Groin pain

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone I'd written on this group at 10 days post op and felt good but didn't know how I'd progressed ... I'm now 4 weeks post op and have a question . About a week ago I started having pain in my groin - both sides and this is really stopping me progress. I have seen a few threads commenting on groin pain and wondered what people's thoughts were and if it goes. It's quite painful and worse on my left side (had right hip done) makes me feel disappointed like I'm going backwards instead of forward !!!

would be grateful for any replies or anyone who's also experienced this!

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Angel,  I posted about my groin pain which started nearly 2 months after my half hip replacement and has now lasted nearly 3 weeks.  Only in operated on hip though.  Mine seems to be deep in groin as doesn't hurt if I prod the area.  I don't know if it's muscular or not but was advised to take it easy. (not difficult as I have MS as well). I've been taking anti inflammatory pain killers for a week but not working.  My pain gets much worse at night and when I wake up.  My leg really doesn't want to straighten as it seems to tighten and stiffen.  Sometimes i feel the sharp pain just when I'm sitting doing nothing.  Like you, I feel my recovery has been stopped in it's tracks as I was doing great until this started.  I'm hoping to get an MRI or ultrasound to find out what's causing it as I don't want to be stuck with this.  Does seem to be a common problem.  If the scan shows up anything, I'll tell you but of course we might be getting the same symptoms for different reasons.  

• Posted

Hi Carol oh dear sounds like you are going through it too rolleyes I guess it's a big op so bound to get aches and pains after but so frustrating. I hope they  work it out for you from the MRI scan .... it definitely stops the confidence boost you get at the beginning, leaves you feeling very frustrated ! Let me know how you get on

regards

angela x

• Posted

Carol my symptoms exactly same as you .., worse in morning and leg doesn't want to straighten and sort of judders. I want MRI

scan as it's 7 months and going nowhere despite 2 nd round physio .. at 7 months ! Let me know how you get on . I see surgeon in June .

• Posted

Yes, I get a juddering sensation.  I've done almost 10 days of ibuprofen and resting groin muscle but no difference so don't think it's an inflamed muscle.  I will certainly post any info. from scan.  Think they are doing ultrasound first.  Just wish they'd hurry up!

• Posted

Just heard that my MRI is on Monday 8th May.    Won't get results immediately but will post if it finds something that's causing this groin pain.

• Posted

Won't see the surgeon until end of month but appt. with locum involved talk about possible iliopsoas tendonitis.  Symptoms match mine.  Onset of groin pain weeks after op., pain getting off a chair, pain straightening leg, occasional clicking noise and spasms even when sitting doing nothing. I know I'll probably have to try more ice packs and physio but that's not working.  Can anyone advise me about the surgical options?  I had a half hip replacement. If I have to have the op. to release tendon, is it a major one?  Has anyone been through it?  Any info. appreciated.

• Posted

Said I'd update you.  MRI results show tears in acetabular labrum.  Seeing surgeon on Tuesday to discuss options.  Googling it would be more accurate than me.  Pain exactly the same so want surgery but don't know how successful it will be.

• Posted

Hi Hazel, you are still not better, sorry to hear this. Im not so bad ,but last few days have some pain around the scar and leg. Perhaps cold weather. Also having spasms wchich wake me up during the night. If pain will go on few more days going to see doctor.

I was OK but now having pain and even if put insole in feel im limping again and did not only when I was realy tired.

Now hopefully soon my next hip will be done.

Take care Hug Madla💗

• Posted

I posted about groin and buttock pain because it frightened me and hurt so much. I kept up with my exercises as best I could but rested plenty too and the pain went off fairly quickly, ie in a few days. I thought I had a problem with the joint itself but I didnt, the joint is solid. its surprising how painful groin pain can be. if ever youre in doubt though, do check with your physio or doctor for peace of mind.

Best wishes x

• Posted

I've also experienced groin pain at different times during recovery. I'm almost 12 weeks post op. For me, part of it was using muscles in a different way post op than I could pre op. You're only 4 weeks out (& I know it feels like a lifetime) & will likely experience different muscle pains as you recover. Listen to your body, rest, ice & do your exercises (not my strong suit). You're doing great. It's a long recovery.

• Posted

#What I am curious about is how long people do physio and how often..?? so you old hippies..ones seven months or a year post surgery.. please let me know how often.. what type.. .and how much?. Naturally I am ' little goodie two shoes' right now two weeks in because I am terrified of a dislocation but it seems like most people become complacent or  sick of it or both and just stop physio...... Has any one avoided all pain?  because it seems like alot of people go along smoothly for  while and then the uglies arrive...

and if anyone is painfree.. what did they do ?

• Posted

hi libby, 

it depends ....

maybe you can start your own discussion .. I am sure  that many other forum members will share there experiences and tips '''

angel blessings and i hope to see your post shortly

• Posted

Hi Libby, I was one of the lucky hippies, pretty much pain free recovery, just a bit achy at times. Think my surgeon must just have been really careful. Also, apart from my hip I was healthy. I didn't get any physio, had my sheet of exercises which I did for 6 weeks. Used 1 crutch until then. Had my 6 week physio check, she said I was doing fine, and discharged me, without my crutches. She said that the best exercise was walking, and from day 2 I was strolling outside . I'm 9 months post op and feel pretty normal. I bike to work and mostly don't think about my hip. However reading the forum, I suppose it could all change yet. I wish you all the best, Judith

• Posted

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I too am not experiencing much pain two and a half weeks post op and I am enjoying walking with a walker which the surgeon says I must use until the six week mark. How long did you  maintain your ninety degree restriction? My knee is so bad that the physio assumed I had had a knee replaement when she saw me at the two week mark. It looks really bent and funny but isn't hurting. I am wondering if this will change of course because my body looks completely different and  I gained an inch and a half after the surgery in height.. I was basically completely bent over while walking and could not straighten. I have a severe scoliosis. 

• Posted

Oh Libby, you sound as if you're doing well. I'm sorry about your scoliosis.

I was very careful about the 90° restriction. I didn't bend over completely until about 12 weeks, but I could still manage to do what I wanted. After 6 weeks I could reach low down stuff by sticking my good leg out behind me. I could also kneel down ok. I like having baths, but I kept with the shower until 12 weeks because I wasn't sure about getting out of the bath.

I'm glad that you are able to walk more easily now. Hope your recovery continues to go well, Judith

• Posted

Well Libby I am the 7 month old hippy... I squeeze a ball between my knees, stretch adductor muscles, move bad leg side in and out on a elastic band thingy ... bit of swimming .. but it all

Hurts . My doc said work Thro the pain ... mmmm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.