Got MRI scan on Friday

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have a 11 cm cyst on my right ovary which has a solid part. I was told I had this cyst at start of January which I then had a CT scan which showed the solid part so my consultant had to speak to the cancer team at a diffrent hosptail. 

I have had all bloods for tumor markers and they are all back normal. 

My consultant has said it's very unlikely to be cancerous plus all my bloods are normal but they want an MRI on my pelvis and tummy which is on Friday which I'm super nervous about! If this MRI comes back clear I will be having keyhole surgary on the 26th to removed cyst but if anything shows up or they are uncertain still then they will take it back to the cancer team which means I'll have open surgary at some point. 

I'm only 23 years old and I'm super scared! I've been told there will be a certain consultant at my MRI - anyone had this?? 

So so scared! I really need the op on 26th as I suffer from a few diffrent mental health illnesses and all this has made it worse and plus my support worker from the mental health team is suppose to be supporting me day of the op. 

I had my pre op on Friday just gone and he came with me (support worker) I'll be staying in hosptail over night and my support worker will take me in on day of op, stay with me until I go to threate and be there when I wake up and he said he will come next day.  But despite his support for the day and even now I'm still so scared! It doesn't help that if my MRI isn't clear means not having an op on 26th but after that week my support worker Is off but should be only 2 weeks and I won't be able to go through the op without him. 

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don’t be nervous about the MRI at all. I have had several and they are no big deal, very straight forward. Just think of it as a big X-ray smile

I worried so much before my surgery about the actual surgery itself and in hindsight that was the easy part! It’s the recovery I found the hardest when I went home. I would focus on that and make sure you have support for the first week you are home as it is hard to get up out of bed on your own (based on open surgery)

• Posted

I'm just worried what they might find. Even though all my tumor markers are normal ect. 

And they want a spefic consultant there when I have the scan 

• Posted

Hi Holly 

I can understand you being scared I've had the worst week ever worry wise but am getting on top of it all now. 

I'm not medically trained so can't teally advise you but I can try & reassure you x

Have they said it's a dermoid cyst?! I've looked into these a lot & they're very rarely cancerous especially at your young age & the bloods etc you've had seem clear so far, maybe they're just being cautious until your scan. 

Have you had an MRI before? I can assure you it's absolutely fine & nothing to worry about at all I've had one done very recently & sat in on someone else's who was worried  about it. Don't let the fact it's closed in worry you as because they're only looking at your pelvic area your head will be out in the open & not closed in at all. It's a little bit noisy but they give your headphones with music, I can honestly say I nearly fell asleep! 

I can understand you worrying though it's all a bit daunting, I'm a lot older than you & it's knocked me too this week x

Is there no one else that can be with you if your support worker is unavailable?! 

Everyone's said to me to keep calm & although it's hard you must try to x

Keep positive & keep me posted x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! 

From the start they said a simple cyst from my ultra sound and then ct scan showed this solid part. 

What is a dermoid cyst? I think they are covering all basis. 

Yeah I've had a MRI scan before and that was on my head which was pretty scary! 

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure my support worker will be able to come-

Going to ask him Tuesday. 

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi xx

Well if you've already had a scan on your head this one will be a breeze! 

I'm sure they're just being thorough & looking into everything properly for you x

I'm copying & pasting this part about your cyst just from what I've researched this week x....

'A dermoid cyst is a teratoma of a cystic nature that contains an array of developmentally mature, solid tissues. It frequently consists of skin, hair follicles, and sweat glands, while other commonly found components include clumps of long hair, pockets of sebum, blood, fat, bone, nails, teeth, eyes, cartilage, and thyroid tissue.

As dermoid cysts grow slowly and contain mature tissue, this type of cystic teratoma is nearly always benign.'

...It sounds horrible doesn't it but the main part is from everything I've read ( & I've read a lot this week lol) they are usually nothing to worry about at all but obviously your Dr's are as they should be covering everything x

This group has really helped me & I hope it has you too x

Fingers crossed you'll have all the support you need Holly xx

• Posted

What way would I go in for MRI on pelvis and tummy? 

Is a dermoid cyst solid?? As on my ct scan my cyst is make up of fluid but has a solid part to it. 

This group has been so helpful for me too! 

Thank you. It's just makes it harder as I have mental health issues on top!

• Posted

Do you think I should ask my support worker to come to scan with me? Or would I just look silly not being able to go too a scan by myself? X
    • Posted

You might get this twice I thought I'd done it but it's not showing up....

I don't think you'd look silly one of my friends is coming with me but not actual when I have my scan done just so I've got some company x

I'm sure you'd be fine on your own though I went on my own last time xx

• Posted

I'm pretty sure you'll go in feet first x

From what I can make out dermoid cysts are formed of fluids & solids but I'm not medically trained x

It must be difficult for you dealing with everything else too x

I'm glad you're finding this all helpful, we'll get through it together! 😉 xx

• Posted

I'm worried as there will be a certain consultant there when I have scan and I haven't been told why x

• Posted

I know that not all of my cyst is fluid based as they have said there is a solid part. I'm so worried it's cancer, I know I'm only 23 and all my bloods for tumor markers have came back within normal range which is good! 

I need my MRI to come back clear so my op goes ahead on 26th asthe week after my support worker is off for a bit. 

Thank you 

• Posted

I don't know why they've told you that 

I know sometimes it's best not to but I've Googled it I can't find much apart from......

'After the MRI scan, the Consultant Radiologist will study your scan images and send a report to your doctor who referred you for the scan.'

I'm sure you'd be ok to give them a call & ask why if you're worried  most professionals would want to put your mind at rest x

Honestly try not to worry  I know that's really easy to say though x

• Posted

It's a good sign everything's come back clear so far try not to think the worst cysts are very common 

Is there no one else that can go if your support worker isn't available?! x

• Posted

...& the solid part could well be the makings of a dermoid cysts which are very rarely cancerous especially in young women xx

• Posted

My consultant surgeon has said it's very unlikely to be cancer and all my bloods are normal which is good. He said he just needs to cover all basis. 

Sadly not, as that's the only person I trust enough to be with me. As he knows me very well and knows how to calm me down. 

• Posted

I was firstly Told that my cyst was simple. But now from ct jt has a solid part.

So I'm guessing MRI scan will tell me what that solid part is made of?  X

• Posted

If your consultant has said it's unlikely I'd be pretty positive about it 👍🏻

If they're going to operate they just need to scan you so they know exactly what they're dealing with, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine xx

How long is your support worker away for?! x

• Posted

Sorry I don't think my messages were sending properly last night!? 

I'm no expert but yes I imagine the scan will give more detail & from what I've researched dermoid cysts ( if that's what it is) contain bone, teeth etc that could be what the solid part is x

• Posted

That's true. He said it's very unlikely plus all bloods are normal. When I saw him with my sister he said to my sister that if it was someone in his family with the cyst and had my results he would be resured by jt all- which is good. And when I spoke to consultant last Monday after he had spoken to cancer team I asked what he thought and he said him saying very unlikely when I saw him to last Monday that hasn't changed , he still thinks the same. (If that makes any sense) 

He should only be away for two weeks but that's not 10% certain right now. I am hoping if they don't go ahead next week that they might wait until he is back. X

• Posted

No your messages are showing. 

Oh right. - it's just the solid part they need to find out what it's made up of as that depends on the type of op they do. Ether key hole if MRI clear but if anything comes up or they notnsure it will go back to cancer team and be open surgary to take it all out whole as if they do keyhole they will pop the cyst 

• Posted

That all makes sense & sounds pretty positive too 🙂

I think from what I can make out  it'll be fine to wait a bit longer til you have it done especially if you'll feel happier having your support worker with you, they'll want you to feel more at ease with everything x

Another day nearer for both of us eh, sounds strange but I just want it sorted now! xx

• Posted

Ok good I don't think I pressed 'send' yesterday 🤦🏻??? Lol 

That all makes sense & similar to what my consultant told me I hadn't thought about them popping it I was wondering how they removed it doing keyhole surgery! xx

• Posted

But surely if my MRI doesn't come back clear and he has to go back to cancer team I doubt he would want to wait a few weeks to do open surgary? 

I was thinking if they can't do it a week today as MRI isn't clear I was thinking of asking consultant for a rough date which I can tell my support worker before he goes on leave so he knows when he comes back the rough date if that makes sense? 

I'm worry is that if he has to go back to cancer team that once he has spoken to them my worry is that they won't be happy to wait until support worker is back. I wouldn't be able to cope with support worker there. 

When do you find out about things? Xx 

• Posted

For them to pop is by doing keyhole they need to be 100% certain it's just a cyst. If they can't be 100% sure it's not cancer from MRI then it will be open to take it out whole. X

• Posted

That all makes sense I can understand your concerns it's the not knowing bit that's the worst isn't it!

I'm sure you'll be fine & from what you'be said your consultant is just covering all bases he sounds very confident with your results too xx

It's a tough one but you must try not to stress too much until you get your results back & then work out the best plan of action then xx

I've got my next scan tomorrow, results on Wed's then I'll hear what they're going to do next x

Keep positive xxx

• Posted

Thanks! Keep me updated with yours xx
    • Posted

Hi Holly 

Had my MRI & blood results back all ok & planning surgery for a couple of months time, mine have solid parts too & they're clear so all positive so far x

Everything crossed for you tomorrow I'm sure you'll be fine xx

• Posted

Hi Amber, 

That's really good it's all came back all ok! How big is your cyst again ?  How old are you? 

Did you have tumor markers blood tests? And routine bloods? 

Thank you! My support worker is coming with me tomorrow as I just couldn't do it alone. I'm so worried about what the results will be from the MRI scan as it's fluid cyst and has a solid part. 

This may seem weird but my cyst

Is on my right side but I have been getting pain on my left side on my back- is this normal do

You think? Surely the pain would be only on right side? 

Xx

• Posted

I'm 49 & my cyst is around  8cms ( with 2 smaller ones inside it) 

( this is beginning to  sounds like cysts annonymous"!! Lol 

I'm not sure what blood tests I had to be honest but I know that they were checking to see if they were cancerous & my gynocologist was very happy with my results x

I think what you're feeling is referred pain & it's not uncommon to feel pain elsewhere, stress doesn't help either, I've had all sorts of pains & twinges this week all of which seem better today! 

Mine is solid & fine I have everything crossed for you for tomorrow what time's your scan?! xxx

• Posted

Why is your surgary not booked for sooner?? 

Ohh right that sounds like that they done the tumor markers ones as they are the ones for cancer- I had them done and mine were normal. 

What is referred pain? 

Oh that's good that it's normal! I was getting worried about all this pain else where. 

Is yours just solid? 

Thank you! My scan is at 10.45 and then will get a phone call about results as I need to know tomorrow if they going ahead Monday xx

• Posted

Referred pain is when you get a pain somewhere else to the main pain I'm not sure why I think it's something to do with nerve endings x

Yes she said mines just solid but not entirely sure what's in it!

We've got a holiday booked & rather than risk not recovering in time she said to go, enjoy & have it done when we get back x

My cysts have probably been there for years I was completely unaware of them til I had a scan for something else which showed them up.

Let me know how you get on tomorrow I really hope all turns out ok I'm sure it will x

Take care & Good Luck xx

• Posted

Ohh right that makes sense. 

Thank you I'll let you know x 

• Posted

Hi , my scan went ok, I don't know results - they have cancelled my op for Monday as something about an emergency so it's not towards end of march but sadly the date they have given me which still needs to be checked is when my support worker is off work - do you think if I called them and explain that they would change it?? X 

• Posted

Glad all went well :-)

It's a shame they've cancelled Monday but also good as they can't be overly worried!? 

I always think it doesn't hurt to ask-what's the worst they can say!? 

Do you know when your support worker's  due back?! 

Try to relax & enjoy the weekend you've had a long week! 

Take care & keep me posted xx

• Posted

They hadn't had my results from MRI when they cancelled so I still don't know what they are. 

Worst thing they could say is no but at least I've asked. He is away from the 19th march to the 2nd April. 

I'll call the hosptail next week and ask, I don't see why they would have an issue with it anyway. 

Thank you! How are you doing? Xx

• Posted

Exactly it's always with asking x

My Gynocologist has worked  around my holiday to do my op now she's ok with my results & if you can change it to early April it won't be much difference time wise anyway, fingers crossed x

I'm doing ok & feel much better about everything now thank you, what a week! 

You're one step nearer getting sorted too, keep positive xx

• Posted

I'll ask next week and see what they say. I just hope they agree to change it for me.  I just don't see how it would be an issue... I'll speak to my support worker Tuesday and see what he says and then call them. 

I had MRI yesterday so I'm guessing if cancer showed up on my scan they would of contacted me by now?? 

I'm so glad your feeling better! 

• Posted

Thank you xx

I do feel so much better, as I'm sure you will next week :-) the worrying & not knowing is the worst part!

I'm not sure about results etc but I do think if they were overly worried they'd be prioritising you & they don't appear to be, keep thinking positively I'm sure it will all work out fine 😊 xx

• Posted

Hey, 

I spoke to hosptail today and they are happy to change my operation date to when my support worker is back so she will speak to my consultant and try and get a date, then she followed to ask me if he had called me with my results and I said no so she going to remind him to call me regarding my results so I'm still waiting 

How are you? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.