Good news for some people

Posted , 13 users are following.

This has been announced today from DWP. I copied and pasted it for you all to see.

New guidance coming into effect this summer means people who are awarded the highest level of support under PIP – and where their needs are expected to stay the same or increase – will receive an ongoing award of PIP with a light touch review every 10 years.

The change will ensure that those with severe or progressive conditions receive an award which reflects the fact that their condition will not improve.

The Minister for Disabled People, Health and Work, Sarah Newton, said:

We’re absolutely determined to ensure people get the right support that they need to live better, more comfortable lives.

PIP is a needs-based benefit that takes into consideration people’s individual, and sometimes quite complicated circumstances.

We’ve listened to feedback from organisations and the public, and this common-sense change will ensure that the right protections are in place while minimising any unnecessary stress or bureaucracy.

The government will be working with stakeholders to design the light touch review process so that it adds value for both our claimants and the department – for example, by providing information on services available and ensuring that contact or bank details have not changed.

We are still finalising details of the guidance and will publish it later this summer.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For all those who are wondering about other details for this and who will qualify under this rule. I have no idea. This is all that's been published about this at the moment.

• Posted

Hi I have already been awarded this on pip so not sure why it's new information

• Posted

Hi daz when you say you have been awarded it already do you mean you have been allocated PIP full on both parts for ten years and you have it in writing you want be reassessed?
  • Posted

Hi I was awarded pip enhanced on an on going award and will have a light touch review after 10 years in the article from dwp it states you will have a light touch review after 10 years and that's what it states on my award

• Posted

It could mean that more ppl will be awarded this I'm not sure

• Posted

That's exactly what it means. Yes, there are people with this length of award but very few have it. Ongoing means 10 years which is the maximum anyone can get with PIP.

This will be welcome news for so many people because it a lot of cases DWP are very mean with their length of awards. My PIP award has stated that i won't get any better twice, yet the max award i've had so far is 4 years with review at 3 years.

• Posted

Hi Denise like you I have just been awarded 4 years review in 3 the MD states that my condition will deteriate in the future will the news mean I could escape a review and get it 4 longer now or would I have to wait until I'm reassessed in 3 years?

• Posted

Hi,

No that's not what it means, you'll still be review exactly the same as always 1 year before. What it means is that more people will be giving the 10 year award, who will be giving it remains to be seen. I have no idea what the criteria is for this because it hasn't been announced.

• Posted

No problem. Yes, i know the feeling. However there's so many people that have been given the maximum award of Enhanced for both, yet there length of time is very short. My daughter for example, she got enhanced for both yet review in just 1 year. Ridiculous that they think a learning disability and autism could possibly improve redface

• Posted

that's great news , at last they've woke up lets hope they start to see people as individuals and not just numbers thanks for the info denise ,hope your feeling better

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I'm on enhanced for mobility and standard for living. Thanks

• Posted

I’m on the same as you Sharon I was awarded it in nov 17 for 5 years with a review in 4 ...just wondered if it would affect us xx
    • Posted

Hi Deborah Denise has just answered my question I'm sure you can see the reply we will have to wait for our next review and f2f assessment to find out anything I'm sure if Denise finds out anything else she will let us all know.

• Posted

I will indeed but as i said this 10 year award is only possible if you're given Enhanced rate for both parts.

• Posted

Hi Denise 

Hope your feeling better?, I was awarded enhanced in both for 10 year and HP said condition won’t improve and no review necessary although I do know that I will be reviewed in 9 year, how do you think this new guidance could affect people in my position?

• Posted

Hi Mick,

I'm getting there slowly, thanks. Hope you're well?

It won't affect you Mick because you already have the maximum ongoing award. You'll be reviewed in 9 years.

• Posted

Thanks Denise can I ask another unrelated question concerning ESA?

My mother used to be my Carer but because of her age and own health conditions she is now unable to do this, my Cousin has now taken the rains so to speak and because he is claiming JSA i advised him to claim Carers Allowance this he did and he does qualify because of the length of time he is with me and will start getting it on July 9th he’s JSA will drop from £73.10 to £44.50 a week

I am in support group of ESA and getting £110.75 a week please can you advise if and how my money will be affected and weather he will need to keep signing on at job centre once a fortnight

Sorry Denise I have just realised I should have opened a new thread

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.