Good brands of Citalopram

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just wondering what brands of citalopram everyone takes and if you have a preferred one over another.  I take citalopram made by Torrent from CVS pharmacy.  I'm considering using the name brand Celexa.   I have found that at least one of my refills of Torrent (April refill) was different in potency (less potent).   I found this out when restarting citalopram after being off of it for 8 weeks.  And yes, I'm positive it was a different potency than my current refill.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have had 2 diff types but cant compare as one was 20mg (Teva, yellow/white box) and other 10mg (Almus, brown box)
  • Edited

I've taken about 3 different ones so far over the past 7 months. I haven't noticed any difference between them. Currently taking the ones made by Mylan.

• Posted

Ellen,  That's good to know you haven't noticed a difference.  I'm on the sensitive side when it comes to medications and feel everything.   I think when I get more stable, I may switch to Mylan since it is American made versus my current brand of Torrent which is made in India.  Was thinking that is a long way for the medication to travel and possibly be compromised by heat and other conditions.   Plus the fact that my April refill was less potent than my current refill, has put me on alert.

• Edited

It's all in your head...trust me ..I'm sensitive to meds also ..and reading silly forums made my anxiety flare up about different brands ...there all the same potency ...with the exception of the coating..torrent was choice than mylan now I'm back to torrent...all the same... take care

• Edited

If it's 10 milligrams is ten milligrams and so on.if it's generic is generic...from India or the USA..is the same ..they don't loose long travel potency...

• Posted

Thanks so much, Lois.  I agree, a lot of it is all in my head.  Literally.

My own anxiety comes into play, I know that.   Also, glad to hear I'm not the only one sensitive to meds. 

• Posted

Lois, it may be in your head - however each manufacturer uses different fillers and coatings and they can make a huge difference.  If you will research this - you can see where the specific mfg is located and which ones are considered best.  I’ve had this issue for at least 30 years and proved it many times.  There can be physical side effects i.e. I had to peel the coating off so that I didn’t have breakouts on my face, or there can be just that the med doesn’t work the same and you feel very different.  This has especially been true of bupropion over the years.  As always you need to weigh the benefits vs the side effects.  I buy my 2 prescriptions at Costco and they are great about getting the specific mfg that I prefer.
    • Posted

I take different brands all the time and I have no issues ..Costco has the light pink ones and Walgreens has the darker pink ones and I have no issues two different manufacturers from two different countries...maybe your allergic to the fillers you personally..because my mom is also a celexa user and she has no problems from different manufacturers..
    • Posted

Lois I wouldn't say that. I am extremely sensitive drugs. Citalopram stops me from raging. Literally if I forget to take it I rage!!! With that said the Pharmacy switched my 40 mg Citalopram from 1 manufacturer to another when I refilled. It felt like I wasn't taking anything!!! I was on edge for 3 straight days until I went back to the Pharmacy, told them it wasn't working and they switched me back to the original brand. I will chime back in if I can find my notes on the name of the manufacturer which didn't work for me.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I don't know where you live (I'm in Canada) but is CVS an American pharmacy - not familiar with the UK other than Boots... I have read quite often that it is best to stick with the same brand but I'm no expert. This is my first time on an a/d. They have tried a couple of times at my pharmacy to give a different brand name at 30mg pills (my box says PharmaScience) and it only comes in 20mg.  I told them I want the exact same brand (I have never used anything other than the same packaged box) - they just give me an extra 15 and I cut them in half to get to the 30mg. Only because I have read that it can have a different reaction and it's the one thing I have control of - if only I was so smart to just have stayed on it.  I have nothing to compare but I do believe you if you say it is different, I mean how can two completely different companies use the exact same ingredients. I would say stay with the original but others may have better advice. Jo x

• Posted

Hi Jo, Yes, CVS is an American pharmacy.  I know all about sticking with the same brand as I've been taking

thyroid medication for years and the endocrinologists like us to stick with name brand.  I always check to make sure it's from the same manufacturer.  Also, it's been told that the generics are allowed a 20% difference in potency from the name brand.  

I'm also new with taking an anti-d and really learning a lot on this forum.  

Yah, hindsight is 20-20.  I went off the 20mg. citalopram after being on it 6 months.  After a slow taper and 8 weeks off, had to go back on.  Would like to find a good psychiatrist to manage the medication as my GP is not very thorough.  And I am not my own best doctor.

• Posted

I am not sure if brand names make any difference. Every time I go on them they seem to be a different brand. The main thing is the strength as I believe they all have the same key ingredient but check with your Doc
    • Posted

Thanks Standup, I agree, they all have the same ingredient.  It's the strength of each brand that may be variable.I have discussed this with my doctor.  She will request my insurance company to pay for name brand Celexa vs. citalopram, if I want her to. So I'm just waiting a bit on that.  Don't want to change anything right now....only 3 weeks in on 20mg.

• Posted

Good luck. Stick with it. Day 14 for me and starting to feel a bit better earlier in the day. Also supported with Diazepam for the tough mornings. Also recommended zopiclone to get a good nights sleep. Sounds like a cocktail of meds but anything to get through the first few weeks. Helps if u have friends u can talk to about it , even if it does feel like the same conversation over and over again !!! 
    • Posted

Yep im hanging in there. As per doctor I had to increase from 20. Its helping. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.