Good news for some people

Posted , 13 users are following.

This has been announced today from DWP. I copied and pasted it for you all to see.

New guidance coming into effect this summer means people who are awarded the highest level of support under PIP – and where their needs are expected to stay the same or increase – will receive an ongoing award of PIP with a light touch review every 10 years.

The change will ensure that those with severe or progressive conditions receive an award which reflects the fact that their condition will not improve.

The Minister for Disabled People, Health and Work, Sarah Newton, said:

We’re absolutely determined to ensure people get the right support that they need to live better, more comfortable lives.

PIP is a needs-based benefit that takes into consideration people’s individual, and sometimes quite complicated circumstances.

We’ve listened to feedback from organisations and the public, and this common-sense change will ensure that the right protections are in place while minimising any unnecessary stress or bureaucracy.

The government will be working with stakeholders to design the light touch review process so that it adds value for both our claimants and the department – for example, by providing information on services available and ensuring that contact or bank details have not changed.

We are still finalising details of the guidance and will publish it later this summer.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Denise I really hope you are feeling better now. I have a question if you don’t mind....do you think this new change will effect active higher rate awards for mobility that were recently  given for 5 years. Thank you xx
    • Posted

Hi,

Not 100% but thanks for asking. Hope you're well.

This announcement doesn't change any existing awards. You will still be re-assessed as before. It simply means that more people will get the higher award but i have no idea what the criteria is for this 10 year award.

• Posted

Longer award that was meant to say and not higher...
    • Posted

Only those that are awarded Enhanced for both can get it for 10 years, after their next review is what it means.
    • Posted

Thank you very much Denise I’m putting it out of my mind for 4 years....but my conditions are certainly not going to improve but I’ve had a stressful 14 months to get the enhanced mobility if I didn’t have that I would never get out of the house .Thanks for your reply Denise and I hope you feel better very soon Take care xxx
  • Posted

Thank you Denise for putting this up for people. .hope your feeling wee bit better love xxx
  • Posted

Great for those who are awarded highest level of PIP.

What about those like me who have a condition that is not likely to change but do not get the highest level of PIP?

It is still difficult to get the highest level of PIP.

I have my face to face tomorrow and think it is unlikely I will get the highest level of PIP.

• Posted

Not everyone awarded the highest level of PIP will have this 10 year award length.

PIP is about how your condition affects you and all about those descriptors. You can't be award points if the descriptors don't apply to you. If they do apply to you then it's the claimant responsibility to make sure they provide the relevant evidence to support a claim.

If you're not awarded the highest level of PIP then you won't have any chance of the 10 year award length. This is because DWP think that your condition is likely to change at some point in the future, whether that's improvement or getting worse.

• Posted

Hi I was awarded enhanced rate care no mobility and was awarded ongoing award for 10 years and a light review after that
    • Posted

Hi,

That was your award and this what i've posted doesn't apply to you because you already have your 10 year award. These are the new rules to be announced this summer and it states it will be for those that could qualify would be given to those that have maximum award in both parts.

These news rules mean that those that continuously have extremely short awards could be given longer awards, if awarded maximum in both parts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.