Groin pain after hip replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

I AM 16 months post hip replacement, i am getting a groin pain now in the same side

I wonder if anyone had the same problem and what is the doctor say

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Following this because I'm exactly a year post op and having the same thing. Luckily I've got my year check up on Tuesday so might get some answers then.

• Posted

following to see if any answers

i am 8 months and been suffering about 2months with this pain as well

• Posted

Do you know what approach the surgeon used?

Anterior, Lateral, or Posterior (Front, middle, back)

• Posted

hi

mine was side or that is were scar is i suffer the same JOE And MADDY

i have read how much you have going through yourself and finally doing do well which makes me happy to hear

i have been following since MARCH 2018

• Posted

That could be lateral, or posterior. The difference is not large between those two. I have two posterior, one lateral.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

Like you and Maddy I have had groin pain since the THR exactly 12 months ago..The X-ray indicated the hip is ok the problem seems to be with the psoas and adductor muscles. I have had 2 ultrasound cortisone injections, first one 4 weeks ago the second just over 2 weeks. I am still having some groin pain so don't really know how effective they have been. The ultrasound showed inflammation . I am seeing the surgeon later this month so hopefully will get a better understanding of what's going on. Didn't expect to have pain 12 months on.

Take care.

• Posted

hi MARY

thanks for info

i also have groin pain been doing massage physio chiro laser and exercise nothing helps

xray shows new hip is good surgery was 8 months ago

had blood work and CT scan and both normal no infection which is good news

i am hoping for MRI with dye as that is what showed i needed hip, everything else showed no major problems ,

wish they would order one already. It IS a 3-5 month wait to get one and i too never expected pain like this after recovery Still not sleeping and getting depressed after trying do much

hope you get some answers you can share with us

SUE

• Posted

I am 20 months post THR with flexor groin pain for last 3 months. The surgeon calls it iliopsoas strain, and advised nsaids (eg. Naproxen) and stopping aggravating activities. So I have given up bicycling. I have to pick up my leg with my hands when I get into the car, when I get into bed, and when I put on my pants. So far, it hasn't gotten any better in 6 weeks of this and I miss bicycle riding. My online research shows that iliopsoas tendinitis or tendonosis occurs in about 5% of hip replacements. Sometimes the problem is an acetabular cup that is too big and impinges on the tendon. The surgeon only said that the tendon is frequently weak prior to hip replacement, and is easily strained. We are going to have a more in depth talk in a month.

After my hip replacement surgery I noticed that the hip would click at the end of a step during the extension phase. This probably signified that the tendon was impinging on the new cup. One and a half years after THR I fell backwards and in the process of jerking my legs up into a ball, I must have injured the tendon. Since then I have the symptom that I had prior to hip surgery: hip pain when getting into the car and lifting my leg up. The good thing is that it doesn't hurt during level walking. The bad thing is it does hurt walking upstairs, up hills, and when lifting my leg to put it into a pair of pants or to get into bed.

Online articles talk about medical (conservative) therapy not being very good, including steroid injections. Some surgeons replace the cup with a smaller cup but one author said that surgery is much more invasive, and you get just as good results by just cutting the tendon. Some surgeons only make cuts in the tendon and lengthen it, others cut it (divide it). I don't understand how I will be able to flex my leg if the tendon is completely cut, and I don't want to lose functionality. At the same time, I don't want to live the rest of my life like this.

I will say that it is better then before the hip operation, when I couldn't even walk straight without pain. Looking forward to hearing from fellow sufferers of post-THR tendinosis, and from any surgeons or manufacturers that might be lurking. Thanks.

• Posted

I am really sorry to hear about your tendinitis. I had a brief bout with what I would call an aggravated psoas muscle. About 2 months after my surgery, I tried to carry a wet basket of laundry up the stairs, and I strained the muscle. I had many of the same symptoms you describe, but not the clicking. But mine also bothered me when I was walking on level ground, so I had to go back to using a cane.

A nurse on another hip website recommended psoas muscle massage. I found someone in my community who knew how to do it (iliopsoas muscle massage). I had 3 massage sessions over one week. It really helped. But my psoas muscle (which was too tight), to relax. The massage itself is kind of painful, but it did help my situation.

Another thing I found out is that sitting is one of the worst things you can do if you have a tight psoas muscle. I had been sitting around for 2 weeks in pain before going for the psoas muscle massage. So after the massage treatment, I made it a point to do more walking and less sitting.

I don't know if this would help your situation. If your psoas muscle is impinged instead of just tight, then probably not. You might want to discuss with your doctor first and see if he thinks it might help, and if he could recommend someone who is experienced in this kind of massage.

The author of the following article is not regarded favorably by everyone in the medical community, but I think she makes some good suggestions and you could bring some of these things up with your doctor if they apply to you.

https://www.drnorthrup.com/psoas-muscle-vital-muscle-body/

I hope you find a solution for your problem.

• Posted

HELLO BARB, read the site on psoas muscle had a lot of good advice. i had no idea it was considered a vital muscle.

Made a lot of sense to some of the pain I had been experiencing . thanks for the info.

• Posted

I guess my message got posted after all. Glad you found the information helpful.

• Posted

Groin pain must be most common complaint so you're not alone. mine went away with time. I was warned off steroid injection into tendon as success rate isn't great.

• Posted

Im over 2 years after hip replacement and i dont have big groin pain but i have buttock leg pain towards to knee and around the hip. MRI show bursitis . Blood test no infection. Have problem with sleeping. My GP recomanded steroid injection. I hope you get better soon My pain is specially when i resting.

Hug Madla

• Posted

Im over 2 years after hip replacement and i dont have big groin pain but i have buttock leg pain towards to knee and around the hip. MRI show bursitis . Blood test no infection. Have problem with sleeping. My GP recomanded steroid injection. I hope you get better soon My pain is specially when i resting.

Hug Madla

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.