Green stool , PPI. HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I am a male 24 yrs old. never had any intestinal problems or stomach problems. i'm not overwheight also. i had a bout of anxiety for one week due to college stress and i went to the doctor as i was feeling ill. she prescribed an weak anti anxiety medicine which helped and im no longer anxious. but with that she also prescribed omeprazole so protect the stomach. i took it for 1 week and a half and then i noticed my stool had become green. its been like this for 4 or 5 days and she said to stop taking it which i did 6 days ago. Could it be related to omeprazole which lowered my stomach acid ( inever had stomach acid problems, only a little heartburn when i ate too much candy) or also stomach pain. im not in any intestinal pain and my stool is not diarrhea but it is a little bit loose which has been improving these days. i go to bathroom maybe 3 -4 times a day. a few days ago i had no apettite and was feeling nauseated but that has been improving as since today the nausea is gone and i have more apettite. i would like to know if it can be due to the drugs ( i researched thoroughly and its  a possibility) or some underlying condition. also sometimes i get ( i dont know how to explain it, its not pain just a feeling ) on the ribcage right side, but i cant tell if its from the muscles or the gallblader, the feeling seems much more on the surface than inside and it doesnt really hurt, but im most certain its from a muscle from sitting on the same position. thank you

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have never had green stools when taking omeprazole but I have had mild nausea and itching in the first few days of taking it.  

However, it may be that you are reacting to both the anxiety and stomach medication.  Try coming off them and see if the symptoms go away.  You may need to come off the anxiety medication slowly.

Regarding the right sided ribcage pain, wait for a week to see if the pain goes away.  If it stays the same or gets worse, go to your doctor for advice.

• Posted

but i didnt actually need to take omeprazole because i never had acid problems the doctor just prevented cause anxiety can cause these problems i guess. My anxiety medicine is really weak so was my anxiety, so i didnt need a period to adjust to it, it doesnt cause any side effects or addiction. also, the pain sometimes is on the left side and i can really see its on the surface. also when i touch the ribcage or muscle it hurts a little bit but it is really on the bone/muscle. I came out of the medication 6 days ago, and i have been having green stools 1 week after the medication started and 6 days (counting) after i stopped. i find it concerning because i have no other symptoms (stomach or intestinal pain) its really just the stools
    • Posted

When I was prescribed omeprazole, I already had severe heartburn.  I have never heard of a doctor prescribing a strong medication like this when you don't actually have an acidic stomach.  This medication helps to reduce acid.  But if you don't have excess acid in the first place, you may end up not producing enough stomach acid while on this medication. Some acid is necessary for digestion. I suspect, coming off both medications may improve the colour of your stool.

I got my heartburn because I suffer from anxiety but I prefer not to take medication for it because I always have bad reactions to prescribed medication.  You can get good over the counter antacids which are milder.

• Posted

Exactly you get heartburn while anxious. As i was in the beggining of the anxiety (had only been feeling it for a week) she wanted to prevent it. so maybe low stomach acid is the cause. i just hope that it gets better, it was worse, the stool aspect a few days ago now it looks a bit better. I wish you the best, thanks for your help
    • Posted

im sorry to bother you again but i forgot to ask something. ive been off omeprazole for 6 days how long do you think it will take to things to go back to normal? how long does it stay on your system?
    • Posted

I haven't found any exact answers,  Some people still have side effects for two to three weeks or even up to three months after stopping treatment..  Some get rid of them within 48 hours.  I suppose it depends on how long you have been taking the medication.  I think everyone is different.  My side effects were mild and only lasted a few days while taking omeprazole. I adjusted to the medication and when I stopped it I had no reactions.
    • Posted

well let's see how it goes. one thing is for sure, i will never take it again. thanks
  • Posted

It's nothing, it's caused by bile, well bile when it's not interacted with stomach acid, that's why poo is brown, it's bile. It does sound like you are going to have some problems with your gallbladder in the long term though smile
    • Posted

You think , in the long run? cause i never ever had problems with stool before or any health issues. cause now i feel fine no nausea and stuff and i also feel good after eating so maybe the stool that will be passed referring to these meals will not be green, or so i hope, because it takes like 48h for it to pass through intestins. thanks
    • Posted

Yeah, maybe in a few years. PPI's mess up the whole acid / bile equilibrium, you'll probably find you've passed some undigested food as well, it's all perfectly normal smile  
    • Posted

Well lets hope i dont get sick in a few heres, ive been to 24 years without any diseases, just some colds once in a while nothing more, thats why im so alarmed and was so alarmed at the anxierty physical issues i had. Yeah i was passing a lot of undigested stuff a few days ago, now i dont see as much stuff in the stool just the color and a few bits. Thanks man, i wish you the best.
    • Posted

Stiil going green. But now my apettite is good, and i notice its trouble digesting fat, i see not much undigested food as before so i think im getting more acid now , because they are a greenish brown mixture. still soft tho
    • Posted

Renato81673,

Did your dark green stool eventually resolve? I started Omeprazol (Prilosec) about two weeks ago and have dark green soft stool.

D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.