Great news on recovery.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I broke my ankle 18 weeks ago and am now 15 week's post orif surgery. I went to my surgeon today for the first time since I had my cast removed on April 22nd. I have been fwb without aid an pain for a while now, and can also do stairs unaided. I was very nervous about today, because of so many people on this site really having a difficult time healing. The first thing the surgeon did was send me for x-rays. When he was examining my x-rays my first question was. " Have I bone union?" He laughed and said, " you have good bone union. " I really was over the moon and started to cry, but also for those on this site that have not had good bone union, and yet are always encouraging others. The surgeon told me to carry on with physiotherapy and massage and also do the exercises the physiotherapists gave me. He also said arthritis after a ankle break and surgery is probable especially at my age, so exercise is important. I also asked about having the hardware removed, and he said if it does not worry you to leave it, but if I want to have it removed to wait about a year. So I can now start leading a normal life without fear that I am doing something wrong and will cause more injury to the ankle. To everyone who reads this remember no matter how difficult it has been physically and mentally, there is a great big light at the end of the tunnel. For some it may just take a bit longer than others to get there. To God I give all the glory. God bless you all.

2 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Daphne, great news and good info. I am similar age and 13 weeks post break and surgery. Walking unaided though still with limp. Can go upstairs normally, but ankle still too stiff to go down normally. My next appt is not til next month. I hadn't considered arthritis as a possible consequence!

​BTW, my physio put KT tape on my foot today. Would love to know if this has helped anyone else with swelling/stiffness...

• Posted

Try to step off something 2" high, until you get it down, then a 4" step, etc. to make your way toward loosening up the leg/ankle, to be able to handle going down the stairs. I have been working on this for weeks, and almost have it now. I think some people have more of the downstair leg stiffness than others for some reason. Also try to increase you toe strength, as that will help you be able to push off the step. You can walk with your foot half way over the step to slowly strengthen it too, and it makes going steps down pretty easy while you gain strength.

• Posted

I hate stairs because I fell down them in first place. My stair lift is my salvation. I have nightmares about the stairs. I will though try other peoples stairs with 2 rails- sturdy ones! Physio keeps telling me about trying them. Omdb I say.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Can totally understand your fears. You have put in double time! Start with baby steps..it will eventually come. It seems like another life, only about 4-5 months ago, when I used to run up and down stairs without at thought. We just need a bit more time smile

• Posted

Did mine on the stairs too. I hang on for dear life now and hate it when I come across any with no bannister. Will keep at it.

​Kia kaha and all that...

• Posted

Lol. No banister, no go. That's hat aggravated my bakers cyst. Went to Grandsons first Birthday. No rails on at least a dozen stairs apart from bottom 2. Tried to go down with crutches with husband ahead, son behind, as the spare bedroom downstairs. Got down about 5 then spiral stairs ridiculously narrow. Couldn't get crutches on them. I flopped down on butt, taking weight on bad knee. Then slipped down next 8+. Only comfort was at the bottom there was a small steel rail to haul myself up on. Coming up as bad. On my knees. After that I couldn't bend my knee more than 10%.

@{°^°}®

• Posted

Crutches and stairs are a terrible mix! Ugh...sounds like you like adventure, if you ask me smile

• Posted

Don't go to Mexico. They don't believe in banisters. 

• Posted

Eek! Reminds me of the time I slipped on a pile of dust at the top of the stairs, 8 mths pregnant, and slid down on my butt one bump at  a time. No damage though. You've certainly been through it!

• Posted

No chance of ever getting to Mexico. Lol. Can't even get to other island of NZ. Rarotonga furtherist I've been. :+)

• Posted

Yikes. I got rear ended 9 months pregnant by drunk driver. Slammed my car through a concrete fence. I'd forgotten that. Baby was late and normal. Now over 30 haha.

@(*+'wink@

• Posted

I second that! Grandkids make the time fly by and get you moving, even all casted up. 
    • Posted

Snap. Not my favourite my card game anymore! More like PICK UP STICKS. . now I can't stop lagging. Ratflm*o.

®{°×°}®

• Posted

I'm still laffing. Might add that to the song I've written about my break... Writing still going.

ACC, ST JOHNS & A&E BLUES IN BMinor lol. Played it to my surgeon b4 and after surgery with ukelele.

Still chuckling.......

@(*+*)®

• Posted

Grandkids?

Tried to post a poem but it was banned. So I tried to message people. If I've missed out, ask. I didn't write it.

Quite fitting I thought.©{°×'}®

• Posted

kt tape is awesome. my daughter uses it when she dances. 
    • Posted

im soooooo careful with stairs, and curbs  when out and about. i just dont trust myself and my foot yet. im way overly cautious whereever i am, even going in and out the front door of the house. we have a step, and i have to be very very careful, and hold on to something when i go in and out. 

• Posted

Is Helen the only one who of this? Maybe you guys have different names for these games?

@(*+"wink@

• Posted

I got some and never used it because I wasn't sure how to put it on. I see there are some videos online though that show how to use it. I think it may depend where we all are in the healing process re. using it though. For example, I read I shouldn't use my tie up ankle fabric brace because it would keep my ankle from getting stronger on it's own and firing up all the tendons etc. What are your thoughts on that re. using the kt tape?

• Posted

I have been to a few sporting games, with crowds of people, and I have learned to walk a bit with my elbows out and friends/family walking next to me, so no one can accidentally bump into my ankle. In the past, I used to wear my boot to protect it, but it gets hot sometimes and I prefer to be there in tennis shoes, so this method works well for me. You do become very protective of your ankle. I hear when we are 12 mos. out, we won't really think about it much anymore though.

• Posted

You're brave facing crowds. I wouldn't do it without a broken leg. !

Husband in Car crash last night. Car damaged at front. Mack Truck came out of stop sign. Husband stopped cause he saw truck was coming for him. Wheels higher than car. Demolished bumper. He came hone from Physio late and pale. Then we had a string earthquake during night. Uggh. Reliving the 12,650 we went through a few years back, and the 3 thousand we've had since moving. Emotions getting better of me. Legs fine lol !

@(*+"wink@

• Posted

Shaken up. Lucky he'd stopped. Shoulder pain maybe related. Emotionally freaked. I haven't seen damage yet.

• Posted

If he hadn't of has sense to break frantically and stop, I'm sure the outcome would have been shocking.

• Posted

At least these things can be easily fixed. We take a lot longer, as we have learned. He is very lucky! Have a great weekend everyone!!
    • Posted

TItuscanby1, where are you located?? I saw that there was an earthquake up in WA. Somewhere around tacoma.  My daughter goes to school in seattle, so shes home. 

Anyway, YES, Iam very very protective of my ankle. If i know im walking for awhile, i will wear my boot. Iam going out with my girlfriend on sunday, and will take my boot juset in case. 

Hope your hubby is ok.. sounds scary!!!

take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.