Good news

Posted , 9 users are following.

Fir those who have responded to me over the last few months I have some good news ,

after yet another infection ,,,,,I attended pulmary rehab ,,,,again ,,,,and then continued  into the gym ,,,,as I have in the past,,,,and last Thursday knew I was back to being me ,,,,,( while still having COPD ) I managed ,,,2 Klm on the treadmill in 28 minutes and 3 Klm on the bike in 12 minutes and 3 Klm on the hand bike in 12 minutes ,,,,,,,the last time I was capable of doing anything like this was summer of 2013 ,,,,,,then ,,,,murph good feelinfpgs were confirmed when I had my annual copd review at the surgary ,,,,,my sats at rest were 94 oxygen ,,,,76 heart rate,,,,,my peak flow was 152 ,,,,and the general questions sleep ,,,,,,walking etc ,etc ,,,,had gone up 4 points ,,,and my lung capacity was 74 . ,,,,,Brilliant ,,,,,I've worked dam hard to get these numbers ,,,,and yes I've given myself a big pat on the back .

i can't tell you how good it is to be my old self again ,,,,,here's to a lovely summer,,,,,for me ,,,,and for everyone of you ,,,,,thanks for your support over the last few months ,,,,,I hope you will all feel as good as I do very soon ,

I will be working hard to keep my  good health and sats up ,best wishes everyone ,

4 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

" WOW!!..... Well done to you..you must have put a lot of time and energy into your exercising..your a true inspiration also you show that with a lot of hard work you can retain a lot your old self..thank you for shareing this with us..it as given me so much hope now...good luck to you..have a lovly and happy week....." 
  • Posted

Brilliant! Well done. It gives hope to all. Have a wonderful summer...you deserve it.
  • Posted

I feel so happy for you, Nanny1086 and can relate to your optimism. Last November my husband was so poorly with a chest infection that he had decided his number was up! (He didn't know it was a chest infection then, just he felt so ill that he convinced himself it was much worse!) Once he had had another X-ray which suggested that there was no deterioration and two lots of anti-biotics later, he pulled himself round. He now cycles 26 miles 6 days out of 7 on his exercise bike and walks for miles (round our home if the weather is bad!). He has dumbells also and does regular sit-ups.  I really would recommend ANYONE with copd gets an exercise bike so they can choose when to push themselves and when to take it easier - no-one watches so you don't get embarrassed when you are puffed out and then you take it to the next level! You are in control. We have just returned from a foreign holiday where we walked for miles (including STAIRS! - a definite no no, previously) Well done, Nanny1086 - keep sharing and helping others realise there is life outside copd!!
    • Posted

Wow, your hubby is doing great far better

than me haha,( if you don't mind me asking ,,,,what age is he ) ,,,? I ask as I'm 69 and was diagnosed in 1992. That's when I gave up the dreaded smoking ,,,thank god I did ,,,last year was a complete right off for me ,,,repeated chest infections ,,,,in fact ,,,I was beginning to think it was cancer,,,I think my consultant and food nurse thought the same ,,,so we were all relieved after a scan  last December showed  no sign of cancer .,,,,so last year I wasn't able to exersise at all ,I'm so greatful for the copd team and the NHS  for taking such wonderful care of me over the years ,,,and they are pleased to see the improvements I've made ,thankyou for your reply ,best wishes to your husband and yourself ,and good health to you both ,

• Posted

Please excuse spelling ,,,,it's predictive text ,,,,a blooming nuisance ,
    • Posted

Hi, he has just turned 61 and was supposedly diagnosed in 2010 - although the consultant forgot to tell him until 2 years ago, so he wasn't actually getting any treatment except the usual antibiotics from his GP when he had a chest infection (still no mention of COPD - it was a good job he was ok on earlier holidays as the insurance might not have paid out as we didn't mention it!) The exercise has certainly improved his quality of life - long may it continue! Best wishes to you, too!
    • Posted

Hi again ,yes exersise is the key definitely ,,,,it took me a while to realise that getting out of breath is ok ,haha,,,,,sadly we haven't been able to travel abroad for some years as my oxygen levels drop soooooo much on a plane ,even with continuous supplementary oxygen  ,,,,,and I'm afraid of water so cruise is out of the question ,,,,,,so we are now enjoying ,,,once again ,,the Beaty of home ,,,,I wish you nanny many years of wonderful holidays ,
  • Posted

How inspiring!  Maybe I should go back to rehab too ....
    • Posted

Hi ,I've been back to rehab many times after chest infections ,I'm lucky that they say yes come back to us ,but I always go into the gym twice a week when I've done the course ,,,,ask to go back then continue exersise in the gym etc after ,,,you'll feel the benefits, good luck ,
  • Posted

" Nanny1086... I am so inspired by your's and other's posts.... it makes me wish that i could exercise a lot more.... as my COPD is stage 4 fev1 is 27% i was diognosed last April..But i have one fixed hip that cant bend to sit on a bike chair..etc....let alone be able to peddle. i cant use a treamill as i have know balance only being able to use  the one leg....But what i am learning is ".Where there is a will there is a way"....thank you all for giveing me hope..."
    • Posted

Hi ,at pulmary rehab the exercises are not all mobility exercises ,,some are upper body exercises which expand your lungs ,any exersise/movement is better than nothing ,give it a go ,,,I wish you well ,
  • Posted

Very well done.

May God bless you and your continued good progress.

R x

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this with us Nanny 1086. I'm newly diagnosed and waiting to go on a rehab course which I hope will show me the best way to exercise.. I walk my dogs and keep as active as possible but it makes it all seem worthwhile when I hear about how much the exercise has helped you. Well done, you should be proud 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.