GP reduced levothyroxine dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just over a week ago my GP told me I was taking too much levothyroxine and reduced dose from 100 to 75mcg.  This coincided with course of antibiotics (Trimethoprim) for suspected UTI although no infection detected from lab tests.

I have been feeling so weak, shaky, hot, have no energy and can hardly get out of bed.  I also feel 'spaced out' as if I'm not really here.  Could the reduced dose have such an effect so quickly?  

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Libbyt:  I am an RN (Nurse) and I live in the USA.  When you have a UTI, they ask for urine and they put a litmus type of dip stick and it changes colors and it shows if you have bacteria in your urine.  Antibiotics can make you have loose bowels and in some people it can cause you to feel weak or tired or nauseous.  The good thing is the UTI will clear up and go away.  Just having an infection, can make you tired. You may not even know you had a UTI and you may have some painful burning urination until the infection goes away.

Now your dose of Levothyroxine would take  time to reduce in your body since you have built a level.  If the symptoms persists after your antibiotic therapy is over - please contact your doctor and tell him of the symptoms. 

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi shellyC19.  I finished the antibiotics last Wednesday and hoped the tiredness symptoms would have improved but I still feel in a daze.  Will give it a few more days and go back to GP if I don't feel any better. Feel like I'm sleeping my life away!

Many thanks for your help & advice

• Posted

HI libbyt

I would advise just giving the GP a quick ring and asking for a telephone consultation to advise re the reactiion to this particular antibiotic. You may and I stress the word may need a different one.

A repeat urine dipstick test may show if the infection is clearing up or not.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean

GP did a dipstick test last week and it showed no infection.  Maybe I didn't have an infection in the first place as initial lab tests also did not detect infection.  My symptoms were blood in urine, lower abdominal pain (like period pains) and poor urine flow.  These have all disappeared, just left feeling exhausted

• Posted

Hi Liby

I would still go back perhaps another dipstick test may show an infection this time. It does not sound as if that particular antibiotic did anything to help you.

Trimeth can make you feel pretty ill in itself .

Has your heart rate decreased at all?

Jean

• Posted

Heart rate seems normal.

If antibiotics make you feel that ill I'd rather put up with the problem!

Maybe I'm not giving enough time for everything to settle down, just want to be able to function again (nearly said 'normally' but haven't felt that for years!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.