change/ something traumatic happens. i used to get it a lot when i was younger and remember drifting in and out, being in a white room with balls bouncing and everything slowly getting bigger. i had this again last night and im so glad others do as well as i was getting worried! i do remember being awake but whenever it happens its constantly on my mind and i have to watch something to get it to go. i feel as if im going crazy whenever it happens and i have this horrible feeling in my stomach. it scares me a lot to think about as i can still vividly remember these dreams. thank you 😃

• Posted

this happens a lot to me too but this is the only thing i have dreamed about since i was 4 and im 23 this is very weird.. Glad to know im not the only person who does this!

• Posted

Hello,

I've had this since I was a kid. It's definitely not connected to anxiety. I've only ever had it during high fever when I'm delirious.

• Posted

hey,

just now i saw the same that's why i searched it on google, and it since my childhood when i was 4 or 5 years old, i was having fewer at that day when its happened first time to me, and i have experienced just now as well, is it any disorder or just a bad day dream.. pls advice

thank god for showed me that it is happened to someone else too..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.