Good luck Chico

Posted , 15 users are following.

Just wanted to say good luck to our group Guru, Chico in your operation tomorrow. And thanks for all the excellent advice you've given us all.

You will be able to finally finish your TKR rehab.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hope all goes well Chico. You have been such a help to me and all your advice has been much appreciated.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Chico

Missed that you were having surgery. Best wishes for an uncomplicated recovery!

Debbie

Ps my log in has changed, had to sign in again

• Posted

So here's the posterior view placement and securing of the device prior to expansion...

• Posted

It looks like an instrument of torture.  I hope it's not as horribly painful as it looks and we all wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Missed you were having back surgery.. Wow that looks an amazing bit oc kit.Hope you are recovering well .

BW

Jan

• Posted

And the same from me too!!!!  I meant to have said this last night but had connection problems so couldn't say anything at all to anyone!  Look forward to having you back on the group too Chico.

• Posted

Went to sleep...woke up.  Walking a few hours later with zero pain.  They slip it in, expand it, fill it with the bone graft and close.  You don't even know it's there...  Just more metal to get past the TSA at the airport.  See all three pix...above...

• Posted

I've only got one pic through Chico.  That's amazing how it's done with no pain too!  Is it a long recovery before you can do much?

• Posted

Restrictions:

- They don't want me to drive for two weeks...right...

- No twisting or lifting things for a while...at least two weeks.

- Wear my old fusion brace for the next two weeks.

- Deal with the post-op pain for a few days.

- Uh........

That's it.  They just want to make sure everything sets in place before resuming "normal" activity.  This is like miracle surgery...

• Posted

Yes.  Started in October, 8 months into my knee replacement rehab which went on hold.  Could not go to the gym with the back pain...hardly walk.  Should have been done earlier but the neurosurgeon needed a general surgeon to open me up from the side and get to the spine.  Had to wait until the two could coordinate schedules.
    • Posted

Thanks Chico.  I'm going to pass this on to a friend who is terrified about her spinal stenosis.  Her father had it and had a very unsuccessful op for it which left her in a real state about her own condition.

• Posted

Search YouTube for "Globus RISE-L"...cute little animation of the procedure.  And because they expand the spacer using a long Allen wrench, I told my surgeon that his new official Brooklyn Sicilian Wiseguy name will be: Tommy the Wrench!

• Posted

Good luck Chico!! I hope all goes well for you  lol

• Posted

They filled the space within the device with a bone graft from my hip.  Immediate pain relief without fusion, one-night hospital stay, zero rehab.  Just some post-op discomfort from them moving muscles around to get in there FROM THE SIDE, not the back.  Search YouTube for "Globus RISE-L" for a cute animation of how this was done.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.  Op yesterday at 10:30 am...home today at noon...  Easy peasy...

• Posted

WOW - full of admiration for the NHS!  Amazing.  Lovely to have you back:-)))
    • Posted

Search YOUTUBE not Google for the animation.  This was sooooo simple.  Saved a whole new fusion.  When you see the video you just wonder what goes through the minds of the people who invent this technology.  I'm just in awe...  All that pain gone in an instant.

This is what it looks like laterally after the expansion...  See?  No fusion required like below it.

• Posted

Ah just got this one.  It really is amazing.  We don't generally have a clue what's possible these days, until someone tells us, do we!

• Posted

It's little short of breathtaking!  I know this is going to reassure my friend so much!!!!  She's got her appointment on Easter Monday for her MRI and then the consultant a day later and the fact that there is such a wonderful treatment available is going to make all the difference in the world.  Thank you Chico!

• Posted

Wow! I think we should call you Metal Mickey now!

Glad it's all over, you will be able to finish your knee rehab.

Good to have you back!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Or the Million Dollar Man:-))))))  Chico, I told my friend about your op and she was SO relieved!  Having seen her father have a really bad experience with it all years back, and then a friend telling her she'd end up with her back seriously bent over (not sure where that came from) the information you gave me yesterday has lifted her spirits again and given her hope for when she sees the consultant just after Easter.  Thank you again!

• Posted

Not saying that it replaces all fusions...but in specific cases, it is quite an option to have available.  Post-op pain was at its worst last night after all the anesthesia wore off but it's much better this morning.  Looks like a winner...

• Posted

4 1/2 pounds so far with one knee to go (that's about another two). I really, really don't want any more spine work done by that's not up to me.  Up until 150 years ago, people didn't have spine problems because they were dead by 50.  Now, with current life expectancy in the 80's, we all have to remember that our spines have not evolved to last that long.  Simple biology.  But these new techniques can give us a long, full life even though some of those spinal components have to be replaced.  As the technology improves, so will the quality of life because it's going to take millennia of evolution for humans to develop longer-lasting backs naturally. 

• Posted

I'm so pleased for you, and for all the others with the same problem, who can now be helped!

• Posted

Just watched it absolutely amazing as as is your mental attitude to your journey. Take it easy for mow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.