GREEN LIGHT LASER SURGERY- HAVE YOU HAD THIS????

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone out there had the "GREEN LIGHT LASER SURGERY" for your prostate????   The Doctor that did my Urolift said if I wasn't satisfied with the results of that then the next step would be this type of surgery.  I would love to hear from guys that have had this specific surgery and how they are doing.  Especially in the sex department. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the green light laser surgery 9 days ago. I had a spinal anaesthetic and was kept in hospital overnight. The catheter was taken out in the morning and after peeing twice I was allowed to go home. I was warned to take things easy to allow my body to recover, and look out for signs of infection. I felt remarkably OK, with just some mild discomfort when urinating.

Everything was fine until day 5 when I noticed signs of an infection and passed a couple of blood clots. The doctor gave me a course of antibiotics. I think the antibiotics mess with my guts because I feel like I’m constipated even though I’m not. And on top of that I caught a cold. Day 8 was a struggle and I spent most of it lying down but I can’t say whether this was because of the antibiotics, the cold or the surgery.

I am urinating every 3 to 4 hours and only have to get up once in the night. I have not passed any blood since day 5 and I’m still getting discomfort at the start and end of urination. The stream is strong, like a fire hose compared to how it was before. No more hesitation getting started, no double voiding and no drips at the end. In this respect I regard the operation as a complete success.

I’m now on the last day of antibiotics and just about over the cold. I’ll update on here next week.

• Posted

I had laser surgery 6 days ago

no blood/pain after 3 days and taken 2 painkillers

all week.

Peeing better than before but with really bad burning sensation as it finishes but am informed this is normal.

My problem is i have had a swollen face and rashes all over my body all weekend

looks like some sort of allergy and am about to phone up hospital now for advice!

As for operation even though it's early days the operation itself was a doddle and that's ffrom a total wimp when it comes to having a needle.

Opted for spinal myself as advised it was best pain relief and would recommend it.

Still early days but have had NO pain apart from the uncomfortable burning after urination!

Hope this helps anyone considering similar surgery.

• Posted

I Chuck-

This post was from 22 days ago.

I relate the most to your after surgury results.

What is your status as of now-mid January.

My surgery was Nov 5th.

So far this is my status- much stronger stream and my days are good (can control urges). My nights are still not great: 3-4 times a night. And a little pain just for a second as the stream begins. As far as orgasms- not intense as before surgery and some pain after.

My next follow up is March 4th.

• Posted

What I meant in case it wasn't clear. My post above was in response to your post 22 days ago.
    • Posted

My situation is I have had a PAE and a Urolift but both to "No avail".  I still get up now 4 times a night.  Really tough to get a decent nights sleep when you are doing that.  Sex life is pretty good.  Nice climax etc.  Iam still looking at "all options" but have made no decisions as of now.
  • Posted

I had a green laser done about 10 years ago. I think this procedure was very new at the time. I honestly feel that it was a waste of time. I learned after the fact the the surgeon only removed a very small portion of the area in my prostate, far less than what should have been done. I write it off to the fact that while he was a good urologist, he had very little experience with this procedure. I never felt I received any relief from my symptoms. I was told I would have bleeding for a few weeks, I bled for 6 months. In October of this year I went ahead and had a TURP done. My surgeon told me that he needed to spend extra time removing all of the scar tissue from the gren laser during the TURP.

Everyone is different, and I'm sure there are guys that have had great luck with the laser treatment. My personal experience was poor. In chatting with my TURP surgeon, he mentioned that very few laser procedures are done these days. Before considering a laser (or any) prostate surgery, ask the hard questions of your doctor. "How many of these procedures have you done"? How long have you been doing them? Am I a candidate for a TURP (which is more invasive)? If so, why? Is there anything else being done that I might be a candidate for? You MUST be proactive in your care, ask questions, read as much as you can, go into your doctors office with questions written down and get straight answers.

I had my TURP in mid-October, I still have some pain during urination, and my bladder retention is not back to where I'd like it to be. None the less, it's getting better, and I have every confidence that I'll be back to full capacity in a few months.

Good luck.

• Posted

When my prostate first started to regrow about four years after G.L. PVP I had a consultation with one of the UK's top two urologists. He said that to begin with we thought that PVP was a very simple procedure but we now realise that it has to be done with much more care.

​I very much doubt his statement that very few laser procedures are being done now. We still have the ones who regard TURP as the Gold Standard that they can do without the need of expensive equipment. GL was expnsive because each procedure needed a new laser rod and sometimes two if it was a big prostate that is not the case with Holmium, Thulium and HoLep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.