Golf and pmr.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, does anyone with pmr play golf? If so, how long have you had pmr, what dose of pred are you on and what are your coping strategies?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pam

Have PMR 3 years. Play golf 2x week, tennis 2x week and ride bike. When I have had flares it usually has effected right hand and can't play golf. But I upped my steroids and was able to play. I love being out there but I don't expect record rounds. Handicap has gone up 5 strokes but that's OK. Get a birdie and feel great. Take a nap in afternoon and everything is good.

• Posted

I just bought a set of clubs and am trying to find the energy to try.  I haven't played in fours years.  I was on vacation last week and went snorkeling.  By using my arms so vigorously in the rough ocean, I'm still suffering with pain and weakness, which I'm suspecting is from the pmr.  Once I do begin playing golf again, I'm sure 9 holes will be my limit.  Good luck to you! Don't quit....just scale back.

• Posted

With golf though it isn't constant use like swimming in the sea is it? I was able to ski as long as I did short runs with a good rest on the lift inbetween. However many short runs I couls manage one after the other, I couldn't do a longer one without suffering afterwards.

• Posted

Hi Pamros,

I am in my 5th year of PMR and am currently reducing to 3 1/4 mgs. 

I played golf frequently before PMR but when this hit me I had to give up golf for a couple years. I very slowly started back, going to the driving range, then out on the course but just dropping a ball at the 150 yd. marker - so basically short irons, chipping and putting. Then I could eventually play 18 holes and I walk as the course isn't too hilly. 

I still can't use my driver or 3 wood - they cause discomfort in my shoulders - so I use a 5 wood off the tee. Every now and then I try my driver at the driving range but so far I can't swing it without shoulder issues. 

I try to play twice a week, and occasionally three times. If my PMR is bothering me a little bit I rent a power cart or just play 9 holes and if I'm feeling really tired I stay home. 😥

You probably won't know if you can play golf - and how much - until you get out and give it a try! ??🏌🏻???

• Posted

Thank you MrsCJ, I will persevere a little more gently! 🏌🛌

• Posted

You have to start small - and build up slowly. It doesn't matter what it is you want to do, you can't dive in at full stretch right from the start!

• Posted

Eileen I wish I could start at all!  I used to play three times a week as well as being in the club league team. and going off on "open days" at other clubs.  I have read about people saying once they were on Pred they felt energised. I have  never felt welll...so breathless and with numb and tingly hands where I cannot hold the club.  I am so tired I feel as if someone walks behind me pulling me back.. i sound pathetic but I ams seeing a new rheumie to get a second opinion.  I WILL play again  

• Posted

I've never felt "energized" on pred either - you are not alone!

• Posted

I have had PMR For 3-1/2 years...worked my way down to 7-1/2m at several points...presently at 8m. Just started Actemra yesterday...we will see!

Golf for me means walking 9 holes, then taking a cart for the next nine.

Then, that is it for the day...nothing else! That is on a good day. Drink plenty of liquids...bring a snack. Use a "3/4 swing" if you are not playing well.

I try to take care with my setup so that I am not twisting in a weird way😊

Have fun!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.