Green Light Laser did not work

Posted , 13 users are following.

My husband had the green light laser treatment for the second time and it did not work. He gets up 8 - 12 times every night to use the bathroom. His urologist is telling us that he will have to live with it. Where do we go from here?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Self Cath (CIC).  Do it before bed and sleep all Night!

Get off the meds that aren't doing him any good anyways, depend on the CIC, (5-6 times a day)   And watch the sex life, come to life!

Use the "compacts". take them anywhere.  Very quick and slick!

A great way to get your life back!  

Good of luck and God bless you for being pro active for him, (and you!)

Coop

• Posted

Additional thoughts:  It is a common, sad theme here: unsympathetic, under-informed urologists.  CIC is too rarely suggested, and has helped so many of us.  To be ble to get up only once a night, or not at all (!), is such a God-send at our ages (I'm 68).  And yet uro-docs don't even bring up the topic.  I learned about it here.  

(1) SpeediCath, Magic-3, or other single-use hydrophyllic (pre-lubed) catheters are by far the best options. He can order samples and go for the one that works for him.  There are straight tips and "coude," or curved tips.  One will work better, one will not.  THey are available in different widths, from FR12 to FR16.  14FR works for me. His doc must prescribe them.  Say NO! to old-fashioned rubber models that must be lubed each time.  UGH!  

(2) Using the graduated measuring cup like JimJames suggests will tell him what his bladder holds each time, and well worth doing.  If he does that while using a catheter, he will know what his bladder is "holding in reserve." and not releasing.  

(3) And while keeping a "Pee Log" might seem a bit, um, "anal," it will provide your husband AND the doc with useful information.

(4) Your husband might want to CONSCIOUSLY stop drinking a few hours before bedtime.  Each of our systems vary, and even our systems are not consistent.  And as we age, for unknown reasons, it appears that for some, the body capriciously doesn't process evening fluids fully until the, um, "wee hours."  So it's almost impossible to eliminate late-night eliminations.  But it is possible to lessen the likelihood with control of intake!  

(5) JimJames has developed a no-guesswork, quick-n-easy method to self-cath, that brings the whole procedure down to not much more time than guys usually spend doing it naturally.  You can ask him for particulars, and there are a couple of threads here that deal with that.

(6) Send your husband over!  We are a merry and un-self-conscious band of bros. here, brought together by circumstances beyond our control, with the main goal of helping each other deal, when the general medical professionals (and urologists in specific) are WAY behind the curve.

(7) You are a good woman, and caring partner, to go where many men fear to tread!  Welcome aboard "Starship BPH!"

• Posted

I would folllow JimJames' advice. It sounds from the description that BPH may not have been the entire (or possibly any of) the problem. That kind of urgency suggests overactive bladder - but without full diagnostics, there is no way to know.

In the short run, have his GP presrcribe a course of Myrbetriq. There is no harm in trying it and until he can get a full workup, this may help with the urgency, if not emptying isn't the problem. CiC before bed AND Myrbetriq might be a solution that could give him a reasonably normal life until a competent Urologist can evaluate him.

For sure, don't go back to the one he's been seeing.

• Posted

O.B.,

Yes, it could be several things but hard to say based on the OP's very brief description. Could be OAB, nocturia polyuria, or my guess an underactive/flaccid bladder, or some combination, but we're just guessing here.

One thing for sure, make sure the diagnosis is correct before starting any sort of treatment be it drugs, CIC, or surgery. 

Kathy, we're not doctors here and cant do a proper diagnosis but we can point you in certain directions so you will get more out of your urologist. 

So, again, try and get together your husband's records including any tests, procedures, etc. You want to know what his condition was going in and coming out of green light. 

Currently, you want to know what his PVR (post void residual) is and again a void log for a coupe of days would be helpful.

Jim

• Posted

Your're right about needing a proper diagnosis, but sometimes it can take months to get into a really good Uro. Myrbetriq will cause no harm and might help him symptomatically, whatever his actual issue(s) is/are. 8-12 times a night is a terrible way to live for months and I don't see how he can be hurt by CiC before bed and Myrbetriq to possibly quiet the urgency. Its a pretty benign drug for most and if he's empty before bed, not much bad can happen as long as he can empty again (naturally or via self cathing) when he gets up.

• Posted

O.B. I agree about a proper diagnosis taking time. I think your suggestion on Myrbetrig is a  good one assuming O.A.B. is playing a dominant role. She should be able to find out very quickly based on just her husband's PVR and void log.

Same with CIC, which I have been known to recommend from time to time smile -- I still would like to hear what some of the numbers are before recommending it. 

Jim

• Posted

JJ - not necessarily. Retention can be caused by bladder issues, BPH and other things. I big prostate can definitely put you into retention/big PVR numbers with a normally functioning bladder. And he won't know how much he's retaining until he sees a Urologist with the equipment to measure it. Could be many months.

I completely agree he should find out what he's retaining. But I also stand by my recommendation. My urologist (a really good one highly skilled, good guy and the top BPH doc at the Cleveland Clinic) once said about CiC vs. natural void, "...I don't care how you get empty as long as you do". That sounded like an endorsment of CiC as a means to that end and many on this forum ( maybe most of all you) can attest to what a life changer and normalizer it can be. Can't hurt, might help. Same with Myrbetriq. If neither helps, he can stop them.

You know from my posts that you and I agree that too much is performed/prescribed by urologists without a diagnosis. But 8-12 times a night really sucks - it leaves someone eseentially non functional. If he could see a good doc in 2 weeks, I would feel differently - but he needs help and these two relatively benign suggestions could make a big difference. Worth a try IMO.

• Posted

OB: JJ - not necessarily. Retention can be caused by bladder issues, BPH and other things.

----------------

I agree and hopefully that was the point I was trying to make. We can agree to disagree on whether her husband should start treating now or wait until he knows what he's treating. Frankly, there was so little information given in the OP's post, that I'm hesitant to recommend anything. And yes, emptying your bladder is emptying your bladder, natural or CIC, accomplishes the same thing. But I'm not even sure that her husband's bladder isn't emptying at this point.

Jim

• Posted

JJ - All true. I'd at least try the Myrbetriq rather than go months and monhts with the schedule he's on. He's going more than once an hour overnight. I wonder what his daytime schedule is?

• Posted

Katy did your husband haveany test on his bladder before the first GL.  No procedure is going to work if the problem is the bladder.  Change urologist. And make sure he has all the test.  It most likey was not the prostate causeing the problem  Its the bladder  Good luck  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.