Gout

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 23 year old and I had my fist gout attack in my big toe 2 month ago, I then had my second attack a month after that but it hasn't gone away yet. I have suffered with the pain now for four weeks and it's started to get more painful and I can barely walk now. I'm choosing to walk on the outside of my foot which makes me look a bit strange but eases the pain slightly. But i am worried that I will get used to walking like this... Is there anything I can do to help? I have been taking ibuprofen to help but can't seem to shift it. Many thanks smile

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Celery seed tablets and try juice, it's the only cure I've found works and believe me ivied tied eryuhing
  • Posted

Stupid predictive txt, celery seed capsular and cherry juice
  • Posted

Hi Lip91.

Don't use anti inflammatories such as Naproxin as coninual use will rip ya stomach lining to shreds. Been there done that!!! I have suffered from gout for maybe 20 years and tried all the non prescribed solutions. Even gave up pork n red wine - all to no avail. Then my GP put me on allopurinol 300 mg. Not an attack since. Marvellous stuff.

• Posted

Some who take allopurinol say it is great with no problem, about half say they get bad side effects.
  • Posted

Hi

Go back to your GP and insist on a blood test that covers Uric acid, kidney and liver functions

If the Uric acid is high then this is a gout attack. Even if it isn't gout you should still be referred to a Rheumatologist

If it is gout insist on Colchicine and Indomethecine and Allupurinol whilst you wait to see an expert. Also take Vitamin C and contentrated Cherry juice

Good luck

Thanks

• Posted

Just had an attack been prescribed naproxen. Don't start taking allopurinol until the attack has finished.  Just drink loads of water, eat cherries, try cherry concentrate expensive but worth it  also you can drink celery tea
  • Posted

Go to a doctor and get medicine for gout. Learn the diet you should be on. There are also factors like genetics and meds. you may be on. Google gout diet chart. Stay away from caffine, sodas, shell fish, beef and pork. I know it's not easy at frist, but you will like the pain relief. You need to make you body more alkaline Vs. acidic. Lemon in water overnight helped me. 64 oz of water in a pitcher or bottle with a lemon sliced into eight pieces on set over night then drink a glass or two/ day. Cherry juice is helpful also. I've been using dried cherries also. Check out the list of fruits and Vegetables, and use them your body will heal itself with the proper nutrition. But seriously see your doctor before you have more serious complications, like joint damage, kidney, or liver problems etc. I also avoid any 

High Fructose Corn Syrup, its in more foods than you think like catsup, read the lables you'll be suprised. Good Luck don't take this lightly the pain gets worse as you get older, but your doctor can help you have a normal life - pain free.

• Posted

Nice one always good to hear everyone's opinions and helpful tips. I also knock caffeine on the head but can give headaches 
    • Posted

I agre with all you say but worrying about one teaspoon of ketchup or one bite here and there of an acid food is carrying it too far. Even the naturopaths and doctors who write books about the alkaline diet say the important thing is that most of your food is alkaline, not all of it. And that when you eat something acidic to make sure you eat something alkaline with it.
    • Posted

Sorry if I was unclear about the Ketchup, I didn't say it was acidic just that it contained High Fructose Corn Syrup as do many foods and drinks like fruit juices and sodas. And by no means that you shouldn't use Ketchup, just that when reading labels you will find HFCS in many more things than one would think. That's what I found out any way. 

By the way my blood results came back today and from Not Eating Meats, Shellfish, Soda, & Fruit Juices Plus eating alkaline Vegetables and Fruits and taking the Allopurinol and lots of cherry juice and dried cherrys,

the uric acid count came down from 14.34 to 4. And I did cheat and have 3 or 4 oz of chicken in salads three meals and pepperoni on pizza 4 times in the 4 weeks. So I'm not perfect with my diet, but the doctor thinks I still need to do the Allopurinol for now. But today I'm pain free of gout, Thank God. Best of luck.

• Posted

Um isn't lemonade ACID? I had to stop drinking my daily lemonade. It exacerbated my attacks.
    • Posted

My fitness instructor said it turns alkaline when ingested.  I didnt believe her.  Many say the same.
    • Posted

Hi Timothy, in regard to what you had posted. You should be careful what you do post because in regard to the lemon that is the biggest trigger for my gout as well as any citrus or tomato. I have no problem with alcohol, shellfish, or redmeats but just looking at a lemon makes me cringe now.

• Posted

Hi Kristina, lemons are the biggest trigger for my gout since i've stayed away from them i've been gout free.

• Posted

I feel for you having this condition at such a young age.

Gout is a 4 stage illness. You are at stage 2 having attacks like this, you can maintain yourself at this stage with diet and suppliments.

Diet is everything, have a look here https://patient.info/health/gout-diet-sheet ; for a starter, but google as much as you can, there is a lot of information out there. It is pretty suprising just what foods are high in Purines.

I have had gout for 6 years and have had some major attacks that have left me unable to walk. It's a very painfull thing to live with so maintaining yourself is very worth it.

Cherry active is a great product that I used for 4 years

But I have recently found something that suits me better. Celery 6000

It is the only thing I have come across that is just for lowering levels of Uric acid in the body.

Hydration is very important, make it your daily routine to drink plenty of water. As a rule of thumb, keep an eye on the colour of you wee. If it is dark you are dehydrated, try and keep enough water on board so your wee is light or even better, clear. You can also see if you are dehydrated by sticking your finger up your nose. If the mucus membrain inside your nose is dry you need water.

There is medication (Allopurinol) that you can take long term. I've heard plenty of people say it is good. I prefere a more natural approach myself though.

Be more persistent with your doctor, if your not happy ask to see someone else. Don't worry about upsetting anyone, it's your body and your pain you are dealing with so you need to get on top of this.

Hope this is of some help.....

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed two links as they were unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Nice read, I agree Chompychops, I like the celery I've done my share also. Don't have any proof but I've used Alfalfa Leaf and PhGreens to make myself more alkaline and alkaline water and tart cherry juice. If one or all helped or any combination it is worth getting rid of the pain. 4 weeks ago uric acid count was 14.34 today it was 4. And I was on Allopurinol the whole time also. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.