GreenLight Vs Urolift

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi

I live in Toronto, Canada. I have been suffering with BPH for the past five years. I am 54 years old with no children and don't expect to have children. I am faced with two options. Take the greenlight surgery which is completely free and is paid by the government health insurance. The other option is to do the Urolift, but it will cost me $10000 which is not covered by insurance and has to come out of my own pocket. $10000 is a lot of money for me. I am not sure how long the urolift will last and if my prosate will keep on growing even with the urolift in place.I really don't know what to do. Hoping that you'll can give me some suggestions.

1 like, 129 replies

129 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Daniel,

I am also in Toronto and have BPH and on catheter for last 4 months. Uro is pushing me for laser TURP but I am not able to make up my mind. Is UROLIFT an option in Canada, supported by OHIP insurance?

• Posted

Hey Guys I just pull up some information on OHIP Insurance.  It said they will pay for anything that is medically necessary.  They will not pay for cosmetic surgery.  So just find a doctor that does urolift and don't be forced to have a turp by the doctor  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

Hi Ken

Just out of curiosity,, are you from Ontario, Canada? Well I checked with a urologist at Toronto Western Hospital and he told me that OHIP does not cover Urolift. He charges $10000 CDN plus HST for four implants.  Thanks

Patrick

• Posted

Sorry that your having a prople with finding a doctor that does urolife .  Canada is a little behind.  I have to make a comment on here.  I have been very good with not saying anything against any procedure.  I have not been answering many.  If you are doing fine with the taking a few pills  Why have surgery and all the problems that may come with it.  I would rather take a few pills they deal with problem like leaking, incontinence and retro injaculation.  These problem can happem.  Some men go for the surgery and they are fine others may not be so good.With everything that happens but some men do not want to deal with the problems.  Dealing with leaking wareing a diaper or retro ejaculation.  Some men can handle it but the are some men that the orgasm is very dull and not near the same as before they want it back.  And being that they can't they give up on sex because it is not worth the feeling that they get.  That is not right   Left is to short to deal with the problem that can come up with surgery on the prostate.  Some doctor tell us that we don't need the ejaculate were not having kids.  It is down played.  But at any age it is still ejoyable..  Something men have to have more then one.  The have many 2 turps a holep How much can a doctor cut away from a man...So if I have to take a few pills to make me urine better I will and not have a surgery that may give me more problem  This is my opioion and I have a right to say anything I like just like everyone else.Also remember some of you men on here have ended up having many surgerys and you still have a problem.  You never know if one will do the job I wish everyone good health and may god help you make the right decision   Ken

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the info. I live in oakville, Ontario. How can I find what kind of surgery is done for prostate. Urologist told me it's laser TURP resolv, but I can't find any info on resolv. I know there are different kinds like Holep, Holep,.. But which one is done in Canada?

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Can someone from Ontario go for TURP surgery in Montreal Quebec?

• Posted

Hi Nk

I am sorry, I know of only procedures in  downtownToronto. I know that there are only two choices available. The standard TURP where they shave off the prostate with a blade and the Greenlight laser method. Like I said according to my research, there are a couple of urologists who do the Urolift privately and you have to pay around $10000 from your own pocket. OHIP does not cover it. I don't know of other procedures in the GTA like Oakville etc. I also don't know if you can go to Montreal and do the TURP surgery.

• Posted

Hi Ken

I really do appreciate your input and advice which is very helpful. I could not do the urolift because I have a very large median lobe. I did a PAE trial and it did not work for me because of the medium lobe. I am now looking to do the REZUM, but I have to travel to the states to have it done. I am thinking of doing it in either New York or San Antonio. I have two urologists in mind in each city.

• Posted

Sorry for the quick answer  Was on my way to my sons house for the night.  I live in a moble home park and it was mandatory to leave. ..... Now to give some kind of answer to you and everyone.  As you know Derek we have agareed and disagreed over the last few years.  What I say is my opioion and it will not change anyones mind.  But all I ask is before you pick a procedure that you are aware of all the side effects and what the out come should be.  You know yourself Derek that you have had to have many procedure to keep yourself going.  Alot of men are hoping that this one procedure that they pick is going to fix the problem.  Not have another one 6 weeks later or another one to fix what the other one did.  All I said was to the man the other day is not to have the helop if the pills are working why mess around with a procedure that may work or may not work.  Alot of men do not have the the same opioion  It's either the procedure or nothing  Being a man I know the outcome of alot of the procedure I would not want to deal with them  I would give up sex all together if I had to deal with retro.  It is not the same for me the orgasm are very flat and not worth the time.  I would not live like that. That is why I had the urolift.  Your procedure has finely worked for you and your happy. And I am happy for you.  That is all I want for every man on here to be happy with whatever procedure they pick  Life is to short to live life depreased and want to die.  I have a friend like that  I call him every morning to make sure he is ok.         He had cancer and was talked into a radical prostatectomy by his doctor  he was told everthing will be fine and they also did a nerve sparing surgery.  Well it's been a year and all he want to do is die.  The only way he can have sex is to give himself a shot in his penis which will last a hour but he has told me to have a orgasm it take him 1 1/2 hours to have one.  And he said that there not worth the time.  so he does not have sex to much.  He will if his wife ask.  he said he take care of her and just gives up after  At 51 you should not have to deal with something like that.  So men please be aware of everything that the procedure that you pick  Ask the doctor questing and ask friends.  Remember you are the one that will have to deal with the outcome not your doctor.  He doe not even know if it will work.  He hopes so..Take care all  Ken 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply.  You know that with a PAE take more time to early up to at least 6 month's  Rezum is a good procedure to  I hope you get better before you have to have anything else done  I know your doctor told you 85% retro on the other procedure.  It depends on the  surgeon how good he is and if he distroy the bladder neck.  Which most of the time they do.    Take care  Ken

• Posted

Not 'many' procedures just two. GL PVP I picked for myselt as the procedure of choice. I would have had it again if it had been readily available in my area. As we had moved the Uro who did my one was now 400 miles away and was now doing Holep that would have been a good choice.

I did  not know much about Thulium/Holmium before I had my second procedure but thought that it would do what was needed and is quite similar to HoLep in what it does. Initial recovery was longer but really only because in the rush to be rid of me I was sent home with a catheter that was left in for too long. Neither procedure though has made me pee like Frankel or California Chrome.Still does anyone really need to?

• Posted

Sorry I throught you had a Turp and a GL   I guess all we need is to pee a llittle and no retenion  Have a good day  Ken
    • Posted

I hope that your Caravan is still there on your return,

I guess you know the song where my caravan has rested:

Where my caravan has rested

Flowers I leave you on the grass

All the flowers of love and memory 

You will find them as you pass.

• Posted

I refused the TURP that the Uro said that I needed as a matter of some urgency in 1995 for my 35 grm prostate. I continued to refuse them while I waited for a reliable version of laser surgery reach our shores. 
    • Posted

I'm glad you waited..  35grm is not that big.  When you get to 60 and 80  That is where the problem is  Ken 

• Posted

That is a old song and sometimes very true  Have a good day  Ken
    • Posted

In those days their first thought was surgery. Now they start off with drugs.
    • Posted

Sometimes the durgs work and you don't have to have surgery.  They are the lucky ones.  I say if they do work leave the surgery alone.  Why open pandoras box   Ken  

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the info. Did you go through surgery already? what was your experience? How did you research about available options for surgery in Ontario. In Montreal, HOLEP is available but how do I find out if it is done in Ontario?

• Posted

The drugs all have side effects with Tamsalusin being the worst as it can reduce ejaculation, cause RE and eye problems,
    • Posted

Well when you get older you have less of a ejaculation cause you don't make as much  But at least you still have it.  With surgery they distroy the ejaculation duck and cut out most of the sex nerves that are attached to the prostate.  In plain english they do a h..l of a job on us men.  That will never happen to me.  I feel that peeing is important but my ejaculation is just as important.  It goes with my orgasm  And at 61  it is going to stay that way.  I hope you have a good weekend Ken  

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

I m also in Toronto. That's a good info. Ohio got to support urolift and Rezum asap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.