Got my Ears Syringed

Posted , 8 users are following.

I got my ears syringed about a month-and-a-half ago and ever since I've been feeling a swaying or off-balance kind of feeling my ENT prescribed me steroids which made it worse and then Topamax which also made it worse I constantly feel nauseous off balance as well as vomiting in the morning but the nausea is all day as well as the off-balance swaying motion..Please help.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all..who did your ears???  Don't do that again. They probably dislodged your ear crystals and now you have BPPV. Go to an ENT for an Epley maneuver.

• Posted

Roseville Urgent Care. Is it normal to be unsteady for a month and a half though for BPPV?
    • Posted

Yes....when  I had my first episode of BPPV it wasn't diagnosed for 6 weeks and I was dizzy the whole time.

• Posted

What type issues were you having that led you to have your ears cleaned?
    • Posted

The ear wax was completely covering my ear drum so I had them cleaned cause the doctor suggested it..Im so stupid sad
    • Posted

I have seen others post this issue causing these symptoms as well.  Absent of issues prior to the cleaning it would appear that it contributed to causing symptoms.  It could be the way your head was manipulated that caused an issue with the inner ear canals.  I assume that the ENT confirmed that all the wax was removed and there is no swelling of the ear canal.  
    • Posted

Right he just put me on steroids and topamax which made everything worse. I took the steroids then on the last day of the steroid I took the topamax and felt heavy ehaded, more dizzy like intense and vomited..so I have and appointment who is gonna check and do an ENG test on January 2..so far away..
    • Posted

The ENG will detect any inner ear damage you may have but, they should also test for BPPV.  BPPV is fairly easy to correct and would seem like a more likely issue since it happened just after the cleaning.  Do you experience neck issues as well?
    • Posted

I have two pinched nerves only hurting when I lift heavy items for 15 minutes or more and I have scoliosis as well. Also With BPPV it is relates to all my symptoms? I dont mean to bug ya about it again Im just nervous.
    • Posted

You're not bugging.  Yes BPPV can cause the issues that you noted.  The medication that you were taking can add to those symptoms as well.  A lot of people find that issues related to the neck can contribute to the issues and especially if the neck is manipulated while performing certain types of procedures.  Not sure how your doctor may have manipulated your head while they were irrigating them.  Part of an ENG is usually what is called a Caloric test.  If they perform a caloric test they will irrigate the ears with warm and cold water or with warm and cold air.  Just want you to be aware of that.  A test called the Dix-Hallpike maneuver is used to test for BPPV.  BPPV is usually corrrected with a procedure called an Epley maneuver.

• Posted

I appreciate your feedback it really helps and as far as the ENG test is it gonna give me the same spinning. Sensation the irrigation did?
    • Posted

Only if they do the Caloric test.  The ENG is pretty simple.  It involves tracking eye movement and testing balance when exposed to environmental type issues.  You will be in a harness for that so you won't fall.     

• Posted

Oh okay and then I also wanted to make note that I have had migraines for the past two years but ever since this happend have head headaches almost everyday as well. And I heard theres a thing they strap you in and flip you upside down what is that exactly?
    • Posted

The migraines may be more your issue.  That would be why the ENT gave you the Topamax.  Not sure about what they strap you in and turn you upside down.  Never had that as a test.  I did have an ENG and the Caloric.
    • Posted

For the most part, yes.  I am recovered to what I consider about 90%.  My issues began with sudden onset vertigo followed by months of feeling off balance and increased tinnitus.  My left ear also had a feeling of fullness.  My vision would bounce when I would walk and I could not lay down flat without feeling as if I was falling.  I had a very spacious feeling when in large places, especially outdoors and in large store type settings.  I had issues with differing levels of light, like when you are inside looking out a window to a bright sunny day or if looking through a window that had any type shades or shutters to cause a difference in light intensity.  I had regular headaches and my neck and shoulders hurt fairly regularly.  A lot of nausea and feelings of de-realization.  I could not carry on a one on one conversation while standing or while looking side to side and I could not focus or remember things.

You name it and I pretty much experienced it at one time or another. 

• Posted

you said the exact symptoms i have. Do you have any other health issues  like digestion/gastritis/ gallbladder issues or frequent cold/sinus problems?
    • Posted

I do have sinus issues fairly regularly.  No other issues of any significance.  I was told that I do have gallstones when they did an ultrasound when all of this first happened.  I have no gallbladder symptoms and a surgeon told me that most people have stones and usually only find that out when they have some other non-related test for another issue.
    • Posted

Hi Terry, thanks for your quick response. I have the same symptoms as yours. I was initially diagnosed with gastritis  in 2007 and then later they said my gall bladder not working in 2011 thats where the pain started on the right side below rib cage..and i started getting dizziness symptoms. In 2017, i was diagnosed with gallstones. my b12 in 2011 was so low they mentioned it may caused nerve degeneration. The dizziness was severe when i experience more indigestion issues and less if my digestion is good. So i feel the dizziness we get is something to do with the overall wellness or  because of the gallbladder. Majority of the folks i see in this forum with dizziness has some other issues associated with it. example either they have removed the gall bladder  or gallstones , or they have gastritis or Indigestion issues. I'm only 36 years old  male with normal BMI and going through this for past 7 years. Can you please let me know your age and when these symptoms started for you? Also did you remove your gallbladder ?  Do you feel tingling in both of your feet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.