Good results

Posted , 11 users are following.

Had PT yesterday, 7 days out from surgery and got good results went from 68 motion to 82 in 2 days walked with a cane instead of the Walker woke up this morning in so much pain I guess it's because I really overdid it yesterday with my physical therapist. Has anybody else experienced that just when you think it's safe to get out of the water pain comes rushing back sucks!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes, you cannot push too hard if you do it’s one step forward two back and it’s really is early days for you,remember it’s a marathon not a sprint hey but we’ve all done it mind,steady away Diane.
  • Posted

Hi Diane glad you got on so well at physio.I’m 6 weeks post op today.I thought I was doing so well that I started to go around house with no crutches (stopped walker couple weekks ago).I was limping badly but managed.Not very clever on my part.Knee and ankles swollen up and bad pain down my shin bone.

I think because I had read about other people seemed to be doing so much at my stage and I should be like them.

Basically everyone is different and you seem to be doing really well and physio can leave you with a lot of pain.Don’t get low things can change from day to day.Keep up the good work.

• Posted

Wow well done that’s brilliant  so happy for you, I still have to use a cane a year after my second knee was done, not down to knee that’s perfect but I had a fall and put three fractures in my spine and slipped two discs so now can’t walk without my stick!!

• Posted

Hi 

Physical therapy was tough and painful to me especially the next day. Your only 7 days post op take a pain pill before therapy it will help. Get better soon

• Posted

Exact same think happened to me weeks back, I ready to hang up walker and cane but that night while sleeping it all came back cramps and pain, 2 weeks of using walker and just started like I was improving but last night it all came back swollen knee and cramps, seems like when u are feeling a little bit  better they increase your exercise and you go backwards . I guess from all I hav heard this is the norm, we gotta get used to the bumpy road ahead, Good luck 
  • Posted

Yes......... it’s 4 days forward 2 back at times. 

I’m 5 weeks post op back at work on phased return (office job) not driving. Was down 3 weeks ago to cane. 2 days ago - boom. Had not used I’ve, cut down on pain killers thinking I could run before I could walk. Had to take oral morphine at night as pain so bad. Rest ice and back on 2 crutches for a little while. In reading everyone’s helpful comments on here it seems we are not alone. 

• Posted

Seven days?  Really?  That leaves you with 358 to go since a full recovery takes about a year.  Obviously you have some expectations that you need to reevaluate. This is the most brutal of all surgeries and the first 30 days or so are pure, absolute hell...period.

Start with this...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Click on my name and then "See All Discussions"...about 28 of them out there covering many, many topics.  You should find lots of answers already laid out for you.

Most of all...  Get rid of all your expectations and timetables.  Never compare your recovery to that of anyone else because we are all different.  The pain of the op for 30+ days will be very tough plus PT for the ROM work will take 10-12 weeks.  I went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123 in that time with PT @ 2X/week plus all the work at home.  Then comes the gym work to rebuild your dead quads, glutes and core, capped off by mastering stairs again.

The first 3 months are very tough.  By 6 months, you're back to work and rebuilding your strength.  Most people start to feel more like their old selves at nine months and then throw themselves a one-year anniversary party since virtually all the really bad stuff has been over for a while.  Some stiffness, tightness, clunking sounds, etc. may persist for 12-18 months...nerve tingling when you kneel down can last for years.  

If no one prepared you for this, it's time to face reality.  This is a TKR recovery and it's not pretty.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus...all part of the game.  Hang this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

The good thing is that you're not alone...we're all here to help.  I'll be two years in a month...

• Posted

Yep! That's TKR for you.

One day you're up, on top of everything, the next you can't move for pain.

Do a little too much & you pay in pain! Pull back a bit, do less, rest, ice & elevate.

Unfortunately physiotherapists, who have not had TKR, do not understand what pushing you does in terms of pain! They may know all about the relevant muscle groups etc but they haven't experienced it for themselves!

I've Been there, done that, gonna write the book!! I was told to push through the pain & ended up in pain throughout the night, for 2 nights!! Swallowing painkillers like sweets!!

7 days po is nothing! You have only just had major surgery, everything is stitched together & pushing too hard isn't wise! You are still experiencing pain from the actual operation! If you watch the op on YouTube you will understand!

Do some healing 1st! Once you're stronger, you will be able to bend better, even more so once the swelling starts to go down.

Keep in touch

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Yes I think we’ve all been there.

Take it easy and don’t push it until you’re in pain just until it feels uncomfortable .. you’ll get there at your own pace 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.