Greenlight surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I just had my Greenlight surgery today. All went well and came home. Said was pretty blocked up. Have no pain and will have the cath removed on Monday. Hope I can pee on my own again. Been so long It is hard to remember. Not supposed to drive or do anything for awhile. He made that very clear. The hospital here in Pa has really nurses. Two emergency hospital stays and today's surgery I have nothing but nice things to say about the nurses. Seasoned and new ones. They make it all much easier.

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vaughn, Glad to hear your GL surgery was a sucess. Did you have urine rentention before surgery? Thats my problem. What kind of test did you have to take before the procedure?

looking forward to your response.

thanks,

• Posted

Frank, It all started on August 9th. I was having pain and could not urinate. Finally went to ER. Have them a urine sample. Then they took blood. Hooked up an IV. Then after the blood work came back they hooked up an antibiotic drip . The ER Dr popped in and said I had sepsis from my UTI. That really scared me. White blood count was up to 22.

They kept me for 3 days . Couldn't pee much so the nurses started to cath me. First time ever in my life. The first time I was tense. After that wasn't so bad. They had me cath myself so they could see I could do it myself so I could go home. Urologist came in and did the finger check and said the prostate was inflamed from the infection. Went home and started self cathing 3 times a day. Two weeks later went to urologists office and he seen the medicine wasn't working so he set up day to do the scope. Went for it and watched screen and I was glad the bladder was good. But the prostate had the uretha was all but closed off . Set up to do Greenlight surgery 5 weeks out. Kept cathing myself. Then at about 6 weeks with cathing I had trouble and pain with blood so went to ER. Went in begging nurse to cath me. Made me wait till scanned bladder to see how much I was retaining. I was in serious pain . She finally put in a foley cath and the bloodly urine came out. Then said have to put in an irrigating cath. Said it was a little bigger than the other one. Went from a 16 to a 22. Thought I was going to pass out. Once it was in and the fluid started to flow the pain went away. That was 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Kept me 2 days on irrigating and antibiotics. Set up for preop tests while I was in there. Dr upped surgery to this past Wednesday. I went home with the big cath and leg and night bags.

Cath I have now is a 20 and much more comfortable. Tired of laying around. Not allowed to drive and not to do anything strenuous for several weeks. I am semi retired on small Social Security. Still have to work a little. Had to put my Goldwing away.

Just got a Jon boat and was going to go fishing on a small lake when this happened. Had a mini stroke 2 years ago. Now have an enlarged heart with a leaky valve. I'm 63 years old. What happened to the golden years.

Was going to wait on my social security a few years but decided I might not live that long.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that but it was like that with me to a point.  It was August 9th the same date as you but in 2014  I had my son take me to the hospital.  I was running a fever of 103 shaking I was yellow and could not walk to well  My son helped me to the car.  When I got to the hospital they took my blood and told me that I had sepsis My white blood count was over 25.000.  They told me that I had it in my blood for at least 6 weeks.   They ask me for a sample I told them that I did not need to go and I don't pee on demand.  My doctors know that.  Well 10 minutes later I had 2 nurse come into my room and told my son to leave  All the time I was asking what was going on.  The male nurse told the other nurse to take my pants off.   I ask again.  And the next think I know was feeling him force the catheter in me.  I gave up after that he pulled that one out and force another one in with this one he was pushing it in and out asking me if I had a prostate problem.  He never got it in.  They both left and my nurse came in to clean the blood off me and put a new gown on.  They took me to my room were I got in to the bed and heard the 3 nurses talking that they needed to put a catheter in.  When I heard them open the kit up I lifted my head up and told them no But they did it anyway  Never got it in.  I they told them that I said no.  They told me they did not hear me.  I peed a hour later on my own.  They were looking to see if the infection was in my bladder.  I was in the hospital for 6 days on IV's and they went home with a port in my arm Had to have IV's for 11 days.  All is good now.  2 weeks after I got out of the hospital I saw my urologist.  He was the best thing that came out of the whole ordeal.  He is great.  The reason they could not get a catheter in me was I have a stricture just before the prostate.  Prostate was fine at the time.  Had a urolift done a year later.  Just had everthing checked   All is good   I do carry papers from my doctors that I can only have a 14fr coude catheter put in because of the stricture.  Also they have to have my permission to do anything on me.  Been in the hospital for many other thing.  But they will never put a catheter in me again without my permission.  Sorry this was so long  I hope you get better  Ken

• Posted

What you had was malpractice. You should see a lawyer.

Neal

• Posted

Yes I know  But it was my word against the other 2 nurses.  I did file a complant.  Was told that they did tell me but I know They did not.  My son was in the room when I first ask  they did not even tell him what they were doing.  I have gotten better with it but it is something I will never forget.  I do have papers that say other wise.    I carry my paper with me at all times.  They were done by a notary.  I have been in the hospital for many other reason.  I have had 3 A-fib attacks my gallbladder out stent put in my heart and a heart attack.  After I had my repair for my urolift They were very nice in the same hospital when I went in for retention was bleeding .  I told them what kind of catheter I had to have and she said no problem.  The only problem I had was with the Urologist that was on duty They were flushing me out but I was still bleeding had to have emergency surgery.  He said that he did not know why I was bleeding that it could be my prostate.  I refused to have the surgery until he sign a paper that my prostate was not to be touch or removed.  It took me 15 minutes to do it but he did.  Im sorry I do not give any doctor full control to do what they want when it comes to my prostate.  If it was my urologist I would not have had a problem  He know how I feel.  It turn out to be 3 blood clogs on my prostate he burned them and I had to have a 24 hour flush with as 24fr 3 way catheter that sucked...I'm doing ok now but I will allway carry my file with me.  Have a nice day   

• Posted

Hi Vaughn, So sorry to hear you had a lot of problems. I hope this is all beyond now. Did the GL surgery help you? I hope it did.I will probabley have to go that route also.

• Posted

My urologist said green light laser spans a broader area so surgeon has limited control over the area touched by laser. In contrast, there is a Resolv method where he has to touch the area to vaporise the tissues and is a preferred method.

I'm going for it and will let you know how it goes. He said retro is a given and I would not ejaculate normal way after surgery.

I have a catheter in for 5 months and last time it was changed got me infection, swelling my right testicle and it took 4 weeks of cipro and lavoquin to get rid of it.

Frank: my urine output overnight is about 2L which is very high based on your comments. My Urologist never asked about it though.

• Posted

Hi nktoronto, What is the Resolv method? Is this better than GL PVP? 

Ask your URO this question? Your overnight output is 2 LT ?Thats high

mine is 1500 ML .My Uro said even after GLPLV surgery because of this i would still get up 4 X a night . Good question for your URO. I would like very much to know what he says?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Ken,I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope all is getting better fot you> As for me i started self cath 3 days ago ,i have to do this around 3 to 4 hours ,it gets me up in the early morning hours,which the foley catheter never did.I heard that self cath can help with urine rentention? Have you heard this. I still take medicine Avordart and Flomax,uro tells me to take 2 flomax a day.

• Posted

Hey Frank  Just got out of the hospital again.  I have to have a heart ablation.  My A- Fib is getting worse.  I hope this does not mess up my bottom half   Only peed 900cc in 48 hours the last 400cc I had to force myself before I left the hospital.  I e-mail my doctor today.  Enough about me.  I think you will get better as you keep up the self cath.  It better they any surgery.  Just relax and it will be ok.   Ken  
  • Posted

What made you decide for GL? Did you compare it with HOLEP? or there was no time to research?

You are in PA, USA?

• Posted

Hi Vaughin, How long were you in the hospital?My urologist ,said this was an out patient surgery,go right home. I have a foley catheter in 4 months now. Because of my 1000 ml  urine that comes out over night ,he says hes not sure if the GL or other procedures would correct my rentention,H e said i would probaly still get up 4 times a night?Doesn't sound good.

• Posted

In the UK it started as Day Surgery but now they tend to keep you overnight.
    • Posted

HI Frank,

What's the connection between your overnight urine output and your gl

surgery? I have a catheter for last 5 months and about 2 litre is drained in the

bag overnight but that really depends on the intake.

• Posted

Hi < Last nite overnite urine output was 1500 ML Their are 30 ML to 1 ounce

1500 ml = 50 ounces. My uro said that a bladder should not hold more than 10 to 20 ounces. H e suggested taken a ADH {anti diaretic homone blood test.I haven't done this yet. Have you heard about this test? I too have urine rentention,5 months with a foley catheter.I'm still hoping the medicine will shring the enlarged prostate.

• Posted

Hi Frank,

Most of the reading I've done on normal bladder capacity says this: normal functional bladder capacity in adults ranges from approximately 300 to 400 ml. 600 ML seems to be kind of high.

John

• Posted

Human Anatomy says:

"The normal capacity of the bladder is 400 to 600 mL. During urination, the bladder muscles contract, and two sphincters (valves) open to allow urine to flow out. Urine exits the bladder into the urethra, which carries urine out of the body."

I fairly often pass 600ml in the morning if I have not been up in the night. 

• Posted

Hi nktoronto, MY uro said  even after GL surgery i would still get up 4 times throughout the night to pee. Reason?.overnight urine output with foley catheter,has been around 1500 ml. Does this make sense?
    • Posted

Hi Derek, My over night urine out put with the foley catyeter has been around 1500 ML . thats a lot.i don't know why this is happening. Thier is a test ADH ,  Has any one on this forum had this test? and knows something about it??

• Posted

When I was on Foley catheter before and after my Greenlight surgery my overnight output was between 1400 and 1600ml. Since they removed the catheter 5 days ago I only get up 1 to 2 times a night. I am going real good with no effort. I hope in a few weeks when I go back to urologist the bladder scan shows my bladder is fully emptying .
    • Posted

Antidiuretic blood test measures the level of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) in blood. It evdently affects the pituitary gland to make you pee more. 

Some medications can affect your output.

For years I was passing more in the night than in the day. For some reason I am passing less now.

• Posted

Frank why have the GL surgery if it's not going to fix the problem Ken

• Posted

Hi Derek, This is very interesting. I was told by PCP if you pass more than 4 liters a day[128 ounces] per day] than youhave Vasopressin? I haven't checked this out yet.  My overnight output has been 1200ML to 1500ML 

thats a lot. I'm checking my 24 hour urine output. I was told by uro,that even if i have surgery{prostate enlarged},i would still get up 4 times overnight. Any ideas on this ??

• Posted

Hi Ken ,Why do you say GL Surgery won't fix my problem? Urine rentention ,caused by enlarged prostate?

coud you do me a favor,ask your URO this question? I pee around 110 ounces in 24 hours ,and i don't drink that much liquids. Could this be the Medicine i take Dustusteride,and flomax?

thanks,

• Posted

The reason I say that is you still will be getting up at night 3 or 4 time and you may still need a catheter.  I just want you to have something done that will fix the problem not cause more  I will send a email to my urologist and see what he has to say.  Take care Ken
    • Posted

I can't answer about Vasopressin that is for your Uro's expertise. 

You will need to keep a record of your input as well as output. I used to pass quite a lot more than I was drinking and the Ueo accussed me of bad record keeping.

I assume that if GL does not stop you from needing to get up in the night it will stop stop urgency during the day and improve your flow. 

• Posted

Hi Ken, Thanks for that info. Looking foward to your Urologist answer?

Thanks,

• Posted

Your story seems to be with the positive outcome of laser surgery. Was it gl or holep. urologist was touching the muscles or just pointing? Was he vaporizing or cutting with laser.

I am scheduled for laser turp.

• Posted

It was Greenlight with vaporizing the tissue. It was 11 days ago. The last few days I have a little discomfort in the uretha, not bad and no blood although there will probably be some as the scabs start to come off as it heals . Told that is normal. Nice to be able to go like normal again . 6 weeks of self cathing and 2 weeks of having in dwelling cath along with 2 Emergency hospital stays in 2 months from infections including sepsis, I am ready to get back to normal. Glad I have insurance.
    • Posted

Hi, Did you self cath for 6 week s before you had GL ?

Thanks for that info. I have a foley catheter in 5 months ,no surgery yet ,still have urine rentention. Still taken medicine. My uro wants to do  a cystoscopy and prostate ultra sound,before i do the self cath. I don't see why i can't self cath before doing these tests.I can sincerely appreciate your thouhts on this.'

thank,

frank,

• Posted

Hi, Glad you told me that,thats what i thought. My uro made it sound like i have a problem. He says if your overnight output is 45% of your daily ouput ,then you have a problem. You will still get up 4 x a night to urinate after surgery?

I don;t get it?Do you still get up 4 times a night  after your GL surgery?

thanks,

• Posted

I was self cathing after the first hospital stay due to retention . Uro I did scope when medicine wasn't working and found prostate had uretha closed off. Scheduled Greenlight about 6 weeks out and to continue cathing till then. After 6 weeks total of cathing I got a bladder infection and was back in hospital so he upped the surgery to 10 days out and sent me home with in dwelling cath and bags till then . Had the surgery and another 5 days with cath and he removed cath and I have been having good results so far.

• Posted

Hi vaughn, I just started self cathing,and it seems like i have to do this quite often ,like i get the urge to pee but can not i'm 

in rentention like you was..  Were  your self cathing  times around 3 hours apart?I still am taking avordart and flomax hoping this will help ,now I'm getting doubtfull after 5 months. How long did you take medicine? ? I want to thank you for this info. At 87 years old I'm finding its painfull to self cath.Did you have pain also with self cath? I 'm now thinking Greenlight.I'm glad to hear you had a successfull surgery.They put you in the hospital for rentention? The first thing they did to me was catherize me,and left a foley catheter in 5 months ,changed every month.Did your Uro want to do Turp-before he sugessted Greenlight?

• Posted

I had severe sepsis from UTI due to retention. Had to clear that up. Flomax and something else wasn't working. I was self cathing 3 times a day. About every 8 hours. Maybe I wasn't careful enough but I got a serious bladder infection after 6 weeks of cathing and ended up back in hospital. They upped the surgery and sentence home with an indwelling cath. He never mentioned anything buy Greenlight.

• Posted

Hi nK, I started self cath 3 days ago. I might go back to the foley catheter.I have to self cath about every 3 hours ,i get up middle of the night to self cath. Have you heard that self cath is a procedure for retention?Have you tryed to self cath ? I'm still taking medicine Avordart and flomax.Uro tells me to take 2 pills of flomax daily.I might just go have a Green light.What are your recent decisions?

• Posted

Self cathing wasn't painful but not fun. I used lots of lube. I am only 63 years old. You have 24 years on me. Did you make it that far before having prostate issues? I only took the drugs for 7 weeks. My prostate had the uretha almost completely closed.

I had no idea I was that bad. One day I'm fine and the next day I am in severe pain and can't pee and end up in hospital . That sepsis could of killed me .

• Posted

Hi nK, I heard that self cath could help urine rentention? Did you hear anything about this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.