Gout

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 23 year old and I had my fist gout attack in my big toe 2 month ago, I then had my second attack a month after that but it hasn't gone away yet. I have suffered with the pain now for four weeks and it's started to get more painful and I can barely walk now. I'm choosing to walk on the outside of my foot which makes me look a bit strange but eases the pain slightly. But i am worried that I will get used to walking like this... Is there anything I can do to help? I have been taking ibuprofen to help but can't seem to shift it. Many thanks smile

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Lip91. First you need to rest that foot until you feel better. The more you walk on it the worse it will get. You have to literally rest in the bed and elevated your foot.Drink half of you weight in water everyday moving forward. This helps your kidneys push out your uric acid buildup. You should consult your doctor. Also you should review what you are eating. Gout is mainly diet driven. 

I'm not a doctor but I have had this problem for years and with much research and pain, I'm coming to the end of this painful experience. There is more to gout treatment then what I shared. But what shared should help. Also start to eat less a half of pound of cherries a day. I think you are on your way. 

• Posted

Drink half of your weight in water every day ?. That would probably kill you withing a week. 
  • Posted

I want to tell you that not one of our bodies is the same nor are the causes of why we have health problems.  You need to do research and try everything, first cherry concentrate.  Try to get the organic if you can, the rest is okay but with organic you shouldn't get the pesticides.  Gout is caused from too much uric acid in your stomach because your stomach (GUT) isn't balanced.  What happens is the acid gets filtered through your gallbladder, liver and kidneys.  The kidney can't process too much uric acid so it dumps it into the blood which results in pain in joints; usually the first joint is the big toe and moves up from there.  If you aren't concerned with the side effects then try medicines which will stop the attacks but will ultimately harm your organs in the long run.   Remember that your body needs balanced nutrition and when it isn't the body starts breaking down.  A good nutrient suppliment and probiotic (refrigerated only) will start to balance your gut and slowly get you back on track.  Remember this is your body and your life so you decide.
    • Posted

Nice write up Ms Lisa. Suggary foods turn to acid. Sugar is not a food there is no protien in it. We all have to eat more vegetables and fruits. Cut back on meats ( portion sizes ) if you cant stay away from meat. I usually have some chicken and still stay alkaline. Fatty meats and gravy are out. Try alkaline water and drink lots of water too. You can make your own alkaline water by cutting a lemon into 1/8's and putting the 8 slices into a jug 64 oz.jug of water and let it sit overnight. You don't squeez the lemon slices, just put them into the water. Drink a glass the next day. Cut back on salt also helps lose weight. Exercise some just a walk will help if you can. I try to get at least 3 fruits a day and 3 vegetables a day more most days. It is much easier to gain weight than lose. I took 6 weeks before I started to lose a couple of pounds but my neighbor kept telling me to stick with it and now I,m down 10 lbs. and still hoping to go another 25 lbs. Instead of second helpings I snack 3-4 times a day ( an apple, bannana, fruit cup, carrots, cellery, or cauleflour ) eat what you like the vegetables will grow on you as you lose weight. And your tastes will change making the fruits and vegetables more desired.
  • Posted

With gout that bad, I would go see the Doctor. Also look at your diet, cut down on sugary foods if you can. I know it is hard, but at least lessen the intake and less acid foods. Eat more alkaline foods like spinache.
  • Posted

Urate Crystals from certain foods build up in the joints causing inflamation and intense pain.  Usually the big toes.  I suppose because of gravity.  Drink lots of water to flush your system.  Cut way down on Protein  - meat, especially organ meats, turkey, esparagus and also broths, etc) while having the attack.  
  • Posted

So sorry Lip91.  The pain is the build up of Urate crydstals in the joints.  For some reason, the kidneys are unable to process out uric acid that comes from Purine in foods. The Gout seems to like my big toes too!  Any way, to get it under control, I have followed the Gout Diet as suggested by The Arthritis Foundation     

While having a Gout attack avoid the following foods and drink lots of water every day (8 glasses) to help your kidneys flush out the urate crystals…..

Food that contains High Purine content 150 - 1000 mg:

Liver, sweetbreads, brains, heart, gravies, broths, sardines, herring, mussels, fish roe, anchovies, kidney, beer.

Foods that have Moderate Purine content 50-150mg, Doctors suggest limiting the following to one serving a day:

Beans, mushrooms, yeast, whole grain cereals, cauliflower, spinach, beans, lentils, asparagus, peas, Meats, Fowl, fish (apart from noted above) and other sea foods.

Foods with insignificant amounts of Purine:

Fruits, nuts, refined cereal, cereal products, all vegetables not noted above, eggs, cheese. butter and fats (in moderation) milk, sugar (sugar does raise inflammation within the body), sweets, nuts, clear vegetable soups, condiments and spices which include vinegar and salt.

• Posted

I'm late coming into this discussion

How is everyone getting on since the discussion?

I have a found the Paleo diet to work best, essentially cutting out wheat and sugar. It may seem to go against all advice due to meat content.

The key is clean eating with 50% of the dish being veg, even spinach.

No fried food

Ultimately eating like our ancestors 100000 years ago, they didn't experience gout!

Unfortunately I'm sat her with a gout attack due to falling off the wagon during the Christmas period beer, cold cut meats, salmon on bread, red wine.

I also find my gout attacks an injury and more likely if I'm stressed.

Would love to hear what has worked during the last 12 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.