Greenlight surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I just had my Greenlight surgery today. All went well and came home. Said was pretty blocked up. Have no pain and will have the cath removed on Monday. Hope I can pee on my own again. Been so long It is hard to remember. Not supposed to drive or do anything for awhile. He made that very clear. The hospital here in Pa has really nurses. Two emergency hospital stays and today's surgery I have nothing but nice things to say about the nurses. Seasoned and new ones. They make it all much easier.

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Excuse my grammar errors I am using a IPhone. I really am a good speller and grammar person.
  • Posted

Don't lift or do anything stressful.   Go to Netflix and watch a good series.  DRINK PLENTY of WATER!   You will make frequent bathroom visits after the cath is out.  This is normal.  You will also pass some blood and/or a few scabs; therefore, drink lots of water.  You will be just fine and your life will be SO MUCH BETTER!

• Posted

Vaughn,   I wish you the very best of luck.

As you may have seen from my posts, I had PAE 8 days ago so we are both recouperating at the same time.

I posted daily about my experiences for the first week.  Now I'll post when something changes.  I hope you'll post often too.  If PAE doesn't eliminate or at least greatly reduce my BPH symptoms, I'll be looking for another type of treatment, perhaps greenlight if you do well.

How did you come to chose greenlight surgery?  Was there something special about your condition that led you to this choice?

I haven't seen much written about it, did you see positive outcomes reported?

With PAE the expectation is that 70% of patients will see good outcomes, starting 3 weeks after the procedure.  Whats are your expectations?

Again, best wishes, Jeff

• Posted

Jeff,

Where do you get the 3 week after number for PAE ? I also had (second) PAE around 8 days ago - I didn't see your daily postings re PAE.

Regards,

Michael

• Posted

Michael,  

My postings are on this thread:  My PAE Experience Today

About the 3 weeks, Dr. Bagla mentioned to my wife that thats when we should start to see results.   I hope so because I'm worn out.

What were you told regarding when you might see improvement?

Did you get any improvement from your first PAE?

• Posted

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for response - the first one did not help much, but probably staved off the condition worsening - so maybe 5% improvment?

I was told after first procedure that there seems to be 2 types of patients. Those who see immediate improvements (after the first week period) and those who seem to improve after "weeks or months". I've never heard of a 3 week period, I suspect Dr B was hedging, so if you felt results after one week great, if not you shouldn't expect anything for a few weeks. Or maybe he was being more accurate than my surgeons because he has done more and knows it's 1 to 3 weeks.

Did he tell you after that the surgery was a success and he got in enough material ?

I was told that first PAE got "50% of material" into arteries and that my surgeon had success with a second PAE of someone who had only 25% the first time.

Good luck! So far I can say I feel a bit better but not a significant improved stream as others have reported.

I've had BPH for at least 5 years if not longer, so my bladder is used to going every 1-2 hours. Even if procedure helped it might take a few months for bladder to get used to new conditions.

• Posted

Mike.  Sorry for the problem  They do say that PAE does talk awhile to see impovement  Just relax and give it so time  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks Ken,

Yes well after so many years of being obsessed with the condition it's difficult to let it go, I suppose I was influenced in this forum after reading some of the miraculous stories of instant success, and since it didn't work the first time it's that sinking feeling of "not again"

I'm encouraged today to hear it takes longer even though the surgeon told me about the two distinct groups of patients who see instant vs "weeks or months" success.

• Posted

Yes as you know we all heal at diffrent speeds.  Just relax and let your body do it's job  Ken

• Posted

Mike;

I'm having some really bad days and want to ask your opinion on whats happening. 

First can we switch over to the thread "My PAE Experience Today"  since we're not discussing Greenlight?

• Posted

With that procedure it is going to take time for the prostate to shink. Be patient after having had laser surgery PAE is the one I would choose if back in square one.
    • Posted

Thanks Derek, did you have Green Light? Didn't it go well ?

• Posted

It went brilliantly and it was one of the earlier procedures in 2005. I have never ceased telling doubters here that.

See my other post:

I had BPH for ten years but after GL PVP my catherter was out in the morning and life was really back to normal on day three.

• Posted

Thanks - looks like if you get a good surgeon it's not a bad option and as I mentioned my friend in Australia just had it done and is quite happy. My Urologist moved to another method of cutting away the tissue which is blocking - I forget which one, he says it's less messy and recovery time faster.

• Posted

My surgeion was only doing his eigth procedure but I had utmost faith in him. About three years ago they went over to HolEp as being fractionally better than the new generation GL. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.