Good brands of Citalopram

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just wondering what brands of citalopram everyone takes and if you have a preferred one over another.  I take citalopram made by Torrent from CVS pharmacy.  I'm considering using the name brand Celexa.   I have found that at least one of my refills of Torrent (April refill) was different in potency (less potent).   I found this out when restarting citalopram after being off of it for 8 weeks.  And yes, I'm positive it was a different potency than my current refill.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

id expect that they cant vary it too much, Surely pharmacy grade?
    • Posted

I don't know what country your from.but under USA fda laws .it is against fda regulations to have a brand from a different company generic or brand to be a different potency...

• Posted

yep bound to be regulated, not sure if they can vary other ingredients (not the drug itself)

Im from UK

• Posted

Thank you everyone. Your helpful comments have been reassuring.  smile
  • Posted

Hi Laura.

This is not in your head. I have one brand only that has worked perfectly for me. They keep switching manufacturers. every other brand I've tried so far feels like I am not getting the good effects. My doctor's office tells me they've had a lot of calls about Citalopram lately from other patients as well. Keep trying other manufacturers, and please post if you do find a good brand.... And who filled it. I will do the same.

Good luck!

• Posted

I take different manufacturers a ll the time ..it's the law to have the same chemistry in the tablets...I guess everyone anxietys are different..

• Posted

I'm reading a lot of stuff like this that is not true: "it's the law to have the same chemistry in the tablets". This is a lie that insurance companies are successfully getting people to believe. Actually the pills can have 20% less of the active ingredient and the things in the drugs that help carry it to your body can be completely different and less effective. The brand name Celexa worked much much better for me than any of the generic citalopram I've been on. Even the side effects are much less severe with the generics. Not that I liked the side effects, but it's more proof that the drug isn't working well. The original Celexa made me yawn a lot and made it impossible to orgasm. With the generics I am still depressed, though not as bad, I don't yawn and I can orgasm. I have bipolar and used to have to cut back on my dosage in order to not become hypomanic, which for me is being extra happy, talkative and Robin-Williams-like funny, which I liked. Now I never ever feel anything close to hypomania and have had  a lot of suicidal ideation even while taking a full dose of the generics. 

• Posted

Everyone's reactions to generic brands or original brands of any medication work different for every one what might make you well might not make me well etc.etc.

• Posted

Hi Lois.  Even if the active ingredient is exactly the same, (which has always been my understanding as well), that does not mean the inactive ingredients, or formulation thereof, are equal.  therefore a person may not process it the same.  Here, we are not simply talking about 200 mg of ibuprofen vs 200 mg of Motrin.  These are SSRI's and more complex. I know when I am and am not doing with each brand.    I am so glad for you that you do not notice a difference between brands. smile smile   That would be my ultimate goal!!!!  That is also a good point that we do not all have the same effects, or side effeects, especially when we are taking it for varying diagnoses and symptoms.  Good luck to you!!

• Posted

I originally had a link in my comment to an article that explains what I'm saying well, but apparently that's against the rules. It's too bad, because without links to decent articles that actually have facts all we are left with are a bunch of opinions that may or may not be true. Google for yourself. Generics aren't always the same as brand name. And in Celexa's case they absolutely aren't. I'd prove it with a link or two but that's against the rules.

• Posted

I get hypomania from time to time but that's not my main sypmtom I need to manage. I picked up Torrent, filled at HyVee. Most seem to carry Torrent now. These one's are ok. They do not work the best or worst for me

compared to the others I've tried over the years. Still looking for that "twilight" well-being feeling I had with the citalopram from walmart in the past. They still carry that same brand but something changed. Don't work the same at all. Still searching. How are you doing with yours?

• Posted

Joe, I am so sorry to hear that. It is such a struggle finding the right medicine. Let me know if there's anything I can help with I've been taking the Citalopram off and on since 2002., with lots of ups and downs. I hope you feel better soon!😘

• Posted

Thanks.  I found a research article, that of course you have to pay for, but the abstract is free. If you do a google search for "Symptom relapse following switch from Celexa to generic citalopram: an anxiety disorders case series?" it should find it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.