Graves diagnosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

A couple of weeks ago I posted in hyperthyroidism about my weight gain. I had yet to meet the endocrinologist then. I have now met her twice, ran antibodies tests and a thyroid uptake scan. All of these confirmed autoimmune Graves' disease, I have just been told today.

I am still coming to terms with the information received today and found online... I will start Carbimazole in the next couple of days.

I am not sure what to expect from now, but I do need to feel better, my heart rate is crazy, the tremors are debilitating and I just don't have power to do half of what I could 3 months ago, despite feeling high all the time.

I have received fantastic support here, I am really glad and thankful.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As soon as you start taking carbimazole after 2 weeks the symptoms will fade away.i will tell you when i was hyper i was having fast heart beats and nervousness,fatigue and weight loss...i thought they will never go away but carbimazole is an amazing and really strong medicine that it works.they say its gonna take 3-4 weeks to see results but if you are like me results will come sooner!

i also think that you have to take it the same hours everyday(i did that) also avoid caffeine...let your body absorb carbimazole...that helped me feel better after a week.its hard if you are a caffeine lover but it works

goodlucksmile

• Posted

Thank you Joanna!

I am trying to move to decaf and lower to ony one a day in the morning. Does it mean if it is best if I take Carbimazole away from coffee, so maybe in the evening?

• Posted

the leaflet says the medicine works better if you take it the same hours eeryday.

i had nodules so decaf was not an option for me because they use chemicals to remove caffeine so the chemicals is the least i wanted for my body.i cut it out for a month and it was difficult.the second month i began having my coffee one hour after i was taking carbimazole.my edno said its better to take it in the morning.but you can take it wherever you feel more like it.remember to take it the same hour everyday.having a programme will help you a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.