Groin pain after hip replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

I AM 16 months post hip replacement, i am getting a groin pain now in the same side

I wonder if anyone had the same problem and what is the doctor say

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I saw my orthopod at 4 month from date of iliopsoas strain He said that the X-ray lateral view showed no impingement by the new acetabular cup. Also, the timing of no pain for 18 months after THR is against a problem with the THR. So its just an iliopsoas strain. Says to avoid any PT that attempts to strengthen the flexor muscles, until the pain is completely gone. Says it takes anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 months. Says stretching (hyperextension) is okay. Offers radiology guided cortisone shots without much enthusiasm, and the literature does not give cortisone shots any credit for long-term success.

Good news is that it us gradually getting better. I can slide into the car without having to lift my leg, and can flex the hip to 45 degrees without pain. It started getting better immediately after I started the stretching exercises.

• Posted

Can you tell me what kind of exercises you are doing? I had iliopsoas strain the end of September due to lifting and carrying upstairs something too heavy at 2 months post op. I had iliopsoas massage and that helped alot. I was fine until a few weeks ago when I had to sit for most of the day traveling- 3 hours of it in the back center seat of a car where I couldn't move much for the 3 hours. Then I got sick and sat and layed around for 2 weeks. Now the groin pain is back- not as bad as before but definitely back. I really don't want to go back for a massage during this busy holiday season. I also think stretching exercises could help, but I don't know which ones to try.

• Posted

Hi Barb.

I have used 3 stretching exercises (hip extension). I have been careful not to do any strengthening exercises (hip flexion), because the surgeon says to wait until all pain is gone.

Here are the 3:

1. Lie on bed or sofa, with buttocks at the edge. Put affected leg out and down to the floor, while flexing non-affected knee and bringing it up to chest. THen, contract the buttocks of the affected side, to put pelvis into posterior tilt.
      2. Lie in bed on your non-affected side. Flex affected side's knee, and grab the leg and gently pull back as far as it comfortable. If the knee hurts, put a pillow between it and the downside leg. If the quadriceps is too tight, reduce the amount of knee flexion: the main point is to extend the hip. Finally, contract the buttocks on the affected side to tilt your pelvis towards you head.
      3. Lie face down on the floor. Push up as much as you can with your arms (similar to a Cobra position) and contract the buttocks. For extra stretching, bring the non-affected leg forward and outward, and flex the knee and hip so that your weight is partially on that leg.
    • Posted

You can see these and others by going to YouTube and searching for psoas stretch.

• Posted

Thanks, Jeff, for these stretches. I did go online and found a couple of them demonstrated. I will give them a try and hope that they help with the groin pain. I can tell the psoas muscle is tight, and it is also affecting my lower back I think. I do too much sitting around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.