Grade 2 rectocele and surprise enterocele op in one week

Posted , 12 users are following.

hey everyone,

really looking for for handhold and positive support stories.

I have been putting off for 17 yrs getting my Recotcele repaired and bit the bullet after recently having investigations for abnormal bleeding.

At pre-op appt I also had a enterocele diagnosed, I have a wide gap behind my cervix. I had suspected this but no one has ever mentioned it during examination.

I have repair booked in 1 week, I have started  to take movical and oestin cream.  I have recently been diagnosed with early menopause/perimenopause.

what should I expect?  I can't take codiene or tramadol as my blood pressure and sats drop very low.  What alternatives are there? 

Really hoping to to be able to poo without assisting and have piv again.  Am I being overly optimistic?

2 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Feeling a little bit sad and a very big bit angry sad

I have just returned from meeting general surgery consultant in out patients.

He has advised me to make a formal complaint sad regarding what has happened to me (tearful writing this) about the care I have received in respect to lack of pre-op assessments given the length of my history and presenting symptoms and their poor communication. 

Apparently all the paperwork he has identifies the grade 2 rectocele and only one mention of the enterocele. He advised that they should have referred me to gen surg for opinion once they assessed that they did not feel a vaginal approach was going to to treat my problems.

I am now booked for a proctoscopy, rectoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and partial colonoscopy later this month when everything has settled down from the enterocele repair but I think the reality is I won't be able to get surgery to fit and that I will be just getting a detailed diagnosis of my problem...really feeling sorry for myself sad

My new Job starts mid-March and I think the reality is I was to proceed with this I would be asking for a 4-6 week delay...I am so angry with myself that I have procrastinated so long about this that I left no time for wriggle room.

On the positive I have virtually no pain from the op but this is not much of a silver lining.

• Posted

This is not good news, you must be feeling pretty overwhelmed by all that you have gone thru.

How important is the starting of this new job and also can you afford to have more time off?  Will they let you delay the start date?

So you need to have more surgery to be able to function properly again? some of the stuff they have booked you for I need to look up.

​I really feel for you chick and so sorry you have had such a terrible time

• Posted

Hopefully Matron will be in touch with you as she will understand a lot more about what has gone on and maybe offer some sensible guidance as she always does. I think you need to make that complaint
    • Posted

Thank you Kath for the support, really helps to know other people get how I am feeling.

I really don't know what to do regarding my new job start date...my low self esteem cripples me with anxiety and have scenarios in my head where I tell them I may need to delay my start date and they say that's no good and cancel me.  But once I have given my head a good wobble I then think (and my colleagues keep reiterating) they want me and after a 3 month (job notice period) of waiting another month is nothing.

I feel wretched.

Financially it wouldn't be the end of the world for us to by minus my income for a period of 6 weeks...I had built in a two week period of income free time to relocate and sort out our home in the uk (been rented out for the last year).

So cheesed off and kind of reiterates my feelings of the last 4 years that I have been thinking about surgery and concluded it could opening up a Pandora's box of future troubles...

meeting my neigbour for tea and a small walk around the block, which will do me good.  She has had much worse health problems but is so positive and resilient, she is a fantastic role model for positivity 😊

Planning to recover well and get strong!  I am hoping Matron will have some advice or me too.

when I first started thinking about all of this I was so against a colorectal approach but am feeling a lot more open minded.  I know the consultant very well and did feel he really listened to me and do feel better for having someone confirm that what I experience was not perhaps the best of treatment.

• Posted

So what a day I have had!  Today I finally had my appt with the Chiefartz

The brief version is I am scheduled for a new higher enterocele repair, a revision of the first repair, Recotcele repair. They will do a laparoscopy prior to vaginal approach to fully visualise the extent of the enterocele which went beyond the range of the internal uss and to deal with some adhesions.

The Chiefartz confirm his colleague did the repair and could not explain why the rectocele was not repair but apologised and it seemed very genuine and heartfelt.

I felt very 'looked' after,  the dr listened very carefully and read all of my concerns but even he was surprised by this ruddy enterocele.

After a very thorough examination and many, many measurement and images printer the comparison shows that my original enterocele has been repaired.  But that my small bowel has come through a tear higher up than the original site and is ?trapped between the top of my uterus and other bowel structures.

I have been having increases in bowel pain over the last week and a couple of times my bowels have seized and I have become extremely nauseated and have a huge 'pregnant' belly. I am so relieved that have been able to visualise what is happening to me internally, and make sense of this pain that is waking me up several times through the night.

I realise that this going to be a much bigger deal than my first procedure and already trying to prepare myself for a double recovery element. Although I really can't go on like this. I now have some stronger painkillers and looking forward to some quality sleep.

I would be really interested to know if anyone else has had this as a complication and or had surgeries in quick succession like this?  

Feel i I need a ticker tape to count the days...

• Posted

I've obviously not had this surgery but I've nursed ladies who have. It isn't common as you have probably realised. I would agree with you when you mention the pain, ladies are admitted after taking strong painkillers and it's important to emphasise that you should continue to take them because they will help you to relax more. This will prepare you well for surgery because an anxious patient takes longer to recover. Your recovery though will probably be about the same as following a rectocele repair around 12-16 weeks and you should feel the benefit of the surgery very soon after your operation. 

• Posted

Although not logical I do feel things went wrong because I was feeling so driven about my timeline regarding my new job.

Really reassuring, to hear Matronthat I can be realistically expecting to feel better in the bowel department quite quickly. Things got so bad on Friday that I considered going to a&e, three micralax got things going thank goodness but the pain was almost more than I could bear.

The pain is already receding, my friend came to see me this evening and commented that I looked less gritted teeth 😂.

Also reflecting that whilst no two ops can be the same that I will at least have some experience of what to expect. They are also planning to give me prophylactic abx for my bladder, after my problems last time.

So hopefully unlucky once but win win this time! 

• Posted

Hi Mossop I was wondering how you were getting on. I am glad you are finally getting your rectocele fixed and it is awful the way you were treated and that it wasn't fixed when you had the enterocele fixed! I know you will be sore and in pain and as things are still recovering from the last time but hopefully things will be finally fixed for you then and you will feel some benefits soon. Take care and let us know how things go, good luck x

• Posted

Hi Mossup, oh my goodness girl what a journey you have been on.. have they given you any idea when the next op will be ?

​Glad to hear that you feel better after seeing the Chiefartz and have now gained some more understanding in what went wrong.

​Keep us posted xxxx cheers Kath

• Posted

Hi Donna, was feeling so out of sorts, hence the radio silence.  I think I have to accept that the rectocele was just one of those things and thankfully is getting done.  But this buisiness of a new enterocele I really don't fully understand, it makes sense but think I need to research.

I will keep you posted, your good wishes really are helping me to stay positive 😘

• Posted

Hi Kath, I am going in this Friday 🙀

I was was a bit gobsmacked when it was suggested, they had had a cancellation and it was the right amount of time, I am first on the list.

I had gone to the appointment with one of the translators (just in case) prepared for the worst.  I had typed out all of my concerns regarding the previous op and also how disjointed my pre-op appt had been and how I believed that this had been the reason why the rectocele was then not addressed.

In the end I didn't need to be so worried.  He apologised immediately regarding the rectocele not being addressed but was unable to explain why and I didn't see how it would help.  The increasing pain I have been having is much higher and after last Friday I realised that something was really not quite right.

Hopefully the end is in sight and i will be able to 💩 

Hope you are well Kath, really upsetting to see those poor whales on the beaches and then the fires.  The fires have dropped off BBC news so hoping it has stopped.

will keep you posted xxx

• Posted

So glad your on the right track now.  Really hope this surgery gets you sorted and finally comfortable x
  • Posted

Bags packed, and lots of butterflies in my tummy tonight 😱

Really have my fingers crossed that second time round things go well! 

• Posted

Hope everything goes well not sure if you will see this now before the op.  Hope to hear soon that your feeling okay and everything is finally sorted x
    • Posted

Hi, feeling sorted!  Early days but feeling so much brighter than I was at the same stage last time 😊.

• Posted

Really feeling good, compared to last time and even though the operation was bigger and more invasive.  I know it is early days so trying to not develop a false sense of security about this.

No nausea or regular antiemetics and no ibuprofen smile just thinking about a shower!

• Posted

Good news Mossop. Take things easy and get plenty of rest x
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are okay Mossup 😀.

Are you going home soon? X

• Posted

Not sure about home, But think I will be home much sooner than last time. I have had my bowels open and this was ver easy.  But have been sneezing this pm and even though I am supporting myself it is feeling draggy down there but guessing swelling? It is only coming up to 24 hrs since pack was removed.

Bladder is also a bit dodgy but apparently the adhesions were terrible there so think it is still settling.  I used to get a bit of retention and difficulty getting going...not any more lol! 

Going to aim for going home Tuesday.  

• Posted

At least you know more of what to expect this time. Your body has been through a lot, take it easy. Hope everyone is looking after you. X
    • Posted

Oh wow I havent been on my computer for a few days as been busy, Im amazed that you have had your op and its great to read you are feeling so much better than the first time round. Take care and make sure you rest well
    • Posted

Glad you've had your op and you are feeling better than last time! Fingers crossed they have finally fixed your problems this time x Good luck with your continued recovery x

• Posted

Hi Kath, I have to hand it to the hospital, they were very quick at offering me a date!!

Blooming period started last night and has been getting heavier as the day has gone on, an hour ago fell really dizzy after going to the patient kitchen for a fresh cup (a distance the physio said I could do 5 times a day).  Felt so fed up and sorry for myself...started getting angina type chest pain on exertion so no doubt my hb is now in single figures!! 

Really sinking in in what a bigger operation this has been, everything is very swollen down below, my urethra looks like a mini vulva rolleyes 

but no nausea so all is good lol! 

• Posted

I know it is early days but really do feel well smile

Will be taking my recuperation very serious and not over doing anything for the next 6 weeks! 

• Posted

Crikey girl it never rains it pours... angina chest pains on top of everything else. Dont do a "me" and have an unexpected heart attack sad

?When do you get to go home ? I bet you cant wait this time round to go home and get well like most others and its so great its all behind you now. Have you delayed the start time for your new job isn't it meant to be in March ?

?I ventured a look a couple of weeks after my op and oh wow that bruising!. For me now its a whole 7 months since my op and Im feeling really great the joy of having all my bits where they should be and especially the ability to have normal bowel motions is just great. Only other ladies like yourself can appreciate and understand the joy of that "normality.

My hubby and I are planning a trip in April to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. We are booked to travel down to the bottom of NZ to visit Queenstown and Invercargill for the first time which is exciting. Take care Mossup and get well soon xxxx Kath   

• Posted

Wow Kath your anniversary plans sounds so romantic and exciting!  All the better for being able to do things normally wink I am so looking forward to getting home!  My husband has been so lovely, visiting and bringing me things to cheer me up!!

Through the early hours I had two heavy flooding moments, managed to get to the bathroom the first time and felt rubbish but thought, well it was nearly the morning.  Woke up 2 hrs later and found thought I had wet the bed redface, (really has been a long day) more flooding...got myself into the shower and started having the most awful dizzy spell and angina type pain.  Poor nurse was most upset and cross with me (I do now know I should have asked for help, but really have terrible Little Red Hen attitude. I really need to stop being so reluctant to ask for help).

hb had dropped to 8.7 and am now on iron ivs, already the brain fog is lifting but feel dreadfully tired.  Going to the loo requires a power nap to recover cheesygrin. On the positive uss showed everything looks normal, leukocytes are normal, just waiting on urine sample.  I am signed up for three more iron infusions today and tomorrow and if all well home for Thursday!!  Still better than last time!! 

Really looking forward to 7 months from now!  My family will all be in in one location, in what I hope will be our forever home 😍.

Hope work is being kind to you and your day has been a good one xxx

• Posted

Fingers crossed you behave yourself, well I hope your body behaves itself and you get to go home on Thursday. You are naughty not asking for help you need to be kind to yourself !!!, you have been thru so much in the last couple of months. Thanks for asking Ive had a good day at work as things are settling down with incoming goods so its not so hectic. I am sore from doing manchester (linen) yesterday which happens when I hold things up  to fold them like blankets and sheets. I get an ache which seems to come from across my bottom ?? usually takes a few days to settle which is annoying as it aches even when Im in bed at night lying down. Muscles maybe ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.