Golf and pmr.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, does anyone with pmr play golf? If so, how long have you had pmr, what dose of pred are you on and what are your coping strategies?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sure there is someone on one of the forums who plays golf - can't remember which ir who though I'm afraid.

• Posted

I have had. PMR since April16. I am down to 7mg. I used to play 3 times a week but have not played since. I do not have any energy.

• Posted

I play golf three days a week. I am currently taking 10 mg prednisone. I was diagnosed with pmr three months ago. The prednisone eliminates all the pain. The major difficulty I have is the pmr (or maybe the prednisone I do not know which) makes me tired all the time. I used to walk the course but now I need to ride in a golf cart. After four hours of golf I take a nap. I do not like the fatigue but somebody has to play golf.
  • Posted

I've had PMR for 4+ years. I am a 63 yr old female. I cycled 37 miles on Saturday. I also kayak for up to 2 hrs. at a time.

I'm currently on 15mg of Prednizone as I'm coming off of a flare in my left hip in March/April.

I seem to always have a lot of energy. I take cat naps as needed, but sometimes I just feel like laying down, I'm sure some of this is my age.

Sorry I don't play golf, as I hate it! 😆

• Posted

I havent played golf for years.........but ....anything you feel like doing ,have a go......

the thing i find is that ANY new exercise will cause muscle soreness ...or things you havent done for a while will be the same.........At the moment i am not too bad PMR wise but,,,,if i went out and polished the car ,i would be sore for a week....would this be a flare up.???  maybe not....just muscles saying they were 

on holidays.......but if i did bump my 5mg dose up to 10mg for 3 days there would be great relief.......this is where experimenting comes to the fore to see what

suits YOU.....having said that exercise is a must.....use it or lose it , how much you do depends how you feel......gently at first..........

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was sort of fine playing golf when taking pred, but I stopped taking the tablets 6 months ago. I manage fine on a day to day basis, but if I do anything strenuous like golf, I cannot do anything for 2 days afterwards. I'm loathe to give it up but don't want to go back on the tablets just to enable me to play!! I know I am luckier than some of my comrades out there, who are in very bad pain. I guess I need to put up or shut up. Many thanks.

• Posted

If a few mg of pred allowed me to do something I love that I couldn't do otherwise - I'd honestly think seriously about it. But what about taking a leaf out of Daniel's book? 

• Posted

Clicked reply and then thought about something. 

We used to talk a lot about pacing and how to be able to do more despite the fatigue and one of the things was that while climbing the stairs is good for you in moderation - but if you needed the energy to be able to do a light gym class for example - take the lift! Lots of little things like that add up - and if using a golf buggy allows you the pleasure and companionship of playing the rest of a round of golf - go for it.

Several people have fought a battle with themselves (and with their family) about using a walking aid, from a walking stick to a mobility scooter. Once they actually took the plunge they realised what a degree of freedom they gained. One gentleman bought an off-road mobility scooter - and was able to return to "walking" the cliff-top paths near his home instead of only being able to sit in the carpark and look at them!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the kindle book from Amazon.  I guess it is unanimous the pmr is making my tired. I am 78 years old and half Irish half Polish and no sorry ass  disease is going to keep me off the links even if I have to take a small snooze between shots.
    • Posted

Pam, why not play less than a full round?  Over time you may well work yourself up to the complete round.
    • Posted

Just realized we have 2 Pam's on here with very similar dates or numbers behind our names. Mine is Pam7653 and another is Pam7657. Just thought the group might want to know.

I'm the one that hates golf!! 😆

• Posted

Glad you pointed it out, although I may not remember who is who.  This is why, when signing up for something using my real name, which in my age group is extremely common (Jean), I'm offered my name with a string of numbers, I change it to something different!

• Posted

Hi Pam 7653, I have just changed my nickname, so no more confusion 😀

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Anhaga. I am already playing just 9 holes, so I think I will have to try the buggy as Daniel suggested! 😀

• Posted

There's actually 3 Pams! I'm Pam1973.  That's so unusual!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.