GP reduced levothyroxine dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just over a week ago my GP told me I was taking too much levothyroxine and reduced dose from 100 to 75mcg.  This coincided with course of antibiotics (Trimethoprim) for suspected UTI although no infection detected from lab tests.

I have been feeling so weak, shaky, hot, have no energy and can hardly get out of bed.  I also feel 'spaced out' as if I'm not really here.  Could the reduced dose have such an effect so quickly?  

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear libbyt

I am unsure .

Have you had trimethoprim before.

Has your heart rate increased at all?

• Posted

Hello jean

No I've not had that antibiotic before. 

My heart rate is always high, has been investigated but no problem.

Hate feeling so unwell and unable to function properly. Even overbalanced and fell over.  Makes me worry there's something else going on that's making me feel like this

• Posted

Hi Libby

my suggestion would be if you are feeling so unwell go back to your GP and let him/her know how you are feeling. It's your body and you know when you are not feeling right. Hopefully a further blood test will be done plus you temp, pulse, heart rate etc to check if your reduced dose is affecting you. Also do not take your levo and antibiotics together. Wishing you better 

• Posted

Hi Gizmo1963 Thanks for your reply & advice.

Antibiotics finished last Wednesday so hopefully they should be out of my system by now.  I will go back to GP if things don't improve, trouble is I don't know if feelings caused by problems with thyroid, venlafaxine for depression/anxiety or hormonal as I still have hot flushes & night sweats although went through menopause years ago (I'm in my late 50s)

• Posted

Hi Libby

I can completely understand how you are feeling. I too am post menopausal but have a host of hormonal symptoms including sweats and flushes. Strange that although you had blood in your urine it showed no infection. If you still have low abdominal pain, it may be worth being referred for a gynae appt to ensure the bleeding and pain isn't from elsewhere eg. A cyst, fibroids or ovaries. Did you get your blood test results from your GP as if you have always felt well on the dose you were previously taking, that may be the dose that treats your thyroid condition the best. I don't think the venal faxing would suddenly make you feel like this unless you have only just started this medication and then it can. 

• Posted

Hi libbyt

I agree with Gizmo.

think you should go back to your GP to update him or her and perhaps take a sample of urine with you.

jean

• Posted

Oops.... Meant to read as Venlafaxine 
    • Posted

what is it prescribed for?

Trimethoprim is one of the many drugs that are contra indicated in Long QT syndrome. I have that but prior to being diagnosed had several courses of trimethoprim which always made me feel a lof worse.Now I know why!!!!!!

• Posted

My GP didn't seem to think I should still be getting menopausal symptoms (but then he is a man!)

Yes blood results were from GP, he didn't explain why he thought the dose was too high, I've been on the same dose for years with no problems.

If these awful feelings don't disappear in a few days I'll defintely go back.

I asked him if the antibiotics could be affecting me and he just laughed and said all medications have side effects! Very helpful

• Posted

Hi Libby

Typical response from a doctor. I am fed up with the 'expected response'.

I research everything now. If you research antibiotic toxicity and then Floxiehope you will get a flavour of what I am on about.

Also research drug interactions on the internet.

Jeanx

• Posted

Trouble is I research symptoms - mine exactly matched those for bladder cancer which is not ideal with my anxiety problems!

I will be very wary before taking antibiotics again

• Posted

Libby

That is a problem when doing research.

Signs and symptoms can mimic several different conditions.

There is a condition called interstitial cystitis which although painful is not a malignant condition. If the bladder is sensitive you can get cystitis caused through irritation of the urine against the bladder wall.

This is neither an infection or due to cancer.

Acidic foodstuffs as can some medications can cause an irritation of the bladder.

Hope that helps.

Jean

• Posted

I would ask him or your surgery to print you out a copy of your 2 most recent blood test results so we can then understand why he reduced your doseage after all these years. Please ask to be referred to a gynaecologist or menopausal clinic so they can do further investigations to find out what is going on. Your GP sounds ignorant to me - has he not read the papers or watched the news lately? Post menopause can last up to 14 years after your periods stop!!!
    • Posted

Yes I will request blood test results.

As for post menopausal symptoms - my mother tells me my grandmother had hot flushes until she died - at 95! - no wonder I'm having problems!

• Posted

Thank you Jean.

I have never had cystitis but understand it causes a burning sensation which I did not have, more of a feeling of pressure & dull ache.

Hopefully it wont return

Libby

• Posted

Eww poor grandmother although she had a very long life bless her:-)
    • Posted

Hello Libbyt:  If you have low thyroid, you can have an early menopause signs and symptoms. Some symptoms are:

1. Tiredness

2. No periods or missing periods

3. Weight Gain

4. Hot flashes/flushes chest area and neck

5. Feeling sweaty at night, Nightgown or pillow wet from sweat.

6. facial hair growth

As we age we lose Estrogen and Progesterone and we get more testosterone.  Ask him why he reduced your thyroid med.  Tell the doctor you had no problem with the dose you were on before.   Can you see an Endocrinologist ?  That is a doctor who specializes in gland problems.  Let us know how you are doing after seeing the doctor.

• Posted

Wow indeed.  If I take after her I only have another 40 years of this to go!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.